Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

The Body Electric:

The opening w/ the electronic drums and Geddy's slap-bass s great through the 0:14 mark.

The "1-0-0-1-0-0-1" section is fantastic. I love the synth in the right channel during this part.

The guitar solo from 2:58 through 3:20 is amazing, along with Geddy's "fat" bassline.

Red Lenses:

The synth sound around 1:29, and at 1:45.

The "It's true!" yell.

2:06 through 2:37 is really cool, along with 2:37 through 2:52.

3:01 through 3:07 also is a great section.

3:16 through 3:32, Neil's beat & Geddy's slap-bass sound awesome.

This song has so much going on with Neil's drums. Electronic & non-electronic. Geddy sounds funny around 4:30, where he raps a little bit.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 2 2006, 02:49 PM)
Fledge, I think it was you who said that Kid Gloves seems like a forced upbeat song. I agree. I like the song, but it's probably my least favorite on GUP. Either that or Red Lenses.

Yes, KG and RL are rather weak in comparison with the rest of the album.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 2 2006, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 2 2006, 02:49 PM)
Fledge, I think it was you who said that Kid Gloves seems like a forced upbeat song. I agree. I like the song, but it's probably my least favorite on GUP. Either that or Red Lenses.

Yes, KG and RL are rather weak in comparison with the rest of the album.

I prefer RL over KG. cool.gif

QUOTE (ralentor @ Apr 27 2006, 03:30 PM)
I think Neil may have used a guiro to make that scraping sound in Witch Hunt, as seen here.  This is just an educated guess, of course.  Maybe someone with more knowledge will enlighten us.

And thanks for your compliments.  It's nice to have found someone else who appreciates the little details in Rush songs, especially since my wife can't stand their music at all.

maybe its this thingy...

http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/n5.JPG

anybody know for sure?

I guess I better jump in on this too: Alex's guitar solo on Limelight has a cool little "twang" in it about 8-10 seconds in. Some others that I think sound cool are the guitar solo on "Between the Wheels"....almost sounds like there's a missed note in there but it fits beautifully. As someone else mentioned in "Secret Touch", there's a cool sounding "ping" in and around the bridge. Neil's drums in "Dog Years" sound great too.

GO LEOS!!!.....(BC Lions for those who don't follow the CFL).

-D-RocK- out!

Ok, I was wondering if/when I'd pick on something new. And it just happened.

Everyone, load up Middletown Dreams on your CD/MP3/PC Media players.

I'll wait.

Got it?

There yet?

GOOD.

Now bring the song to about the 1:45 second mark and play it from there. Listen closely as Geddy sings "Like a Brilliant Shooting Star". As he sings the word Star, do you hear that sound effect behind him? It's exactly at 1:57.

Listen again.

Did you hear it this time? It's there. IT'S THERE. It kinda sounds like that clicky noise the aliens would use in the movie Signs. Maybe that would help your ear pick up on it.

I was listening to random Rush tunes while working, and this sound effect yanked me right out of what I was concentrating on. I can't believe I never heard it before.

SO COOL!! I LOVE THE SOUNDS BEHIND THE MUSIC! Man, does this get me pumped!

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

Good thread.

- The beginning of the guitar solo in The Twilight Zone, how it begins with a faint squeal.

- The part in Witch Hunt when Geddy Lee sings the line "They say there is strangeness too dangerous..." and there's this weird keyboard chord that jars because it's meant to. I've always thought that was a moment of brilliance.

- The soft crash cymbal hits and synth slides at the beginning of Entres Nous. It sounds, I don't know how else to put it, inviting. Like the music itself is friendly.

- The weird sounds, I don't know if it's guitar, bass or whatever, during the guitar solo in the studio version of By-Tor and the Snow Dog. It sounds zonky! biggrin.gif

- The chimes in Different Strings always at just the right moments. Genius.

- In the studio version of Marathon, there's this great synth counter-melody in the second verse that just sounds amazing if you don't think it sounds silly.

- The triplets on the hi-hat in Force Ten during the chorus giving the song an interesting rhythmic feel.

- The rapping in Roll the Bones. It completes the song.

- The paused melody in Hemispheres, how every time but the first time you hear it, it's complete silence in the space, but the first time you hear it, there's a single triangle hit, and it just sounds heartwarming. smile.gif

- There's so much more, I can't think of it all in one sitting. Perhaps I'll make a second reply, perhaps not.

In Natural Science, from the 3:18-3:23 mark, Neil smacks his hi-hat (I think it's his hi-hat) in perfect time with Al & Geds grooving. Even though I don't play the drums, whenever that point in the song comes up my air drumming goes into effect laugh.gif

For some reason, that moment, to me, is VERY cool.

I like the bass line in Middletown Dreams right at the beginning of the last minute if the song. mixed with the synth, it gives me goosebumbs.

Also, in Xanadu: The guitar squeal during the second verse: "....stars stop in the sky; Frozen in an everlasting view...." Simply amazing.

Different Stages - Disc 1 - Track 3 - Driven

Listen to the crowd when Geddy does the little Bass solo. Listen exactly at 2:12, and 2:16.

It's Necro checking out Geddy's solo, but discovering a spider crawling up his sleeve. laugh.gif