Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 14 2007, 09:31 AM)
Different Stages - Disc 1 - Track 3 - Driven

Listen to the crowd when Geddy does the little Bass solo. Listen exactly at 2:12, and 2:16.

It's Necro checking out Geddy's solo, but discovering a spider crawling up his sleeve. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 24 2006, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 23 2006, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 21 2006, 09:00 AM)
Ok, I've got a few I'd like to share.  One of them being a challenge, so make sure you keep reading.  Let's get started:

First - the Hold Your Fire version of Mission.  Check it out at the 0.20 mark exactly when Geddy is singing "Is a dream".  Do you hear it?  What's that rumble in the background?

Second - I've been JAMMING to the live stuff from DS, RIR, and R30.  You must listen to Subdivisions from R30, and check out the way Geddy sings the word "Bars" from the line "In the basement bars" during the 2nd chorus.  Exactly at 3:48.  The way his voice quivers and drops is just f'ing awesome.  I love it.  653.gif  cool.gif

Third - Listen to the Different Stages version of Animate.  Start it from the beginning and listen all the way through.  You must do this because the song is so friggin kick ass awesome and pumps so much adrenaline though my system that I'm going out of my mind when the song hits those final notes.  Now... with all that excitement and energy surging through me - I have to hear this idiot standing on my left (you can hear him throughout most of the DS recording).  At 6:23/6:24... omg is that lamest 'wooo' you ever heard in your life?  Somebody kick that guy in the ass and tell him to wake the f up.  I'd do it, but he's too far over.

Finally - ok here is the challenge... Check out the Different Stages version of Stick It Out.  I think it's the same guy on my left from Animate.  Apparently he finally woke up for the 2nd half of the show, or maybe he just likes this song better than Animate with the exuberant "Yeah" he gives at 4:26.  We'll never know.  Anyway, listen to this other guy at 4:37.  It's really hard to make out, but can anyone figure out what that guy yells out?  This is not a contest for I have no idea, myself.  We may never get to a definitive answer, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.  Don't let this go by.  If you've read this, you're a part of it now and must respond.  I do apologize for impacting your life like this and putting you to work, but what must be done... must be done.  What say you?

1 - can't hear it confused13.gif

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

4 - I have no idea what he's shouting, but YOU are making me LMAO with your observations! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

HEY - keep trying on the Mission thing. It's there. Listen behind the vocal, and there's this rolling rumble that lasts a second at most. But it's there.

Hey ROLINDA!!!!! laugh.gif

Remember the First entry here with Mission? I personally was never sure if that 'sound' behind Geddy's vocal was there on purpose, or just some sound imperfection exposed by the quality of CD technology. Some crap from the tapes.

BUT

Today I was driving into work and Mission (Live) from ASOH came on. And sure enough, at 0:20 seconds as well there was a definite sound in the same place placed in the background. I flipped out when I heard it LIVE!! I had never noticed it before.

I remember you said you couldn't hear it. TRY AGAIN.

Anybody else hear this sound??? confused13.gif

It's stuff like this that gets me so rocked. I love finding the hidden/less obvious stuff.

653.gif 653.gif

WOW...there are TONS of sounds that I absolutely love in POWER WINDOWS!!

MARATHON - the bridge/solo is absolutely incredible. Still gives me goosebumps to this day...I love the synths during this section, just unbelivable build-up to the solo in my opinion

TERRITORIES - again, the bridge section is fanastic. The part that leads into the "We shoot without shame...". That part sounds so dark, and Ged's bass line is brilliant. It really captures the dark emotion that I think Neil was getting at with his lyrics

MIDDLETOWN DREAMS - Al's solo is short, but incredible; the 'slower' part that follows the solo is an awesome change of pace! This is a Rush specialty IMO.

EMOTION DETECTOR - the whole intro to this song is awesome! It always gives me shivers...and it absolutely sets the tone for the whole song. Awesome playing by all 3 of the boys.

MYSTIC RHYTHMS - that little section following the second chorus (just before Ged's "OH, OH"). I can't depict whether those are synths or guitar notes...but that whole feeling along with Neil's fills are awesome!

ANIMATE - the bridge section ("My Counterpart...") has some of Neil's greatest work. This part blows me away everytime I hear it!

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE - Neil's drum fill at 3:16...AWESOME!!

LOCK AND KEY - opening synths...mixed with Neil's drums kicking in. Nice and powerful!

AFTERIMAGE - synths during the bridge, and leading into one of Al's best solos! This part sounds so emotional...and is among their best work in regards to portraying the true emotion of the song.

RED LENSES - the bridge section after the second chorus...that 'dance' beat section...Neil has some incredible drumming going on here; awesome work!

SUBDIVISIONS - the whole intro kicks serious arse!! Enough said.

...that's it for now!! Too many! 1022.gif

The strings at the end of "Marathon". Makes me wanna cry

I don't know why, but the pick sliding across the strings thing by Alex at 1:31 or so in "The Trees" just makes that part killer, and increases the intensity by so much. I've always noticed that, and I don't know why, but I love it ^-^

Sorry, I'm a wind instrument and keyboard player only, so I don't know what the technical term is wink.gif (Well, I'm attempting to learn guitar wink.gif

I always found the end of the guitar solo for War Paint interesting. After listening to the CD with the headphones pulled out half way, you can really find some interesting texturing in not only that album, but many, many others.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 9 2007, 12:53 PM)
Ok, I've got a few I'd like to share.  One of them being a challenge, so make sure you keep reading.  Let's get started:

First - the Hold Your Fire version of Mission.  Check it out at the 0.20 mark exactly when Geddy is singing "Is a dream".  Do you hear it?  What's that rumble in the background?

Second - I've been JAMMING to the live stuff from DS, RIR, and R30.  You must listen to Subdivisions from R30, and check out the way Geddy sings the word "Bars" from the line "In the basement bars" during the 2nd chorus.  Exactly at 3:48.  The way his voice quivers and drops is just f'ing awesome.  I love it.  653.gif  cool.gif

Third - Listen to the Different Stages version of Animate.  Start it from the beginning and listen all the way through.  You must do this because the song is so friggin kick ass awesome and pumps so much adrenaline though my system that I'm going out of my mind when the song hits those final notes.  Now... with all that excitement and energy surging through me - I have to hear this idiot standing on my left (you can hear him throughout most of the DS recording).  At 6:23/6:24... omg is that lamest 'wooo' you ever heard in your life?  Somebody kick that guy in the ass and tell him to wake the f up.  I'd do it, but he's too far over.

Finally - ok here is the challenge... Check out the Different Stages version of Stick It Out.  I think it's the same guy on my left from Animate.  Apparently he finally woke up for the 2nd half of the show, or maybe he just likes this song better than Animate with the exuberant "Yeah" he gives at 4:26.  We'll never know.  Anyway, listen to this other guy at 4:37.  It's really hard to make out, but can anyone figure out what that guy yells out?  This is not a contest for I have no idea, myself.  We may never get to a definitive answer, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.  Don't let this go by.  If you've read this, you're a part of it now and must respond.  I do apologize for impacting your life like this and putting you to work, but what must be done... must be done.  What say you?

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

4 - I have no idea what he's shouting, but YOU are making me LMAO with your observations! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

HEY - keep trying on the Mission thing. It's there. Listen behind the vocal, and there's this rolling rumble that lasts a second at most. But it's there.

Remember the First entry here with Mission? I personally was never sure if that 'sound' behind Geddy's vocal was there on purpose, or just some sound imperfection exposed by the quality of CD technology. Some crap from the tapes.

BUT

Today I was driving into work and Mission (Live) from ASOH came on. And sure enough, at 0:20 seconds as well there was a definite sound in the same place placed in the background. I flipped out when I heard it LIVE!! I had never noticed it before.

It's stuff like this that gets me so rocked. I love finding the hidden/less obvious stuff.

653.gif 653.gif

ohmy.gif i remember this. yes.gif i couldn't hear it before, but i hear it now! http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/headphones.gif

it sounds like acoustic guitar...kind of a muted? strum...i'll bet it's Alex biggrin.gif

let's get MitA...he'll hear it. he hears everything! 653.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Apr 10 2007, 12:19 AM)

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

BUT

653.gif 653.gif

ohmy.gif i remember this. yes.gif i couldn't hear it before, but i hear it now! http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/headphones.gif

it sounds like acoustic guitar...kind of a muted? strum...i'll bet it's Alex biggrin.gif

If I could ask MITA to do anything, it would be to expose the "Skeleton" voice from Roll The Bones that's at the end of the song. He actually is saying " Because We're Here" and "Because It Happens" during the chorus as it's fading out.

But it's so faint it can barely be heard. I've tried to have friends of mine here it, and they couldn't. BUT IT'S THERE.

MITA. HELP!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 10 2007, 07:32 AM)

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

BUT

653.gif 653.gif

If I could ask MITA to do anything, it would be to expose the "Skeleton" voice from Roll The Bones that's at the end of the song. He actually is saying " Because We're Here" and "Because It Happens" during the chorus as it's fading out.

But it's so faint it can barely be heard. I've tried to have friends of mine here it, and they couldn't. BUT IT'S THERE.

MITA. HELP!!

Paganoman, happy to help. Keep in mind that this clip does not lend itself well to vocal extraction, but here is what I was able to capture for you (and yes, you are NOT going crazy . . . it IS there).

I reduced Geddy's vocal to raise the resultant lower-sounding 'skeleton' voice. Enjoy! - MitA

Because it Happens - "Skeleton" fadeout

trink39.gif

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Apr 10 2007, 10:22 PM)

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

BUT

653.gif 653.gif

MITA. HELP!!

Paganoman, happy to help. Keep in mind that this clip does not lend itself well to vocal extraction, but here is what I was able to capture for you (and yes, you are NOT going crazy . . . it IS there).

I reduced Geddy's vocal to raise the resultant lower-sounding 'skeleton' voice. Enjoy! - MitA

trink39.gif

OMG you are my hero!!

Thanks for the PM because I did not catch this post.

The "Because We're Here" sounds much more evident now thanks to whatever you did. "Because It Happens" is still a bit buried in the music, but who cares... THANKS!!!

Did you ever know it was there before or is this a new discovery for you?

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 11 2007, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Apr 10 2007, 10:22 PM)

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

BUT

653.gif 653.gif

MITA. HELP!!

trink39.gif

OMG you are my hero!!

Thanks for the PM because I did not catch this post.

The "Because We're Here" sounds much more evident now thanks to whatever you did. "Because It Happens" is still a bit buried in the music, but who cares... THANKS!!!

Did you ever know it was there before or is this a new discovery for you?

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

WOW!!!

trink39.gif

This is amazing!!!

I don't catch all this when I am listening. no.gif

I am still working on the PAGS disc. wink.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Apr 11 2007, 11:50 PM)
WOW!!!

I am still working on the PAGS disc. wink.gif

Awesome. I'll start a thread about the 118 minute medley soon. Once I get it back from Launch and it's separated into 25 tracks. trink39.gif biggrin.gif

The final note on MalNar is really really cool.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 12 2007, 11:39 AM)
The final note on MalNar is really really cool.

Well are there any 'hidden' or less than obvious sounds that exist in that final note? That's what this thread is supposed to be for. I can't to listen to S&A and find out what hidden surprises are in there.

Like the other Great Sounds... thread in the Rush forum, let's list all of those tiny and otherwise 'hidden' sounds or moments that would probably escape the casual listener.

Please... don't give me "The entire solo section of TWWB".

Let's do it this way (like the glitch thread for We Hold On, and the guitar sound for Spindrift):

Song:

Specific description of sound:

Time:

I'll go first.

Song: The Main Monkey Business

Desc.: this wooden 'ridged' percussion sound. Would anyone know the name of the wooden instrument this seems to be?

Time: 1:40 and again at 4:39

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here's another one.

Desc: That cool drum riff Neil plays (sry my descriptions of music suck).. BUT - do you hear Geddy's base? Check it out. It's awesome!

Time: 1:20

I haven't heard enough of the CD to notice any particulars yet. But soon, perhaps....

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 3 2007, 01:40 PM)
I haven't heard enough of the CD to notice any particulars yet. But soon, perhaps....

And an EXCELLENT entry there, CT. Thanks!! laugh.gif

How about that weird guitar effect in the second half of the verses of Good News First? You can hear it on the left side of the stereo mix. It almost sounds like the guitar is run through a vocoder and being triggered off the lead vocal line, with some digital delay thrown on top. Whatever it is, it sounds pretty cool. smile.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2007, 12:33 PM)
Like the other Great Sounds... thread in the Rush forum, let's list all of those tiny and otherwise 'hidden' sounds or moments that would probably escape the casual listener.

Please... don't give me "The entire solo section of TWWB".

Let's do it this way (like the glitch thread for We Hold On, and the guitar sound for Spindrift):

Song:
Specific description of sound:
Time:

I'll go first.

Desc.: this wooden 'ridged' percussion sound. Would anyone know the name of the wooden instrument this seems to be?
Time: 1:40 and again at 4:39

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I believe that is either a ratchet ( percussion device used in classical music) or a guiro...I am leaning twoard the ratchet right now.