After Snakes and Arrows

The Owl

I cant wait for Snakes and Arrows. But the boys are getting up there in age. I'm wondering how many more Albums they have left in them. I could see them going at least to the 40th aniversary (2014) and at least 2 more studio albums after Snakes and Arrows. What do you all think, how many more years do you think they have in them???

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 22 2007, 11:01 AM)
I'd say perhaps 10 more years, with maybe 2 studio albums and a live album.

That seems about right. If S&A is as big as the rumors have it, they'll have to do at least one follow up (I'd think). But 10 years, a couple more albums then calling it quits seems about right. I could see them after that doing individual projects. Who knows. confused13.gif

I want them to go as long as they are comfortable going. They have already given us the gift of their music. I could be selfish and say I would like them to go on forever, but I am thinking about them and what they are comfortable with...

I am just happy they have decided to bless us with another album. We are the lucky ones!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 22 2007, 05:01 PM)

Dream on.....

I can't see them continuing into their mid sixties personally

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Feb 22 2007, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 22 2007, 11:10 AM)
On that note, I can see Neil entering a solo jazz career, sorta like Bill Bruford.

Yeah, I don't see them retiring. Maybe Big Al can finally open that chain of tiki bars!! Maybe a Geddy Lee Laundromat?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 22 2007, 11:31 AM)

Dream on.....

I can't either. I'd say after this tour, maybe one more, if that. This could be the last one. I don't see Neil playing small clubs like Bruford, though. At least not full tours. I see him more as a writer than a drummer in future years...

Welcome, Owl! 2.gif

yeah, that would be sweet!

welcome to trf owl!

I hope you guys are all wrong! As long as they still have it in them, they should go on for at least 20 more years.

And why shouldnt they? No other band can look back at career like them, releasing only good stuff and now maybe one of their highlights of their career so far.....

Heck, even Rolling Stones, god knows how old they are, managed to creep out of the coffin and scramble together a fairly decent album last year. And they life the stone dudes have led........

If Rush want a bit more silent life they should cut down their tours and make new music instead. I fancy a new album more than a new tour.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 22 2007, 06:03 PM)
I hope you guys are all wrong! As long as they still have it in them, they should go on for at least 20 more years.

And why shouldnt they? No other band can look back at career like them, releasing only good stuff and now maybe one of their highlights of their career so far.....

Heck, even Rolling Stones, god knows how old they are, managed to creep out of the coffin and scramble together a fairly decent album last year. And they life the stone dudes have led........

If Rush want a bit more silent life they should cut down their tours and make new music instead. I fancy a new album more than a new tour.

yes, fellow norwegian! goodpost.gif

I say maybe one more tour.

They will not release albums if they are not going to do a tour for it...as Neil said, "If we don't promote it, who will?"

Going on for 20 more years? Put down the hash pipe.

QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 22 2007, 06:24 PM)
I say maybe one more tour.

They will not release albums if they are not going to do a tour for it...as Neil said, "If we don't promote it, who will?"

Going on for 20 more years? Put down the hash pipe.

look at BB King, he is 81, but he is still rocking! 1022.gif

Here's my prediction:

Since Vapor Trails, in its own way, recaptured the hard rock, heavy metal sound of the Rush - 2112 era and Snakes and Arrows is said to recapture the prog rock sound of the A Farewell to Kings - Moving Pictures era (we already know that at least 10 seconds of Far Cry is like Hemispheres meets Jacob's Ladder), they're gonna make two more albums. The next one after Snakes and Arrows will recapture the new wave, synthesizer laden sound of the Signals - Hold Your Fire era and the one after will recapture the alternative sound of the Presto - Test for Echo era. All three albums will do this in a fresh way, making them fresh, rewarding listens just like Vapor Trails was completely different from Fly by Night and Caress of Steel but every bit as rewarding in a different way.

I don't think this will be deliberate. Rush has, on many an occasion, stated that they start every album with a clean canvas and nothing but the will to make the album. No other preconceptions. But, to my ears, they've gone through four distinct eras and ended each one with a live album chronicling that era, and Vapor Trails recaptures much of the elements of the first era. I consider this a coincidence, and a remarkable one at that, and I predict the coincidence will continue for Snakes and Arrows and two more albums.

But I seem to be alone in my classifications of Rush albums. So, even if the next three albums go as I think they will, I don't think many will see it that way.

Welcome to TRF, Owl.

But sheesh, the new album is not even out yet and already the graves are being dug for them. laugh.gif

Who'da thunk it that they'd even hardly ever get half as THIS far, I simply ask you.

The next album will be called Elephants and Rubber Door Handles and will have 23 instrumentals on it, a singing wolrd war II pilot on meths, a copper and balsa wood glockenspiel, a muted plastic trumpet, one single keyboard chord, 146 guitar solos and a girl banging her head on a squeaking headboard. All the lyrics will be in swahili and performed in the Tuvan throat singing style. Geddy's outfit will consist of a silcon feather boa and a Sherlock Holmes pipe, Neil's drumkit of the day, the eastern seaboard kit will be made up entirely of his kitchen utensils. Alex will play through an amp made of his hardened old socks...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2007, 09:12 PM)
The next album will be called Elephants and Rubber Door Handles and will have 23 instrumentals on it, a singing wolrd war II pilot on meths, a copper and balsa wood glockenspiel, a muted plastic trumpet, one single keyboard chord, 146 guitar solos and a girl banging her head on a squeaking headboard. All the lyrics will be in swahili and performed in the Tuvan throat singing style. Geddy's outfit will consist of a silcon feather boa and a Sherlock Holmes pipe, Neil's drumkit of the day, the eastern seaboard kit will be made up entirely of his kitchen utensils. Alex will play through an amp made of his hardened old socks...

I think you and Rushgoober are soulmates.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2007, 01:12 PM)

Um... treeduck I'm going to need you to put SPOILER on this post, k?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 22 2007, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2007, 09:12 PM)
The next album will be called Elephants and Rubber Door Handles and will have 23 instrumentals on it, a singing wolrd war II pilot on meths, a copper and balsa wood glockenspiel,  a muted plastic trumpet, one single keyboard chord, 146 guitar solos and a girl banging her head on a squeaking headboard. All the lyrics will be in swahili and performed in the Tuvan throat singing style. Geddy's outfit will consist of a silcon feather boa and a Sherlock Holmes pipe, Neil's drumkit of the day, the eastern seaboard kit will be made up entirely of his kitchen utensils. Alex will play through an amp made of his hardened old socks...

I think you and Rushgoober are soulmates.

That idea is as creepy as this picture...

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/1461/salemslotnz2.jpg

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 22 2007, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2007, 01:12 PM)
The next album will be called Elephants and Rubber Door Handles and will have 23 instrumentals on it, a singing wolrd war II pilot on meths, a copper and balsa wood glockenspiel,  a muted plastic trumpet, one single keyboard chord, 146 guitar solos and a girl banging her head on a squeaking headboard. All the lyrics will be in swahili and performed in the Tuvan throat singing style. Geddy's outfit will consist of a silcon feather boa and a Sherlock Holmes pipe, Neil's drumkit of the day, the eastern seaboard kit will be made up entirely of his kitchen utensils. Alex will play through an amp made of his hardened old socks...

Um... treeduck I'm going to need you to put SPOILER on this post, k?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

Spoilsport...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 22 2007, 08:31 AM)

Dream on.....

Agreed. I think people are being hopelessly optimistic here. It's possible, but I doubt it. Then again, they seem like the kind of band that wouldn't shut the door on anything. After all, they take their sweet time between album releases these years, so while they MIGHT make another album or two, I bet after a full tour that they'll wait at least 2 or 3 years if not more. Knowing them, they probably would not announce retirment, but just let things drift and see if the spirit moved them in the future to go at it again. There's also a high probability that this will be the last one...

Then again, if this album is a smash critical and commercial success (hey, it could happen), I guess they could be inspired to do another album sooner.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2007, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 22 2007, 08:31 AM)

Dream on.....

Agreed. I think people are being hopelessly optimistic here. It's possible, but I doubt it. Then again, they seem like the kind of band that wouldn't shut the door on anything. After all, they take their sweet time between album releases these years, so while they MIGHT make another album or two, I bet after a full tour that they'll wait at least 2 or 3 years if not more. Knowing them, they probably would not announce retirment, but just let things drift and see if the spirit moved them in the future to go at it again. There's also a high probability that this will be the last one...

Then again, if this album is a smash critical and commercial success (hey, it could happen), I guess they could be inspired to do another album sooner.

Goober, do you realize you've just agreed AND disagreed with everyone at the same time?

Archived