Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Lots of comments on Marathon, but I have another one to add about it that's probably already been mentioned:

After Geddy sings: "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast," you hear Neil do a little chromatic on his glockenspiel. I LOVE THAT PART!!!!

Another about Marathon: I love the little key change towards the end where it goes up about a half step... It makes me just love that song.

Paganoman,

in your very first post you mention the sound at 4:00 in on the guitar on Secret Touch, to me that has always reminded me of a dentist drill!!!!!

When I first caught it, I replayed it about 20 times.

cool find.

In La Villa, right after Alex's volume pedal solo, the sudden overdriven bent note is amazing.

Also, When Geddy sings "They live in Middletown" at the end of Middletown Dreams.

WOW I'm just catching all of these recent posts!! They are AWESOME!!

Thanks for contributing to this thread. It's always been my favorite one.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (JARG @ May 26 2006, 03:58 PM)
Another favorite musical moment is Alex's flub near the beginning of Closer To The Heart (studio version). The intro is played on a 12 string and Alex accidentially strikes the same note twice during the intro.

I love the way they decided to leave that in. That could have easily been repaired.

I'm just finding this thread but the one I always liked is in Xanadu in the middle of the guitar solo (9:53) where Alex is on some lower notes on the fretboard and then moves up the fretboard to some higher bends. You can hear him just release the strings and they sort of ring out until he grabs the higher nots. Almost as if you just hit the strings with your hand.

My favorite has to be the sneeze in Farewell to Kings on Different Stages Disc #3. Some may say it's the hi-hat but you can distinctly hear a human sounding voice in the sneeze. Listen at 4:20 to 4:23. Let me know what your opinion is.

Definitely not a great sound, but sort of a funny one.

On the ESL vinyl/CD, in the intro to YYZ (which was recorded in Montreal), in the little rest before the big snare flurry, some smart aleck yells "Mange d'la marde!" (french for "eat sh*t") and his voice is clearly heard above the crowd.

On the Replay DVD, when they play the audio to that part during the end credits, it seems to have been cleaned up.

Reminds me of the guy on Supertramp's "Paris" album who keeps saying "On s'en fout!' (we don't care!") when the singer is describing his breakfast before "Breakfast in America".

I love the little reverb in Big Money...

"Big money make mistakes-takes-takes-takes"

Not a Rush one, but you can clealy hear somebody coughing in the introduction to the song "wish you were here" by pink floyd wink.gif

The sea in the beginning of 'Natural Science', as well as the ethereal woodsy sounds in the beginning of 'Xanadu'.

Buenos nachos.

This has been quite a fun thread to read through. I have to go back and try to find all this good stuff.

One I didn't see listed - Dog Years, right at 4:16 there is a slide whistle. Now that I know its there, I hear it every time (which isn't too often because, ya know, we're talking about Dog Years).

Other small moments I like:

- The chimes at the end of Bytor that keep playing right through the grooves of the original vinyl until you remove the needle.

- The woosh at the end of Lamneth, after you think its over.

- Hand Over Fist - The guitar squeal right after "you know I've hated that song for so long".

- Geddy's diabolical "die-rection" in Earthshine (when they look in my diirection).

- As with the magic-everlasting note at the end of the Limelight solo, Alex does it again at the end of solo in Red Tide (albeit not as organically).

- The guitar feedback during the first few notes of Stick It Out.

- Hemispheres: Finally, after a years time, the last 2 chords from the end of Cygnus X-1 are played. Also, the faint reprise of moments from Cygnus X-1.

So many others...

QUOTE (drumstruck @ Jul 20 2006, 04:51 PM)
Buenos nachos.
This has been quite a fun thread to read through. I have to go back and try to find all this good stuff.

One I didn't see listed - Dog Years, right at 4:16 there is a slide whistle. Now that I know its there, I hear it every time (which isn't too often because, ya know, we're talking about Dog Years).

Other small moments I like:
- The chimes at the end of Bytor that keep playing right through the grooves of the original vinyl until you remove the needle.
- Hand Over Fist - The guitar squeal right after "you know I've hated that song for so long".
- Geddy's diabolical "die-rection" in Earthshine (when they look in my diirection).
- As with the magic-everlasting note at the end of the Limelight solo, Alex does it again at the end of solo in Red Tide (albeit not as organically).
- The guitar feedback during the first few notes of Stick It Out.
- Hemispheres: Finally, after a years time, the last 2 chords from the end of Cygnus X-1 are played. Also, the faint reprise of moments from Cygnus X-1.

So many others...

Ok it only took me eons to see this post.

One I didn't see listed - Dog Years, right at 4:16 there is a slide whistle.  Now that I know its there, I hear it every time (which isn't too often because, ya know,  we're talking about Dog Years).

Just listened for it. HEARD IT!! OMG - NICE FIND! Exactly what this thread is all about. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I love the woosh. Now, have you ever heard the crunch? Did you catch that in one of the earlier posts? Listen at 19/20 seconds.

Always been my favorite moment in the song. (This is my wife's favorite tune from Presto, btw)

It's never caught my attention before. Ok.... You're in the club. haha. That's VERY cool. I played it like 5 times over and over.

People... learn from this guy. I did. applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Ok here's a new one I just realized I should have posted here (and why I finally found Drumstrucks awesome entries above because I finally got my lazy ass back into this thread)

Alien Shore

I always heard this since the first time I've listened to it, but never thought to list it here. Anyway, I'm sure lots of us remember Spiderman cartoon series that was around in the 60's or 70's. Well, remember the sound effect they used whenever he slung his web? Listen at 0:08. It sounds so much like it. laugh.gif

Also, don't miss the randomly placed wood block sound that Neil keeps hitting.during the first and final verses.

Also, don't miss the cool cow bell riff during the solo around 3:50

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 2 2004, 04:45 PM)
its kinda obvious, but i love in freewill after "you can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill" neil hits that splash cymbal twice. it goes perfect.

I know this is an old post, but it's actually a china cymbal he hits.

Chemistry:

Alex's swirling guitar effect during the opening.

The echo used on Geddy's voice during the verses.

Neil's drum beat during the "Eye to I" section and the "One, two, three" section.

The double-bass, crash cymbal fills that Neil does at 4:19 & 4:21.

Digital Man:

Neil's fantastic opening fills.

Neil's 16th notes on the hi-hat during the first 20 seconds or so.

The electronic drums & the "doo doo doo doo" low synth sound at 2:49 up until 3:19 and then at 5:08 up until 5:44.

Neil's little cowbell fill around 2:31.

The 2nd little cowbell fill around 4:49.

The Weapon:

The wonderful fade-in with Neil's cool hi-hat/bass drum beat.

The echo used on Geddy's voice during the verses.

1:43 - those cool synth sounds, 1:56, 1:58, they all occur at those spots.

3:09/3:10 - ^^^same synth sounds as above, 3:19, 3:21.

3:27 through 4:57, all different synth effects, 4:22 kind of sounds like thunder in a way, 5:16, 5:17, 5:21, 5:22 more of the above-mentioned synth sounds.

The bass sounds "crunchy" around 5:56-5:59.

Countdown:

The opening synth sounds.

The conversation of the guys in the rocket.

The helicopter sounds & how they drift from the left channel to the left right channel. The synth at 4:34 through 5:02.

There's a little beep at about 5:17 right before the guy starts talking again in the rocket.

Distant Early Warning:

The opening noises.

The static sounds in the right chanel: :15 - :17

The organ throughout the whole song.

The snare drum throughout the whole song.

3:16 up until 3:28 is a cool part.

You can hear wind howling around 3:39, 3:40.

QUOTE (Same Old Me @ May 30 2006, 06:42 PM)
Know what I love so much? The last time (I think) Geddy sings "one moment's high" towards the end of Marathon..after it's already gone up an octive. He sort of wails it out but its so crisp and clear and echo-ey...and triumphant. Do you know the part I mean? This really puts the icing on the cake for that song for me. I always point it out if anyone's around while I'm listening to it.

--Same Old Me

trink38.gif <----Sam Adams

yes.gif I LUV that! trink39.gif

Red Sector A:

The cymbal Neil uses during the "I clutch the wire fence" through "We'll all be freed", & the "I hear the sound of gunfire" & "Stand up straight..." part.

There's chimes in the left speaker around 3:06.

I noticed the drum fill that Paganoman pointed out at 3:58, very nice! trink39.gif