Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (tick @ May 13 2007, 05:40 PM)
i cant remember which tune(ill have to listen for it again) but in one of the tracks you can hear the sound a phone left off the hook, you can hear that annoying beeping sound in the background. does anyone know what im talking about ? its there, trust me. yes.gif

edited to say...
i just realized the title of the thread is great sounds in snakes and arrows, not annoying ones. bolt.gif

ok, there is the sound of a phone off the hook at the end of the way the wind blows, anyone noticed this ?

The guitar squeak before the main chorus of Wind Blows begins, just after Geddy sings the words "elemental war" the first time......you can clearly hear Alex's finger squeaking the acoustic string which falls exactly on the 5th beat of the 6 beat measure. THAT IS SO f***ing COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (tick @ May 14 2007, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 13 2007, 05:40 PM)
i cant remember which tune(ill have to listen for it again) but in one of the tracks you can hear the sound a phone left off the hook, you can hear that annoying beeping sound in the background. does anyone know what im talking about ? its there, trust me. yes.gif

edited to say...
i just realized the title of the thread is great sounds in snakes and arrows, not annoying ones. bolt.gif

ok, there is the sound of a phone off the hook at the end of the way the wind blows, anyone noticed this ?

laugh.gif

no, but i'll be sure to listen for it now that you mention it.

2.gif

QUOTE (Begin the Day @ May 21 2007, 09:03 PM)
Maybe this one is a bit too obvious, but Alien Shore has sounds like sonar pings.

Hey man this is a great one, and thanks!

No, not too obvious - but you've hit on one I've always taken notice of in that song. If I remember correctly, I may have posted about it in here. No matter, this is excellent.

Good deal. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

btw - I actually think it's a wood block with an echo or reverb on it. But I have no idea.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 21 2007, 09:09 PM)
Maybe this one is a bit too obvious, but Alien Shore has sounds like sonar pings.

No, not too obvious - but you've hit on one I've always taken notice of in that song. If I remember correctly, I may have posted about it in here. No matter, this is excellent.

btw - I actually think it's a wood block with an echo or reverb on it. But I have no idea.

Neil's "Alien Shore" Cowbell

cool.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 12 2007, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 12 2007, 11:39 AM)
The final note on MalNar is really really cool.

Well are there any 'hidden' or less than obvious sounds that exist in that final note? That's what this thread is supposed to be for. I can't to listen to S&A and find out what hidden surprises are in there.

Paganoman, I've posted some of these to my website already (and already made mention of the fact here at TRF), but I thought being you asked specifically for cool hidden Rush moments on S&A that I would reiterate those audio clips here. Cheers. - MitA

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...ackup-armor.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...ot-of-geddy.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...la-business.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...lex-instead.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...in-no-drift.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...rica-malnar.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...or-and-alex.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...intest-face.mp3

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...eastern-cry.mp3

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 21 2007, 08:09 PM)

I see it posted now... didn't read the entire thread before I posted but I don't think it would have mattered anyway as there is so much information in here and I arrived late to the party. LOL

Anyway, another Counterpart favorite moment Between Sun and Moon: starts at :16 and goes to :34. I believe it is a synth in the background. If you are not listening carefully, you miss the beginning of it at :16. Even if you catch it, it still blends in around :20 and you think it is over... but it picks up again at :26-:27 until the sound ends at :34. Furthermore the song tricks you into hearing the same sound at 1:26-1:44 eventhough it is not there (with the line there is a fine line between love and illusion-- it sounds like the sound should start at illusion- very cool!) Similar sounds picks up at 2:12-2:40 and 3:22-3:40. From 3:55 to end the sound is there again but it is so faint you can't tell for sure if you are hearing it or if your mind is putting it there.

QUOTE (Begin the Day @ May 21 2007, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 21 2007, 08:09 PM)

I see it posted now... didn't read the entire thread before I posted but I don't think it would have mattered anyway as there is so much information in here and I arrived late to the party. LOL

Anyway, another Counterpart favorite moment Between Sun and Moon: starts at :16 and goes to :34. I believe it is a synth in the background. If you are not listening carefully, you miss the beginning of it at :16. Even if you catch it, it still blends in around :20 and you think it is over... but it picks up again at :26-:27 until the sound ends at :34. Furthermore the song tricks you into hearing the same sound at 1:26-1:44 eventhough it is not there (with the line there is a fine line between love and illusion-- it sounds like the sound should start at illusion- very cool!) Similar sounds picks up at 2:12-2:40 and 3:22-3:40. From 3:55 to end the sound is there again but it is so faint you can't tell for sure if you are hearing it or if your mind is putting it there.

sweet! trink39.gif

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ May 22 2007, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (Begin the Day @ May 22 2007, 12:54 AM)
One final note on Alien Shore from 3:40-4:00 there is some talking (sounds more like mumbling) and I can't quite make out what is being said, but something is. Really picks up at 3:45.

"It slowly Engulfs"

it-slowly-engulfs

Awesome! Thanks! I just picked up on your sight, great work by the way!

An another note for Alien Shore, I was listening to it last night and wanted to add another part...

At the beginning of the song, with Alex's opening riff, I love how he 'slides' into the next riff... I don't know the proper terminology, but thats the best way I can describe it. Its like someone sliding up and down the spine... (good chills that is) cool.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Jul 30 2007, 01:20 PM)
I love the small background synth part in The Pass and in Chemistry, the synth part when Geddy starts singing "Eye to I".

Nice!!

yes.gif yes.gif

STEEL RAT POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD. I thought it to be a perfect addition, here. Excellent find, Rat.

I had Tai Shan cranked up really loud on my computer speakers and I heard something strange.

At the end of the song, just when it starts fading out, precisely 3:35, I thought I heard voices. They cut out at 3:42. The also come back at 3:58. They are EXTREMELY faint and I've never heard them until I turned it up loud and held the speaker right next to my ear.

At first I thought they were just noises made by Alex's funky guitar, but I keep hearing them. They sound somewhat distorted, as if the voices were being played backwards.

It's weird that it cuts out at 3:42, because Alex's guitar progression doesn't change. I thought for sure it was simply an audio feedback issue or something like that until I heard distinctly when they start and stop. It's strange and seems quite intentional.

Someone tell me I'm not a crazy obsessive.

---------------------------------------------------------

Answer:

I found the answer!!! The mystery is solved!!!

From the words of the professor himself:

"It is indeed Aimee Mann in there, only she's not exactly "singing" anything-we took her voice from one of the other songs and played it backwards, just as a nice texture which gave an eerie, pseudo-Chinese sound.

And no, this is not backward-masking, or whatever those lunatic call it -- there is nothing about the devil in there!"

http://2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/peartbscrtb.htm

I knew it! 1287.gif

Case Closed. cool.gif

This isn't a hidden "sound" but.. I freakin love the first note Alex hits when he starts his lead on Twilight Zone. I listen to the entire song just to hear that note. Something about that song just takes me away from reality smile.gif

I have a couple:

*Red Lenses- if you turn up the volume as the song is fading out, you can hear Geddy scat with his bass. One of the most awsome things ever, me being a big jazz fan and all...

*Show Don't Tell- I know this is cheating, but all of the instruments all of the time. Especially the tinny guitar and the way the bass sounds. Perfection! And the beginning is awesome, too...

*Digital Man/Analog Kid- The bass parts and the way the bass sounds makes me fall in love with Rush even more everytime I hear it! When I listen to signals, I look forward for those songs. Infact, I love that whole album! Signals is fast becoming my favorite album...

I heart.gif 2.gif