Godspeed You! Black Emporer

prog.fusion

QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 13 2007, 10:46 AM)
I started to listen to a live show of theirs over at archive.org. Maybe the song I was listening to started off slow but I bailed after a few minutes......

that's where I started listening too.

Try this show. It's the one I ended up downloading and it's pretty awesome.

Alas, for a decent connection, so I could hear what everyone raves about...

I've heard they're good too, but I wouldn't know. confused13.gif

yes, all bands mentioned are well worth checking out. as well as Mogwai, Mum, Explosions in the Sky and especially Sigur Ros.

SR are probably the easiest to get into post-rock with. so i would recommend them first maybe before GY!BE. just to get more associated with the genre.

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Feb 13 2007, 05:41 PM)
yea, the first few minutes usually have little going on. its not......typical music. its not just gonna start and give you what you expect to hear. you kind of have to stay with it. but the payoff, is well worth it.

I guess I should of said a few weeks ago, even before I read this thread I was at archive checking it out. I will take another try.

I should have looked at this forum a long time ago.

Another one of my favorite bands. I have a playlist on my phone that's a mix of Godspeed, Mogwai, Tangerine Dream, Explosions IN the Sky, and other stuff along those lines, and it's good for everything from background music at work, to video games to cool10.gif

Did anybody get to see them on their reunion tour last year? They were really good although I was a bit bummed they didn't play "Moya" at the Philly date.

Has anybody listened to their other band, A Silver Mt. Zion? It's a similar style but heavier overall and it has vocals. The singer is terrible, but in a way similar to Bob Dylan where it fits the music.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 19 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 19 2012, 07:10 PM)
Do they call it post-rock because they can't think of an original name for it?

confused13.gif

Well, they tried "flarglejangderpleg", but it didn't catch on.

I like it!

cool10.gif

GY!BE is pretty much like a lot of post-rock bands. Crescendos really make their songs (Explosions in the Sky, Worlds End Girlfriend, etc. all do this at SOME point). I think "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" is a wonderful EP along with "Yanqui U.X.O.". Their best album? Still "A#F#(infinity)"; because, really, how can you beat Providence?

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Aug 13 2012, 11:34 AM)
I should have looked at this forum a long time ago.

Another one of my favorite bands. I have a playlist on my phone that's a mix of Godspeed, Mogwai, Tangerine Dream, Explosions IN the Sky, and other stuff along those lines, and it's good for everything from background music at work, to video games to cool10.gif

Did anybody get to see them on their reunion tour last year? They were really good although I was a bit bummed they didn't play "Moya" at the Philly date.

Has anybody listened to their other band, A Silver Mt. Zion? It's a similar style but heavier overall and it has vocals. The singer is terrible, but in a way similar to Bob Dylan where it fits the music.

I really like GY!BE but I got one of Thee Silver Mt. Zion albums, Horses in the Sky, and just couldn't get into it.

The singer is the lead guy from Godspeed, Efrim Menuck. I think the style is purposefully off-key and disjointed. I like the music far more than the vocals and lyrics.

GY!BE reunited not long ago for a couple of shows but I don't think they've recorded anything for quite a long time. Yanqui UXO and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven are my favorites.

I was at the mall today and I was in a store known as Newbury Comics...They have Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven on Vinyl for $23.99 as well as Sigur Ros's Valtari for $29.99...which should I get???? laugh.gif

Just downloaded a vinyl rip of "Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!". Was NOT expecting such a sudden and hype-less release. The 10 year wait was worth it.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Oct 3 2012, 03:34 PM)
Just downloaded a vinyl rip of "Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!". Was NOT expecting such a sudden and hype-less release. The 10 year wait was worth it.

Yeah, I just heard about the release a couple of weeks ago and immediately put in my order. I received the CD on Friday and it blew me away. It's true to the GY!BE standard! They take their form of ambient/drone to a different place than most.