musical genre you hate !

Tick

what music makes you want to vomit the most ?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. what music makes you want to vomit the most ?

• country
    • rap
    • reggae
    • classical
    • disco
    • opera
    • speed metal
    • gregorian chant
    • bluegrass
    • r&b
    • jazz
    • adult contemperary
    • salsa
    • swing
    • world beat
    • folk
    • doo wop

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 24 2007, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 24 2007, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 24 2007, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 24 2007, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 24 2007, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 24 2007, 05:56 PM)
What's with the 'doof-doof' hating aswell?

Go out one day, and go to a rave, and you won't be dissapointed. Much more fun than going to a rock concert. And once again, it's people looking in the wrong places, there is some VERY good d'n'b out there.

Nah....

Rave was shite the first time round and it's still shite now wink.gif

The UK has the BEST DJ's out there. No matter if it's Drum and Bass, House, Breakbeat, Jungle and so on...raves are fun. My friend is a professional breakbeat DJ and it's always a good night when she is mixing Pink Floyd with DJ Deekline and Wizard.

I went to a couple of these big raves in the early 90s....Hated them with a passion, and I can see no reason why they would be any better now.

I have no interest in DJs whatsoever, all they are doing is (albeit skilfully) mixing other peoples stuff. A computer programme could do it just as well.

Check out DJ Q Bert. Damn that guy is amazing! and no computer program can do this. Period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKD0dJvaPOU

Sorry, but that was about as interesting as watching a plank warp....

Obviously, you have no clue how hard it is to do. I've tried it...and it's hard. and i'm a drummer! laugh.gif

Need to be skilled to be a DJ...need to be super creative as well.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 24 2007, 09:54 PM)

Go out one day, and go to a rave, and you won't be dissapointed. Much more fun than going to a rock concert. And once again, it's people looking in the wrong places, there is some VERY good d'n'b out there.

Nah....

The UK has the BEST DJ's out there. No matter if it's Drum and Bass, House, Breakbeat, Jungle and so on...raves are fun. My friend is a professional breakbeat DJ and it's always a good night when she is mixing Pink Floyd with DJ Deekline and Wizard.

I went to a couple of these big raves in the early 90s....Hated them with a passion, and I can see no reason why they would be any better now.

I have no interest in DJs whatsoever, all they are doing is (albeit skilfully) mixing other peoples stuff. A computer programme could do it just as well.

Check out DJ Q Bert. Damn that guy is amazing! and no computer program can do this. Period.

Obviously, you have no clue how hard it is to do. I've tried it...and it's hard. and i'm a drummer! laugh.gif

You missed my point completely. I know full well that it is very hard to do as my stepson was quite proficient at it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is utterly pointless and about as entertaining as herpes

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 24 2007, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 24 2007, 09:54 PM)

Nah....

You missed my point completely. I know full well that it is very hard to do as my stepson was quite proficient at it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is utterly pointless and about as entertaining as herpes

Good. smile.gif Now it's all about tastes. End of story.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Feb 24 2007, 10:22 PM)
I didn't vote as I try not to let the genre automatically affect my opinion on a piece of music.

I agree. There's really no one genre I don't like, but plenty of artists whose work I don't enjoy. Earlier I posted that I didn't care for country & western, yet if you asked me about the Dixie Chicks or Rosanne Cash, I'd give a different answer. For me it's about quality musicianship & lyrical integrity.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 24 2007, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:53 PM)
To say...you don't like Rap or hip hop...because you just don't like it...and it's not for you...Thats ok.  Everyone has their tastes.  smile.gif

To say...you hate rap because it's garbage and it just guys talking with a beat, is just ignorant.

goodpost.gif

No its not. Its mindless guys (often) talking over a simple beat. It blows.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 24 2007, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 24 2007, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:53 PM)
To say...you don't like Rap or hip hop...because you just don't like it...and it's not for you...Thats ok.  Everyone has their tastes.  smile.gif

To say...you hate rap because it's garbage and it just guys talking with a beat, is just ignorant.

goodpost.gif

No its not. Its mindless guys (often) talking over a simple beat. It blows.

Tell me the beats on Paul's Boutique are "simple."

When it comes to rap I always go back to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - it's one of the most brilliantly produced albums of all time. There's nothing simple about it, nothing sounded like it before it was released and everything sounded like it after it was released. Rap may not be everyone's cup of tea but anyone serious about music has to at least acknowledge some of the innovations and expressions it introduced as a genre. Rap is here to stay. Get use to it.

... I still don't know what "Adult Contemporary" is.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 24 2007, 08:39 PM)
Rap is here to stay. Get use to it.

Ugh, I'm used to it, I'm used to it! Over 20 years as a popular genre, how can I not be used to it? It doesn't mean I'll ever like it at all though...

At least it's better than country music. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ Feb 25 2007, 01:20 AM)
... I still don't know what "Adult Contemporary" is.

that would be like, celine dion, whitney houston, phill collins(his bublegum stuff) elton john (his bublegum stuff) etc...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 25 2007, 04:30 AM)
Rap is here to stay.  Get use to it.

Ugh, I'm used to it, I'm used to it! Over 20 years as a popular genre, how can I not be used to it? It doesn't mean I'll ever like it at all though...

i dont like rap, so i dont subject myself to it, ever !

as far as what you say goobs, a senario, your stuck you in a padded cell and made to listen to ganster rap and contemperary country for a 24 hour span. after the first 12 hours a man enters the room and gives you the choice of one or the other for the last 12 hours, id lay my money on you choosing the country music. yes.gif

country.

it doesn't surprise me that rap is the most hated on a rock band board. but at least rap has groove to it, country is probably the most stale of all music genres there is and hardly ever shows any emotion what-so-ever.

at least rap has a decent beat.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 24 2007, 11:39 PM)
When it comes to rap I always go back to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - it's one of the most brilliantly produced albums of all time. There's nothing simple about it, nothing sounded like it before it was released and everything sounded like it after it was released. Rap may not be everyone's cup of tea but anyone serious about music has to at least acknowledge some of the innovations and expressions it introduced as a genre. Rap is here to stay. Get use to it.

+1

One of the greatest discs of all time and I caught that tour.

(In response to Ticks posts)

Oh no, now the masses of TRF have spoken, we better stop sticking up for this rap genre, because, i mean liking a something, or a band, who are hated by all but one certain section of music fans is completely wrong sarcasm.gif

Fridge, If you haven't been to one in ages, you won't know how fun they are! tongue.gif So i'm guessing you don't like the indie-rave thing that seems to be sweeping across the UK?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 24 2007, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 24 2007, 02:50 PM)

Probably disco and that Gregorian chant stuff (Can that even be considered a MUSIC genre? )

Gregorian definitely has a very legitimate place in music history. Check out this link that gives a basic primer on the genre:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_chant

Unless your a music scholar... schla03.gif

In that case were's Yodeling? laugh.gif

And that off shoot of Reggae ,Ska?

Remember those UK bands The English Beat,The Specials and who could forget Madness- House of Fun and ONE STEP BEYOND !!! They were funny reminded me of Monty Python. smile.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 25 2007, 12:48 PM)

Probably disco and that Gregorian chant stuff (Can that even be considered a MUSIC genre? )

Gregorian definitely has a very legitimate place in music history. Check out this link that gives a basic primer on the genre:

Remember those UK bands The English Beat,The Specials and who could forget Madness- House of Fun and ONE STEP BEYOND !!! They were funny reminded me of Monty Python. smile.gif

There's a Gregorian Chant on the new Rush record.

Well, one can't say "unless you're a music scholar" about Adult Contemporary, that's for sure. I'm not into Gregorian chanting, either, but I do give it its due.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 25 2007, 12:57 PM)

There's a Gregorian Chant on the new Rush record.

Wasen't there one on a Van Hagar album?

Wow, I really dug ska back in the early 80's. I still enjoy it for it's sense of humor, combined with some pretty sharp political commentary thrown in to boot. The Beat's first disc was a fav.

There's some decent ska revival 2 stuff out there. Save Ferris, Reel Big Fish, et al. Makes me want to dig up my old porkpie & skinny tie...

653.gif Skankin'!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 25 2007, 06:42 PM)
Fridge, If you haven't been to one in ages, you won't know how fun they are! tongue.gif So i'm guessing you don't like the indie-rave thing that seems to be sweeping across the UK?

I didn't even notice an Indie rave whatever sweeping the country to be honest, so i can't tell you whether i would like it or not.

Plus, I think at nearly 40 years old I would feel a bit of an old fart a rave, don't you? wink.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 25 2007, 06:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 25 2007, 04:30 AM)
Rap is here to stay.  Get use to it.

i dont like rap, so i dont subject myself to it, ever !

as far as what you say goobs, a senario, your stuck you in a padded cell and made to listen to ganster rap and contemperary country for a 24 hour span. after the first 12 hours a man enters the room and gives you the choice of one or the other for the last 12 hours, id lay my money on you choosing the country music. yes.gif

that's where you're wrong. mind you, i don't like rap at all, and gangster rap is the worst, but country just makes my skin crawl after 2 seconds...

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 25 2007, 02:16 PM)

Remember those UK  bands The English Beat,The Specials and who could forget Madness- House of Fun and ONE STEP BEYOND !!! They were funny reminded me of Monty Python. smile.gif

Wow, I really dug ska back in the early 80's. I still enjoy it for it's sense of humor, combined with some pretty sharp political commentary thrown in to boot. The Beat's first disc was a fav.

There's some decent ska revival 2 stuff out there. Save Ferris, Reel Big Fish, et al. Makes me want to dig up my old porkpie & skinny tie...

653.gif Skankin'!

I seen Lilly Allen on SNL a few weeks ago she reminded me of a blend between Ska,Reggae . Really good!! yes.gif smile.gif