Harrison vs Portnoy

treeduck

Who's the better drummer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the better drummer?

• Gavin Harrson
    • Mike Portnoy

I think it's fair to compare these bands, certainly they're of the same generation, play in a similar genre (progressive rock/metal), have similar influences etc...

But in this case let's crystalise this and simply compare the drummers, but ONLY in terms of drumming. Portnoy is something of a leader and a lyricist, while Gavin is a drummer's drummer, but who's the better drummer? That's the question?

1287.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard, which is everything DT have done, and a fair amount of PT now, I reckon Mike could outplay PT's drummer with one arm and one leg tied behind his back. And DT make PT sound like nothing whatsoever.

No contest at all either way, IMO....

QUOTE (Roddy @ Feb 15 2007, 10:30 PM)
From what I've heard, which is everything DT have done, and a fair amount of PT now, I reckon Mike could outplay PT's drummer with one arm and one leg tied behind his back. And DT make PT sound like nothing whatsoever.

I don't think you know Gavin Harrison very well...

Even Bill Bruford rates him...

"Then there's metric modulation, illusion and superimposition, the sort of thing Trilock and Gavin Harrison are demons at. Two metres on top of each other, one at a faster pulse than the other, wheels within wheels, big and slow, light and fast - oh yes folks, we've tackled it all one way or another at Real World in the past few weeks. How about assigning timbres? He gets the wood, you get the metals. He gets the high drums, you get the low...and so it goes on."

http://www.elephant-talk.com/intervws/bruforda.htm

Oh and someone called Neil Peart...

Which drummers do you like to listen to nowadays?

Along with all the drummers I have always enjoyed, and still listen to and appreciate (many mentioned in the DVD and related material), I like what Gavin Harrison is doing with Porcupine Tree, and on his instructional DVDs. His playing and his thinking are interesting, musical, and inspiring

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1123

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 15 2007, 10:34 PM)

I don't think you know Gavin Harrison very well...

Even Bill Bruford rates him...

"Then there's metric modulation, illusion and superimposition, the sort of thing Trilock and Gavin Harrison are demons at. Two metres on top of each other, one at a faster pulse than the other, wheels within wheels, big and slow, light and fast - oh yes folks, we've tackled it all one way or another at Real World in the past few weeks. How about assigning timbres? He gets the wood, you get the metals. He gets the high drums, you get the low...and so it goes on."

http://www.elephant-talk.com/intervws/bruforda.htm

Haven't heard much of that. And I'm a drummer myself.

And Bruford's pretty dull himself. Just another one of these guys who have good grounding and technique, but seem to constantly play within themselves. To me, good technique to itself isn't enough, you have to make the track you're playing come ALIVE with energy. Portnoy does this, to the extreme. Harrison and Bruford, and indeed most of the old 'prog' drummers from the 70s do not, IMO.

I still certainly respect them, tho. They've all got more natural talent and technique in their left arsecheek than I've got in my entire body. I just can't get excited listening to them......

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 17 2007, 02:31 PM)
I always think that Portnoy's snare drum is tuned way too high, it needs some depth to it, to really ring out...

His snare drum sounds like garbage cans to me. They do need to be tuned a little bit.

I think what Gavin is so good at is creating very complex beats, yet making them fit so well into the music. Like, the beats sound complex as hell, but they're perfect for that song. He knows when to play and when not to play, something I think is overlooked nowadays.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 16 2007, 03:37 AM)

Oh and someone called Neil Peart...

Which drummers do you like to listen to nowadays?

Along with all the drummers I have always enjoyed, and still listen to and appreciate (many mentioned in the DVD and related material), I like what Gavin Harrison is doing with Porcupine Tree, and on his instructional DVDs. His playing and his thinking are interesting, musical, and inspiring

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1123

Oh dear, that'll set Mike Portnoy off. Forget the glaciers melting, we only need Mike Portnoy.

I go with Harrison, not by much, but it wasn't too close. He doesn't do too much i.e. his double bass pedal. Doesn't clutter the sound up.

Make sure you read the last sentence...........

In addition to receiving his 20th Reader's Poll award (in the Progressive Rock catagory for the 10th year in a row!!), the latest issue of Modern Drummer announced the induction of Mike Portnoy to the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame!

Mike joins an elite group of drumming legends (Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Neil Peart, Steve Gadd, Louie Bellson, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Joe Morello, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Jeff Porcaro, Larrie Londin, Elvin Jones, Vinnie Colaiuta, Terry Bozzio, Ringo Starr, Roy Haynes, Dave Weckl, Dennis Chambers, Steve Smith and Simon Phillips) and is the youngest drummer since Neil Peart was inducted in 1983 to receive this prestigious honor!

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=512558

QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 18 2007, 10:25 AM)
Make sure you read the last sentence...........

In addition to receiving his 20th Reader's Poll award (in the Progressive Rock catagory for the 10th year in a row!!), the latest issue of Modern Drummer announced the induction of Mike Portnoy to the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame!

Mike joins an elite group of drumming legends (Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Neil Peart, Steve Gadd, Louie Bellson, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Joe Morello, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Jeff Porcaro, Larrie Londin, Elvin Jones, Vinnie Colaiuta, Terry Bozzio, Ringo Starr, Roy Haynes, Dave Weckl, Dennis Chambers, Steve Smith and Simon Phillips) and is the youngest drummer since Neil Peart was inducted in 1983 to receive this prestigious honor!

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=512558

Well that tells you something.....

Someone be sure to bump this thread if (and he was supposed to) play drums on the Steven Wilson/Mikael Akerfeldt project that will one day see the light of day.

As to comparing drummers, idk, it seems kind of pointless. Each have their strong points, and they both play completely different styles.

QUOTE (Low Rider @ Feb 19 2007, 10:02 AM)
I can't even listen to DT. All that double bass just kills it for me. Here Gavin is the master, he is second only to one.

I'm just the opposite. I love double kick (as long as it's not just constant 16th notes) and I find Porcupine Tree's drumming incredibly boring and uninspiring. I think it's cuz I usually prefer high-energy music and PT, at least what I've heard, to be a bit too mellow for my taste.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 18 2007, 07:37 PM)
I think Portnoy is better than the kid in Hanson. Just a little bit. Not much. So i pick the other choice.

Dang, that kid from Hanson must be a lot better than I thought if he's just under Portnoy! laugh.gif

I voted Portnoy partly because I'm more familiar with his drumming and also because I've seen some of his drum solos, and wow... He can play!

Just one more little silly comment to wrap up this pointless post: When I saw the thread title of "Harrison vs Portnoy" I thought you meant George Harrison the guitarist from the Beatles and I was like wtf.gif they're comparing guitarists to drummers now??? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 19 2007, 11:19 AM)
I can't even listen to DT. All that double bass just kills it for me. Here Gavin is the master, he is second only to one.

Gavin uses double bass also.

Oh, I didn't even know. I really need to listen more to Gavin/PT. I'm sure he's gotta be doing something I would like, if I would just listen to more of their material.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 19 2007, 10:52 AM)
I think Portnoy is better than the kid in Hanson.  Just a little bit.  Not much.  So i pick the other choice.

Dang, that kid from Hanson must be a lot better than I thought if he's just under Portnoy! laugh.gif

I voted Portnoy partly because I'm more familiar with his drumming and also because I've seen some of his drum solos, and wow... He can play!

Just one more little silly comment to wrap up this pointless post: When I saw the thread title of "Harrison vs Portnoy" I thought you meant George Harrison the guitarist from the Beatles and I was like wtf.gif they're comparing guitarists to drummers now??? rofl3.gif

I heard that George Harrison was in fact the best drummer in the Beatles but Ringo got the job because George was also the best guitarist, Ringo was the best darts player though...

laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 19 2007, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 19 2007, 10:52 AM)
I think Portnoy is better than the kid in Hanson.  Just a little bit.  Not much.  So i pick the other choice.

I heard that George Harrison was in fact the best drummer in the Beatles but Ringo got the job because George was also the best guitarist, Ringo was the best darts player though...

laugh.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Feb 19 2007, 10:42 AM)

I'm just the opposite. I love double kick (as long as it's not just constant 16th notes) and I find Porcupine Tree's drumming incredibly boring and uninspiring. I think it's cuz I usually prefer high-energy music and PT, at least what I've heard, to be a bit too mellow for my taste.

Agreed. And I'll be a little less polite and say PT and Harrison are DEAD BORING. They put me to sleep.