Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Song:  The Main Monkey Business
Desc:  That cool drum riff Neil plays (sry my descriptions of music suck).. BUT - do you hear Geddy's base?  Check it out.  It's awesome!
Time:  1:20

biggrin.gif Yea its Geddy doing a little slide i believe or maybe hes just doing 2 low notes and bending.

Edited by GeddyLeeFender

I think its cool how Ged almost sounds like he is loosing his voice in a couple songs. I think Good News First is the most obvious.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 7 2007, 09:19 PM)
I think its cool how Ged almost sounds like he is loosing his voice in a couple songs. I think Good News First is the most obvious.

Gompers your sig pics of the boys are awesome!! To me it's obvious, but I wonder how many people know exactly what Geddy is singing at that moment, and what drum roll Neil is playing. Alex is also rocking in time.

trink39.gif

Edited by paganoman

Song: Spindrift

Description: As the song is slowly fading up, I hear something I can't identify. It sounds like someone is talking, but I can't tell for sure. I think this is a job for MITA! laugh.gif

Time: 0:07

Anyone else hear that? confused13.gif

and the meek shall inherit the earth?

edited: on the sig pics

Edited by third hand grace

QUOTE (third hand grace @ May 8 2007, 10:24 PM)
and the meek shall inherit the earth?

Shhhhhh aw jeez don't give it away. laugh.gif

Song: Armor And Sword

Specific description of sound: Guitar harmonics

Time: It's most obvious in the intro at 00:28, but it's in the chorus as well. It got me hooked on A&S from the first listen, and bits like this kept me listening:

Song: Armor And Sword

Specific description of sound: Geddy singing "A refuge for the coming night" beautifully

Time: 4:44

I also love the lines beginning with 'Confused alarms of struggle and flight"...the music works with that part so well. Definitely among my favourite vocal 'moments' on the album.

QUOTE (Screvato @ May 3 2007, 01:28 PM)
I like the sliding bass line in Armor & Sword at 3:59.  It's like we're being taken into a lower, darker level of the song.  A nice build-up to the solo.

dood! i came here to post that, but you beat me to it. trink39.gif

that is fuggin sweet!

GeddyFinal.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 8 2007, 07:24 PM)
Song:  Spindrift
Description:  As the song is slowly fading up, I hear something I can't identify.  It sounds like someone is talking, but I can't tell for sure.  I think this is a job for MITA!  laugh.gif
Time:  0:07

Anyone else hear that? confused13.gif

ohmy.gif i think it's backward masking saying "you will love this album" tongue.gif

yes.gif no really, there is something there. unsure.gif

trink38.gif MITA?

OK I've got another one for Spindrift:

Description: As Geddy sings the opening line "... on the western shore", listen CAREFULLY to the word 'shore'. It sounds like there's another voice (Geddy of course) softly growling the 'r' sound of the word 'shore'.

Time: 0:45.

It's there. Listen hard.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 9 2007, 12:30 PM)

Description: As Geddy sings the opening line "... on the western shore", listen CAREFULLY to the word 'shore'. It sounds like there's another voice (Geddy of course) softly growling the 'r' sound of the word 'shore'.
Time: 0:45.

It's there. Listen hard.

I can't listen to it right now, but I'll take your word for it in the meantime, Pags.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 9 2007, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 9 2007, 12:30 PM)

Description:  As Geddy sings the opening line "... on the western shore", listen CAREFULLY to the word 'shore'.  It sounds like there's another voice (Geddy of course) softly growling the 'r' sound of the word 'shore'.
Time:  0:45.

It's there.  Listen hard.

I can't listen to it right now, but I'll take your word for it in the meantime, Pags.

Honestly, CT. Was there even a reason to post then? wacko.gif

When you've listened - come back and let me (us) know if you've heard it, and what you think it is. trink39.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 9 2007, 12:41 PM)
sad.gif The post was meant to be a pokey.gif

I know. It was thrilling. sarcasm.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 9 2007, 09:30 AM)

Description:  As Geddy sings the opening line "... on the western shore", listen CAREFULLY to the word 'shore'.  It sounds like there's another voice (Geddy of course) softly growling the 'r' sound of the word 'shore'.
Time:  0:45.

It's there.  Listen hard.

laugh.gif somebody burped.... draft beer, i think...

yes.gif you can almost taste the foam.

that's snasty! cover yer mouth! bd.gif

edited to add:

Pags! rofl3.gif your avatar! laugh.gif i just now noticed that it was not ac/dc icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Edited by Rolinda Bonz

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ May 9 2007, 11:33 PM)
Pags! rofl3.gif your avatar! laugh.gif i just now noticed that it was not ac/dc icon_really_happy_guy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

It's been there for weeks.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 8 2007, 09:18 PM)

Gompers your sig pics of the boys are awesome!! To me it's obvious, but I wonder how many people know exactly what Geddy is singing at that moment, and what drum roll Neil is playing. Alex is also rocking in time.

trink39.gif

I am almost positive that Neil is in the midst of one of his YYZ mini-solos!! That would be my guess for sure! 1022.gif

I didn't go through the thread to check if anyone mentioned it already. On Armor and Sword at 4:14 and a couple of other places Neil hits something that sounds just like a sound on ( I believe YYZ) Moving Pictures. Plywood maybe? I remember that on the credits for MP.

QUOTE (MaxSmart @ May 10 2007, 03:12 PM)
I didn't go through the thread to check if anyone mentioned it already. On Armor and Sword at 4:14 and a couple of other places Neil hits something that sounds just like a sound on ( I believe YYZ) Moving Pictures. Plywood maybe? I remember that on the credits for MP.

I'm not sure what the sound is... but I like it. It's just that kind of little detail that hits at the heart of what this thread is about.

Good find!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 8 2007, 09:18 PM)

trink39.gif

Damn...sorry I didn't see the response sooner. Does this forum have a auto respond forward? I sure could use it. I get lost too easy here. eh.gif

Anyway....Yeah they are cool. Someone on another forum was bored one day and made them and offered them up.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (MaxSmart @ May 10 2007, 12:12 PM)

check out geddy @ 4:53 with his "broom" "brooom!" slides & then then the subsequent bass lines till 5:05. then neil with his ride @ 5:57, and his subsequesnt **** etc. great tune. alex' use of harmonics is fresh as usuall.

Three come to mind:

3:00 into Bravest Face, the tone Alex has on his solo is very Mark Knopfleresque

The verses of Good News First, some cool Edge-like effects from Alex.

And my favorite: Geddy's brief falsetto in TWTWB, "we can only bow to the here and NOWWWWW"

Love it.

i cant remember which tune(ill have to listen for it again) but in one of the tracks you can hear the sound a phone left off the hook, you can hear that annoying beeping sound in the background. does anyone know what im talking about ? its there, trust me. yes.gif

edited to say...

i just realized the title of the thread is great sounds in snakes and arrows, not annoying ones. bolt.gif

Edited by tick