King Crimson

Finbar

What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?

• In the Court of the Crimson King
    • In the Wake of Poseidon
    • Lizard
    • Islands
    • Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    • Starless and Bible Black
    • Red
    • Discipline
    • Beat
    • Three of a Perfect Pair
    • THRAK
    • The ConstruKction of Light
    • The Power to Believe

QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 18 2007, 06:29 PM)
Well Finbar, I don't know if you know about this already, but Adrian Belew performed with Frank Zappa in the late 70's for about 3 years or so. His role was pretty much that of a rhythm guitarist and occasional singer but he was a great addition to Zappa's band at that time.

Oh I know. The Baby Snakes DVD has been high on my wish list for quite some time now.

Frank Zappa's amazing! I love the album Hot Rats!

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 18 2007, 07:31 PM)
Well Finbar, I don't know if you know about this already, but Adrian Belew performed with Frank Zappa in the late 70's for about 3 years or so. His role was pretty much that of a rhythm guitarist and occasional singer but he was a great addition to Zappa's band at that time.

Oh I know. The Baby Snakes DVD has been high on my wish list for quite some time now.

It's on my wish list as well. I've already seen some of the performances on YouTube.

And yes, Zappa is amazing, probably one of the most prolific musicians ever. Hot Rats is my favorite Zappa album.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 18 2007, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 18 2007, 07:31 PM)

It's on my wish list as well. I've already seen some of the performances on YouTube.

And yes, Zappa is amazing, probably one of the most prolific musicians ever. Hot Rats is my favorite Zappa album.

I'm reading Adrian Belew's blog and in it, he talks about how, when he was on tour with Zappa, he saw Ringo Starr and.... it's really funny. You better read it yourself, I don't wanna spoil the experience.

http://elephant-blog.blogspot.com/2007/03/anecdote-5052.html

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 18 2007, 08:12 PM)
I'm reading Adrian Belew's blog and in it, he talks about how, when he was on tour with Zappa, he saw Ringo Starr and.... it's really funny. You better read it yourself, I don't wanna spoil the experience.
http://elephant-blog.blogspot.com/2007/03/anecdote-5052.html

"A Second Helping Of Fab.

it was way back in 1978 that I met my first Beatle

Ringo

but he was eating dinner

so I didn't want to interrupt his...

I know I shouldn't,

it would be rude to....

but it really was Ringo Starr and...

I couldn't help my young self.

I went over to his table, introduced myself

as someone playing a show tomorrow night with frank zappa

and would he like to come as my guest?

"oh, no thanks mate, I'm strictly 4/4".

laugh.gif Nice.

In the Court of the Crimson King was revolutionary, but the aimless wankery of the improv section of "Moonchild" keeps it from perfection. (The improvs the '73-'74 lineup was capable of show just how weak the improv in '69 was.)

I was a big fan of the '73-'74 lineup for a long time. I think they did the best work overall, and all 3 of their studio albums are among the band's top 5.

But for me personally, Discipline is the single best KC album. Every song is just great, and I love the interplay between Belew and Fripp. They're so completely different, in so many ways, and it's just amazing how their different personalities and radically different playing styles contrast and complement each other, and yet at the same time, the can launch into intricate lockstep parts that sound like the knot on the cover looks. Amazing.

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Mar 19 2007, 06:49 PM)
In the Court of the Crimson King was revolutionary, but the aimless wankery of the improv section of "Moonchild" keeps it from perfection. (The improvs the '73-'74 lineup was capable of show just how weak the improv in '69 was.)

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but that's the way I feel about The Sky Moves Sideways and the similarly named improv instrumental "Moonloop" (Porcupine Tree). Except maybe it wasn't revolutionary. It should've been, though.

Lester Bangs is an ignorant Ar*ehole comp26.gif

Don't know why, there's just something 'bout islands that captures my ears.

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Apr 10 2007, 02:53 PM)
Back then I voted for Red, but now I like more and more ThraK and Starless an bible black,yeah LOVE their heavy stuff!

I think I voted for Discipline on a whim... Really it's just an impossible question to ask. They're all perfect, and equally so in many different ways. It just depends on where the listener is... but the cool thing I think about King Crimson albums, is they all really say the same thing; just with many different musical vocabularies.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 17 2007, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 17 2007, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 17 2007, 09:09 AM)
In reality, which album is better is completely subjective, and In the Wake of Poseidon's one and only curse was coming after such a massive success. It'd be like if you invented the razor and then I invented the scissors. Both tools are equally useful in many different aspects, but the one that gets invented first is appreciated more. Doesn't necessarily make it any better.

That's all well and nice to say, but look at the results in this poll. Six votes for the 1st album vs. Zero votes for the 2nd. Subjective, sure, but I think if you ask most Crimson fans which is better, you're gonna get a 90+ percent crowd choosing the 1st one. Sure it's subjective, but there is also mass consensus opinion.

For example, on Prog Archives on their 0-5 rating system:

In the Court of the Crimson King - 4.54

In the Wake of Poseidon - 3.76

No studio album of theirs has that low of a rating until 1982's Beat with 3.04.

Incidentally:

In the Court of the Crimson King - 4.54

In the Wake of Poseidon - 3.76

Lizard - 4.13

Islands - 3.89

Larks' Tongues in Aspic - 4.47

Starless and Bible Black - 4.01

Red - 4.42

Discipline - 4.12

Beat - 3.04

Three of a Perfect Pair - 3.30

THRAK - 3.76

The ConstruKction of Light - 3.29

The Power to Believe - 4.08

Every album had at least 60 people who rated it, and some had hundreds.

Like I said, it's curse was coming after such a massive success. If the albums came out in swapped order, today, 37 years after the fact, there'd be six votes for In the Wake of Poseidon and none for In the Court of the Crimson King. (After all, it's only been 37 years, and all those fans who were disappointed by the second album haven't died or anything.) An album's success or lack thereof in its own time has a profound effect on how it will be viewed forever, just as significant, if not more so, than the merits of the actual music on the album itself. In the Court of the Crimson King was a real splash, heralded as a masterpiece by the general listening public, critics and famous musicians alike. In the Wake of Poseidon was slammed as a let-down follow up by fans and critics; and album sales.

Ok, I've given In the Wake of Poseidon a few more good listens since this series of postings above.

My opinion is that overall In The Court of the Crimson King is just a plain better album than In The Wake of Poseidon. I've heard it enough to know I'm not merely saying that because it's the follow-up to a flawless debut. After all, I think their 3rd album is better than any of them.

Mind you, In The Wake is a great album, and better than I used to give it credit for, but in my opinion only the songs In The Wake of Poseidon and The Devil's Triangle stand up to the material on ITCOTCK. Those songs are both brilliant and are as good as the material on their debut.

I think Pictures of a City is ALMOST at that level. Cat Food is great musically, but the lyrics bring it down a notch or two for me. Cadence and Cascade is pretty, but it's not nearly the quality of I Talk to the Wind in terms of mellow ballads. The three Peace songs are nice and they add a cohesiveness and continuity to the album, but that also makes them a little gimmicky and in the end they're only nice and pleasant songs to me - nothing truly special.

I give In the Wake of Poseidon a solid 8.5/10, whereas I'd give Red a 9.5/10, ITCOTCK a 10/10 and Lizard an 11/10 wink.gif

I just got the ProjeKcts Box, very interisting music:

Improvised and instrumental.

And there is also the unoficial crimson album: "Heaven and Earth" by ProjeKct X ( The same line-up but with a differant name) wich is worth listening.

All hail the mighty Crim!

Even though I'm all alone in the poll results (as usual), Lizard is still the easy winner for me here.

This is not an album you completely get on the first or even fifth listen. It's beautiful, poetic and ridiculously complex musically. The level of creativity on display here is insane...