musical genre you hate !

Tick

what music makes you want to vomit the most ?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. what music makes you want to vomit the most ?

• country
    • rap
    • reggae
    • classical
    • disco
    • opera
    • speed metal
    • gregorian chant
    • bluegrass
    • r&b
    • jazz
    • adult contemperary
    • salsa
    • swing
    • world beat
    • folk
    • doo wop

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Feb 23 2007, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Feb 23 2007, 02:51 PM)
waffen093.gif  firedevil.gif  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Rap makes my blood boil no.gif  moon.gif

Yes thats it biggrin.gif

Rush fans are hopeless

Please explain why? its only my opinion unsure.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 23 2007, 02:10 PM)
Hmmm..

Country or Rap?

Jesus, it's like choosing between Leprosy and Cancer!

Using your example, rap would be cancer, which is just detrimental to the person who has it, whereas country would be leprosy which is also contagious.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Feb 23 2007, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Feb 23 2007, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Feb 23 2007, 02:51 PM)
waffen093.gif  firedevil.gif  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Rap makes my blood boil no.gif  moon.gif

Yes thats it biggrin.gif

Rush fans are hopeless

Please explain why? its only my opinion unsure.gif

Don't give me that opinion crap. It's not just you.

The most close minded people for talking about music are Rush fans... I thought I would never say this... ohmy.gif

Oh well. To each his own I guess.

What I don't like about this Rap bashing thread...and yes it has turned into one...is that people give rap a bad name...when they are simply looking at the wrong stuff. I feel like a f***ing broken record here. I don't know how many times I have said this. "Your listening to the wrong stuff....Find a local band"

Give your heads a shake, will ya??? There is a huge difference between the rap that YOU hear on the radio and rap/hip hop that is semi underground...or is underground (local). You think K-Os is crap? Just some guy talking with a beat? Wake up.

Those people on the radio? Yeah they sold out. THEY sold out to the industry. Listen to something soulful... not the garbage you hear on the radio. There are several rap/hip hop artists I could name that would be worth listening to. I just don't get you guys. *shakes head*

To say...you don't like Rap or hip hop...because you just don't like it...and it's not for you...Thats ok. Everyone has their tastes. smile.gif

To say...you hate rap because it's garbage and it just guys talking with a beat, is just ignorant.

I'm sure if I really searched I would maybe like 1% of 1% of country or 1% of 1% of rap. By like, I mean music that I think is good, but that I wouldn't want to actually buy. Just because I might be able to tolerate 1 out of every 1,000 acts and maybe, for argument's sake, I might actually like enough to own 1 out of every 10,000 acts, doesn't mean I'm gonna say I like the genre or have repsect for it. Yeah, it might be a gross generalization to say I hate country or I hate rap, but it's true. Just because I might like 1/100th of 1% of it doesn't change that. Sure, I could spend time going to websites to try and find that 1 act I might like or I can go to clubs to try to find that 1 act that I might like, but why would I want to? There are genres where I know I like a high percentage of what I hear. Isn't that a better use of my time?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 23 2007, 04:01 PM)
I'm sure if I really searched I would maybe like 1% of 1% of country or 1% of 1% of rap. By like, I mean music that I think is good, but that I wouldn't want to actually buy. Just because I might be able to tolerate 1 out of every 1,000 acts and maybe, for argument's sake, I might actually like enough to own 1 out of every 10,000 acts, doesn't mean I'm gonna say I like the genre or have repsect for it. Yeah, it might be a gross generalization to say I hate country or I hate rap, but it's true. Just because I might like 1/100th of 1% of it doesn't change that. Sure, I could spend time going to websites to try and find that 1 act I might like or I can go to clubs to try to find that 1 act that I might like, but why would I want to? There are genres where I know I like a high percentage of what I hear. Isn't that a better use of my time?

sure.

I'm just pissed about people merging rap into shit...I think i'm EVEN more pissed off at the industry.... laugh.gif cuz it's all bullshit...and I'm in this industry helping local artists. Frustrating to say the least.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 02:40 PM)
The most close minded people for talking about music are Rush fans

Oh my god. I have been wanting to make that exact post for the longest time, but have been afraid to. Thank you.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

If Country & Western were I choice, I'd pick it. I like classic country, it's got great soul. Today's popular country & western turns my stomach. Rascal Flats comes to mind. 062802puke_prv.gif

Barring some of the silly choices (gregorian chant?!?!), I can honestly say I like something from every genre listed, so I will not cast a vote.

Also, some of us here should listen to what D-13 and PuppetKing2112 are saying as constructive criticism - there is A LOT of good music out there! Listen up! Ya might actually like some of it! yes.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 23 2007, 07:04 PM)
Barring some of the silly choices (gregorian chant?!?!), I can honestly say I like something from every genre listed, so I will not cast a vote.

Also, some of us here should listen to what D-13 and PuppetKing2112 are saying as constructive criticism - there is A LOT of good music out there! Listen up! Ya might actually like some of it! yes.gif

I laughed when I saw that category. But I actually used to listen to my mom's collection of Gregorian Chants, on vinyl. Not such bad stuff. Spiritual & historically interesting.

The rap I've heard has not given me a good impression. People always tell me, "You're looking at the wrong stuff!" What else is there to look at? I don't think they'll play the "good rap" I've heard about at the next school dance. They'll play "Getting Down wit My Ho" or "Bullets in my Grill". That's what my peers listen to. That or the senseless noise called nu-metal that's just double bass + distortion + screaming.

My peers listen to a lot of country, though. I don't think country is THAT bad. It's not my favorite genre, but I can certainly say I've heard country songs I like. I saw Keith Urban on SNL and he was good! Hank Williams Jr is another one I like. A lot of the other stuff, though, is sort of bland, but not bad like the rap I've heard or OPERA!!

I think I have been a bit narrow-minded lately as far as really just being into prog. It's not that I don't want to hear anything else, but whenever I'm in the mood for something to listen to, nothing else pops into mind. My band teacher lent me some jazz CD's, though, and it looks like jazz could be my next fixation. I listened to 5 of the 8 tracks on a Weather Report CD he lent me and I thought it was just awesome. So it's a slow process getting into new genres... I'll get there, though. I have only 8 precious dollars per week, so I can only get so much at a time and that doesn't help. But I'll get there. I'll check out all the artists I've heard about eventually if it takes me decades.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 23 2007, 05:35 PM)
The rap I've heard has not given me a good impression. People always tell me, "You're looking at the wrong stuff!" What else is there to look at? I don't think they'll play the "good rap" I've heard about at the next school dance. They'll play "Getting Down wit My Ho" or "Bullets in my Grill".

This is true. But since when have school dances ever played good music anyway?

10 rap albums you should check out, that aren't "Gettin Down wit My Ho" or "Bullets in my Grill":

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

Digable Planets - Reachin'... (A New Refutation of Time and Space)

The Roots - Phrenology (or anything by them, really...and since you're a drummer, they're really worth checking out for ?uestlove, one of the best drummers I've ever seen live. Ask your drum teacher, he probably knows who these guys are)

Mos Def & Talib Kewli - Black Star

Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (one of the most musically innovative records of its era)

Common - Like Water for Chocolate

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (Absolutely mind-blowing instrumental hip-hop)

No, none of this will get played at your school dances, it takes away airtime from 50 Cent and Mike Jones. But good music.

And as for the only getting $8 a week thing, I have one word for you: Download.

Or, talk to me on AIM sometime, and I can send you some good stuff.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 23 2007, 05:35 PM)
The rap I've heard has not given me a good impression. People always tell me, "You're looking at the wrong stuff!" What else is there to look at? I don't think they'll play the "good rap" I've heard about at the next school dance. They'll play "Getting Down wit My Ho" or "Bullets in my Grill".

This is true. But since when have school dances ever played good music anyway?

10 rap albums you should check out, that aren't "Gettin Down wit My Ho" or "Bullets in my Grill":

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

Digable Planets - Reachin'... (A New Refutation of Time and Space)

The Roots - Phrenology (or anything by them, really...and since you're a drummer, they're really worth checking out for ?uestlove, one of the best drummers I've ever seen live. Ask your drum teacher, he probably knows who these guys are)

Mos Def & Talib Kewli - Black Star

Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (one of the most musically innovative records of its era)

Common - Like Water for Chocolate

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (Absolutely mind-blowing instrumental hip-hop)

No, none of this will get played at your school dances, it takes away airtime from 50 Cent and Mike Jones. But good music.

And as for the only getting $8 a week thing, I have one word for you: Download.

Or, talk to me on AIM sometime, and I can send you some good stuff.

He knows what he's talkin about wink.gif trink39.gif

I came into this expecting to vote for (or really, I suppose, AGAINST) punk, but since it's not on the list, and something I hate even more (but had forgotten about) was there, I went with opera. I was a music major in college; I have a good appreciation for what is loosely referred to as "classical" music, even though I don't listen to it much. But I absolutely HATE opera.

The operatic singing style developed around one objective: projecting the human voice to the back row of a large hall in the days before amplification technology existed. To me there's nothing either artistic or enjoyable about it. Strident tone, heavy vibrato, dynamic range from extra-loud to extra-extra-loud. Yuck.

Besides punk and opera, the kind of music I dislike most is the schmaltzy overwrought vocal pop of people like Celine Dion. I think of it as music for people who don't REALLY like music.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:30 PM)
The Roots have a drummer? Is it like rock/rap?

No, they are a hip-hop group that happens to employ musicians rather than a DJ. Damn talented musicians at that. I saw them a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.

Pretty much all of their albums are worth checking out, but my favorites are Do You Want More??!!!??? (1994), Things Fall Apart (1999), Phrenology (2002), and their latest, Game Theory (2006). Anyone in this thread, who says that rap "doesn't take any talent or musicianship," maybe try these guys out for size.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:30 PM)
The Roots have a drummer? Is it like rock/rap?

No, they are a hip-hop group that happens to employ musicians rather than a DJ. Damn talented musicians at that. I saw them a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.

Pretty much all of their albums are worth checking out, but my favorites are Do You Want More??!!!??? (1994), Things Fall Apart (1999), Phrenology (2002), and their latest, Game Theory (2006). Anyone in this thread, who says that rap "doesn't take any talent or musicianship," maybe try these guys out for size.

Damn. I am definetly going to have to check these guys out now.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:40 PM)
Give your heads a shake, will ya???  There is a huge difference between the rap that YOU hear on the radio and rap/hip hop that is semi underground...or is underground (local).  You think K-Os is crap?  Just some guy talking with a beat?  Wake up. 

Those people on the radio?  Yeah they sold out.  THEY sold out to the industry.  Listen to something soulful... not the garbage you hear on the radio.  There are several rap/hip hop artists I could name that would be worth listening to.

I definitely agree with this. I used to think that all rap was the same gangsta-shit that is recycled over and over on MTV and the like. But after a Roots recommendation from both PuppetKing and my drumming teacher, I bought Phrenology and it's just really good. I've also heard a few tracks by The Beastie Boys which are really fun tunes.

Otherwise though, the gangster-rap is really, really bad shit.

On that list, I dislike most doo-wop (except for doo-wop songs from Zappa which are done tastefully), country, bluegrass, and Gregorian chant.

EDIT: BTW, I voted for Country. IMO, jazz, classical, and swing should not be on that list.

Edited by Rush!

I voted ©rap, but I hate doof-doof just as much, and the utter shyte that passes for RnB these days.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 23 2007, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:40 PM)
Give your heads a shake, will ya???  There is a huge difference between the rap that YOU hear on the radio and rap/hip hop that is semi underground...or is underground (local).  You think K-Os is crap?  Just some guy talking with a beat?  Wake up. 

Those people on the radio?  Yeah they sold out.  THEY sold out to the industry.  Listen to something soulful... not the garbage you hear on the radio.  There are several rap/hip hop artists I could name that would be worth listening to.

I definitely agree with this. I used to think that all rap was the same gangsta-shit that is recycled over and over on MTV and the like. But after a Roots recommendation from both PuppetKing and my drumming teacher, I bought Phrenology and it's just really good. I've also heard a few tracks by The Beastie Boys which are really fun tunes.

Otherwise though, the gangster-rap is really, really bad shit.

On that list, I dislike most doo-wop (except for doo-wop songs from Zappa which are done tastefully), country, bluegrass, and Gregorian chant.

EDIT: BTW, I voted for Country. IMO, jazz, classical, and swing should not be on that list.

You should check out the bluegrass version of the Wall for a good laugh. Personally, I apreciate the musicianship of the genre, but it's much more tolerable live.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 24 2007, 12:01 AM)

I have to agree with most of this.

I respect what Puppetking and D-13 are trying to say, but remember, most people who are a bit older (I'm not trying to be patronising here) have a lot more "hands on their time" and life commitments prevent us from spending all our spare time listening to and discovering new music.

As a result we have to use what time we do have a bit more wisely, and I'm afraid it's simply playing the percentages. We can stick to a genre where it's pretty certain we will like a fair amount of stuff or take a chance on something new. When your time is more squeezed and as a result more precious, it becomes a relatively easy choice to make.

Furthermore, remember that it's only music. When I was much younger, it seemed like the be-all and end-all of everything, but the fact remains that there aere other things which are more important as you eill discover in time.

I still love music (I still play in a covers band when I can), but it has to be slotted into a list of priorities which life presents.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the onus is on these supposedly "good" examples of a particular genre to make themselves more obvious. If they are content to remain in relative ocscurity and aren't interested in my opinion, then why should I take the time and trouble to seek them out?