Music by Lee and Lifeson??

My_Shrimp_Cot

bsg.gif ....Im borrowing your soapbox... smile.gif

Can you actually imagine Alex saying to Neil

"No, no, no I wanted you to play triplets on the ride cymbal there, NOT the high hat...didn't you read the chart??".

Well I guess my only point is that although Neil doesn't create melodic line, does he create music? write music?

What would RUSH sound like with Alex Van Halen as it's drummer??

Edited by My_Shrimp_Cot
  • Like 1

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 29 2004, 11:39 AM)

Like a very talented bass player and guitarist with a so-so drummer?

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 29 2004, 11:39 AM)
bsg.gif ....Im borrowing your soapbox... smile.gif

Can you actually imagine Alex saying to Neil

"No, no, no I wanted you to play triplets on the ride cymbal there, NOT the high hat...didn't you read the chart??".

Well I guess my only point is that although Neil doesn't create melodic line, does he create music? write music?

Yeah I hear you!! So much musical contribution from Neil, and yet he can't claim copyright to the music since Drums are not considered that. If that were the case, someone would get paid every time a basic 4/4 beat was recorded.

Luckily for him, he made his gazillions in copyrights on the lyrics.

goodpost.gif

On instrumentals Neil gets credit for writing the music... I think that it's all just a convention for them to give credit in the usual way because it keeps arguments down. We all know that they all contribute to the music, and Geddy edits Neil's lyrics. It wouldn't be shocking to find that Alex occasionally make an editorial comment on lyrics.

So the credits are just generalizations....

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Nov 29 2004, 12:06 PM)
On instrumentals Neil gets credit for writing the music... I think that it's all just a convention for them to give credit in the usual way because it keeps arguments down. We all know that they all contribute to the music, and Geddy edits Neil's lyrics. It wouldn't be shocking to find that Alex occasionally make an editorial comment on lyrics.

Dammit, I was hoping to start a fight... firedevil.gif

Freaking educated level-headed pacifists always getting in the way waffen093.gif ohmy.gif

It's all an evil plot, I tell you!!! For the man to keep the drummers down!!! in thier place!! what about a good drummer who can't write lyrics! what does he/she get credit for?? nada zilch nothing!!!

You can't cash a generalization at the bank!!

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 29 2004, 01:41 PM)

Freaking educated level-headed pacifists always getting in the way waffen093.gif ohmy.gif

It's all an evil plot, I tell you!!! For the man to keep the drummers down!!! in thier place!! what about a good drummer who can't write lyrics! what does he/she get credit for?? nada zilch nothing!!!

Ahhhh!!! I'm down!!!!!The pain!!!!

angel.gif

Sorry, no fight here. I think Neil is great in all his roles, and I also bet he throws in comments to Alex and Geddy about their parts too....

653.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 29 2004, 12:41 PM)

Zoinks!! Foiled again!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Nov 29 2004, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 29 2004, 01:49 PM)
Ahhh! The peaceable kingdom.

Yah, as the good book says,

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers".......

Now that's not meant to be taken literally. He was of course referring to ALL manufacturers of dairy produce.......

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 29 2004, 02:17 PM)

Now that's not meant to be taken literally. He was of course referring to ALL manufacturers of dairy produce.......

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 29 2004, 01:17 PM)

Where dose that put this MILKMAN?.. confused13.gif

I got into a little argument one day with the drummer in the band I was playing in one time and I end up saying to him "You just sit back there and hit sh*t and we will do all the talented stuff"

I was just joking and just wanted to tick him off a little bit so maybe he would stop arguing, and it worked. ahahahahah. Everytime I talk to the bass player that was in that band, he always brings this up and we laugh about it......I doubt Alex says this to Neil but it would be funny to see the look on his face if he did. tongue.gif

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 30 2004, 07:38 AM)
I got into a little argument one day with the drummer in the band I was playing in one time and I end up saying to him "You just sit back there and hit sh*t and we will do all the talented stuff"

I was just joking and just wanted to tick him off a little bit so maybe he would stop arguing, and it worked. ahahahahah. Everytime I talk to the bass player that was in that band, he always brings this up and we laugh about it......I doubt Alex says this to Neil but it would be funny to see the look on his face if he did. tongue.gif

Hey that's great Indy. I would love to be the drummer in a band you're in. sarcasm.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 30 2004, 07:38 AM)

I was just joking and just wanted to tick him off a little bit so maybe he would stop arguing, and it worked. ahahahahah. Everytime I talk to the bass player that was in that band, he always brings this up and we laugh about it......I doubt Alex says this to Neil but it would be funny to see the look on his face if he did.  tongue.gif

Hey that's great Indy. I would love to be the drummer in a band you're in. sarcasm.gif

laugh.gif

Dood, I'm not always like that but you should meet this guy, he's very arrogant, he thought he ran the show or something. Believe me, it was long overdue, I got high fives from the rest of the band for silencing him for a few minutes. It's all good, were all good friends and although I was a little frustrated and irritated at the time, it turned out to be something we all joke about years later. Sometimes you have to lash out on someone who gets too arrogant, if not they will run all over you. Either that or let them run the show and not say anything to them about anything, that wouldn't last very long unless it was Jason Bonham or Phil Collins or someone to that nature, and then you just do what they say and collect the check. ahahahahaha