After Snakes and Arrows

The Owl

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 22 2007, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2007, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 22 2007, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 22 2007, 05:01 PM)
I'd say perhaps 10 more years, with maybe 2 studio albums and a live album.

Dream on.....

I can't see them continuing into their mid sixties personally

Agreed. I think people are being hopelessly optimistic here. It's possible, but I doubt it. Then again, they seem like the kind of band that wouldn't shut the door on anything. After all, they take their sweet time between album releases these years, so while they MIGHT make another album or two, I bet after a full tour that they'll wait at least 2 or 3 years if not more. Knowing them, they probably would not announce retirment, but just let things drift and see if the spirit moved them in the future to go at it again. There's also a high probability that this will be the last one...

Then again, if this album is a smash critical and commercial success (hey, it could happen), I guess they could be inspired to do another album sooner.

Goober, do you realize you've just agreed AND disagreed with everyone at the same time?

I don't agree with what you just said.

goodpost.gif I wholeheartedly agree. yes.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 22 2007, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2007, 09:12 PM)
The next album will be called Elephants and Rubber Door Handles and will have 23 instrumentals on it, a singing wolrd war II pilot on meths, a copper and balsa wood glockenspiel,  a muted plastic trumpet, one single keyboard chord, 146 guitar solos and a girl banging her head on a squeaking headboard. All the lyrics will be in swahili and performed in the Tuvan throat singing style. Geddy's outfit will consist of a silcon feather boa and a Sherlock Holmes pipe, Neil's drumkit of the day, the eastern seaboard kit will be made up entirely of his kitchen utensils. Alex will play through an amp made of his hardened old socks...

I think you and Rushgoober are soulmates.

Yep. Posting styles are almost identical.

Weird.

I couldn't really say, I don't necessarily think the band is at the point yet where they tell themselves, "We've done what we wanted and we're tired of all this..." Even Peart was a rejuvenated in two separate recording sessions last year.

Anybody know about the current Atlantic recording contract? Rush seems have a pretty good open-ended deal of "do what you want", but to what extent? Geddy has said around T4E, I think, that he thought the band had 2 or 3 albums left in them. So, deffinately one more after this one.

Nineteen original studio albums is nothing to sneeze at.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. cool.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 22 2007, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 22 2007, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2007, 09:12 PM)
The next album will be called Elephants and Rubber Door Handles and will have 23 instrumentals on it, a singing wolrd war II pilot on meths, a copper and balsa wood glockenspiel,  a muted plastic trumpet, one single keyboard chord, 146 guitar solos and a girl banging her head on a squeaking headboard. All the lyrics will be in swahili and performed in the Tuvan throat singing style. Geddy's outfit will consist of a silcon feather boa and a Sherlock Holmes pipe, Neil's drumkit of the day, the eastern seaboard kit will be made up entirely of his kitchen utensils. Alex will play through an amp made of his hardened old socks...

I think you and Rushgoober are soulmates.

Yep. Posting styles are almost identical.

Weird.

We are actually QUITE different in many, many ways, though I like Treeduck...

I have been preparing for the end since 1984, so everything after that and especially after the events in Peart's life is just plain awesome.

CELEBRATE THE MOMENT!

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Feb 24 2007, 09:57 AM)
I have been preparing for the end since 1984, so everything after that and especially after the events in Peart's life is just plain awesome.
CELEBRATE THE MOMENT!

Well said!

But back on topic, I would predict 3 more studio albums & maybe another live CD/DVD/whatever.

I would be really surprised if we saw another tour after this one. After reading Road Show you realize how unhappy Neil is with touring. We may get another album after this one but I wouldn't expect a tour like the one that is expected this year. I believe a lot will depend on what the guys expect to have banked for retirement. We know Neil writes and Alex produces and Geddy has expressed interest on more than one occasion to owning a minor league baseball team. I think they have a lot of other interests outside of playing/recording/touring. I will be happy to be able to see them this tour as nobody truly knows when it will all end.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Feb 22 2007, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 22 2007, 11:10 AM)
On that note, I can see Neil entering a solo jazz career, sorta like Bill Bruford.

Yeah, I don't see them retiring. Maybe Big Al can finally open that chain of tiki bars!! Maybe a Geddy Lee Laundromat?

Im too young for Rush to die!!!! AHHH the agony of having only discovered them 3 years ago fists crying.gif sad.gif unsure.gif I must admit, they are getting old though, but at least it seems like they love what they do. If we're super lucky, maybe we should look towards R50. (positive thinking, positive thinking) That would rule but it seems unlikely. I hope I can see at least one live performance before they are done for.

QUOTE (udanax @ Feb 27 2007, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Feb 22 2007, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 22 2007, 11:10 AM)
On that note, I can see Neil entering a solo jazz career, sorta like Bill Bruford.

Yeah, I don't see them retiring. Maybe Big Al can finally open that chain of tiki bars!! Maybe a Geddy Lee Laundromat?

Im too young for Rush to die!!!! AHHH the agony of having only discovered them 3 years ago fists crying.gif sad.gif unsure.gif I must admit, they are getting old though, but at least it seems like they love what they do. If we're super lucky, maybe we should look towards R50. (positive thinking, positive thinking) That would rule but it seems unlikely. I hope I can see at least one live performance before they are done for.

"Well, you found me [Rush]"

~Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting

QUOTE (mortkort @ Feb 22 2007, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 22 2007, 06:24 PM)
I say maybe one more tour.

They will not release albums if they are not going to do a tour for it...as Neil said, "If we don't promote it, who will?"

Going on for 20 more years? Put down the hash pipe.

look at BB King, he is 81, but he is still rocking! 1022.gif

BB King is a blues musician, though. It's a lot easier to do that and grow old and still be respectable than prog rock is.

I would guess maybe one or two more studio albums and a live album; they'll probably tour once more after this one, but I think that will be the end of it, sad to say. They are getting older now.

Archived