Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

WHOOOOO HOOO!!! I knew you had it in ya!! laugh.gif trink39.gif

btw - Awesome descriptions on Barchetta and Show Don't Tell. HUGE. yes.gif

QUOTE (jazzbass @ Dec 16 2005, 06:34 PM)

OK.
Leave that thing alone. The B-C hammer on, down a fourth,down a fourth
C-E slide up, down a fourth, B-C hammer on, A down slide to F. biggrin.gif

That verse riff is kinda haunting.

Camera eye: The little C note accents pumps

YYZ: it is the Jazz bass tone on the song. it is just ANGRY sounding, especially the "A" string notes they just have a visceral sound to them. The "A" string C notes that he pumps out in 8th notes.

Vital signs. from a listening perspective it is the ending of the song. The bass is laying this heavy pattern on the "E" string G sharp-pull-off to G, A-sharp to C, repeat over and over. Ged just lays the foundation underneath the vocals.

Red Barchetta. towards the end of the song the little bass part with the double stops. Really love the subdued use of string pops on the R-30 version.

Show don't tell. right after the solo when he's playing the verse riff underneath the guitar and drums, then they all play it together.

2112: the accent of the E string A note up a third to the C-sharp 8th notes, then to the octave of the root A note. Those 5 notes take you to a nice plateau.

cygnus x-1 the hollow sounding bass in the distance that gradually comes in to your face.

see where I'm going here. A lot of what I like is how Geddy puts these accents into his playing. Getting his accents just right is the hardest part of nailing his tone. Finally having a lot of video of him playing is really helped to put the little nuances into my playing.

Hey J-bass, welcome to the forum, and I hear what you're saying. Those little nuances of Geddy's bass playing and tone are a big part of what makes the music so great. The dark, fuzzy growl that Geds gets with his J bass is amazing. I think the reason it works so well is that all of his accents make Neil's extraordinary drum work sound even better. I mean, with all of the different drums and cymbals he hits, you have to change things up on the bass.

I especially agree with YYZ and Vital Signs. YYZ just sounds incredible period, but my favorite parts are those one and two bar fills right before Alex's solo. The two bar one is my favorite, with the ascending riff and the two harmonics at the end. 1022.gif

My favorite bit about Vital Signs (other than the fact that every bass note locks in tight with the drums) is how the first arpeggio pattern mimics the synth line, it's just drool-worthy.

Hey tepes,

Yea, I also like the fills in YYZ. The harmonics at the end of the third fill really finalize that run. I don't know about you, but that second fill is pretty hard to get to sound right. I find the LaVilla fill easier to do.

That arpeggio pattern in Vital Signs is such a good finger workout. I use that a lot to warm up my fingers and get some blood flowing. Plus like you said that song is perfect. I've liked vital signs from the first time I heard it. No, having to hear it a few times and warm up to it, I just liked it straight away.

I also like to use that hammer on riff from, Home On The Strange. I believe that Geddy had said that little bit was part of a practice riff he had been using. Ya gotta hit it with conviction to make it sound right!

Edited by jazzbass

"Prime Mover"

I only first noticed this about a year or two ago. Listen to the beginning of the song, there's this faint eeee sound right after Geddy's first bass riff. It recurs throughout the song, very subtly, and it's beautiful.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 16 2005, 01:24 PM)
Ok you have to check out the Live Version of Ghost Rider from Rush In Rio.

At the 29/30 second mark... Geddy just finishes singing the line "Keep On Riding North and West"

The echo on his voice at that moment is just AWESOME!!!!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

awww, man!!! my RiR is at work right now sad.gif

Geddy's vocal "how wow wow" in Force Ten at about 4:14 always sounds good. Bravado has awesome drum bits at too many points to count; espectially betwee around 2:12 and 2:35. Chain Lightning has some of my favorite Bass work ever especially in the riffs between 2:26 and 2:45. Geddy's creepy Double Agent vocals have always been a favorite sound as well. Lerxst's guitar riff in YYZ around about 2:23 always had a cool almost...Egyptian sound to it, which I love.

...and then there's the piano in Resist... wub.gif

2.gif

The ending to 'Limelight' ... Alex's guitar is so damn powerful and Neil's incredible drumming just come to a crescendo and send shivers down my frickin' spine every time I hear it. Also love the stuff going on in 'Natural Science'...running water and Geddy's haunting vocals make that song one of my favorites. The song is a journey.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 30 2005, 03:42 PM)
Geddy's vocal "how wow wow" in Force Ten at about 4:14 always sounds good. Bravado has awesome drum bits at too many points to count; espectially betwee around 2:12 and 2:35. Chain Lightning has some of my favorite Bass work ever especially in the riffs between 2:26 and 2:45. Geddy's creepy Double Agent vocals have always been a favorite sound as well. Lerxst's guitar riff in YYZ around about 2:23 always had a cool almost...Egyptian sound to it, which I love.

...and then there's the piano in Resist... wub.gif

2.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

I thought I was the only one who had that connection to Chain Lighting. I can get lost in Geddy's bass and not hear anything else with that song.

Also have to agree with Bravado. I can't even say the name of the song anymore without having to yell, ROLINDA!!! Sheer masterful work from Neil on that song. It's more subtle, so it gets by a lot of ears.

Ok you gotta hear this. I'm in the middle of trying to make this mondo sized Rush Medley of tunes ranging from the beginning years up to '82. So, I'm listening to hours and hours of sections, and snippits. It's been AWESOME, yet aggravating.

ANYWAY

I'm listening to In The Mood, and at the beginning of the 2nd verse is sounds like they did some edit of the vocal over another vocal. It's so weird.

So, I went to our Anthems forum to see what it says the vocal of that line should be:

Well, hey, now, baby

That's what is there.

BUT LISTEN!! 0:55 seconds. There's some S sound that's been covered up as though it was originally 'Say hey now baby' or something.

Wind up is that Geddy doesn't even come out with something that's English!! laugh.gif What the hell is 'A Wswed a hey now baby'???

Give a listen. I love chatching shit like this.

at 0:55 seconds

DO IT

Great thread everyone. Thought I would chime in:

Red Barchetta - the outro with the bass and drums is just awesome, then Alex re-enters and Geddy picks up on his melody. Sounds fabulous live; they cut the song off too soon on the studio version!!!!!

A Show of Hands - the transition from the 3 Stooges intro to The Big Money. That opening chord sounds HUGE!!!

Xanadu - imediately after the transition from the "ethereal" to Alex picking the arpeggio-like part - Neil plays the downbeats and all of a sudden hits the snare just before one of the downbeats (then goes on to three drum hits, then four . . .) - (hope I explained this one ok)

Secret Touch - during the "bridge" I guess you might call it, Alex is rocking along by himself then Geddy and Neil come in with those low fast accents. AWESOME!!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 30 2006, 05:46 PM)

Well, hey, now, baby

That's what is there.

BUT LISTEN!! 0:55 seconds. There's some S sound that's been covered up as though it was originally 'Say hey now baby' or something.

I think it's a hi-hat sound, check out 1:07 during the line 'Make it last' and you hear much the same 'scht' sound again, spod fans...

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 1 2006, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 30 2006, 05:46 PM)

Well, hey, now, baby

That's what is there.

BUT LISTEN!! 0:55 seconds.  There's some S sound that's been covered up as though it was originally 'Say hey now baby' or something. 

I think it's a hi-hat sound, check out 1:07 during the line 'Make it last' and you hear much the same 'scht' sound again, spod fans...

Disco

Ah... I suspect you may be right.

But I just can't be sure. laugh.gif

I've listened to every open hi-hat in the song, and it could be... but yet it sounds like it could be something different at that point.

Hell.... it makes more sense to the hi-hat instead of some overlapped vocal. trink39.gif

...I love all this super-geeky-let's-listen-to-every-detail-stuff.

Awesome spot Pags, if you hear anything else unusual in your travels let us all know.

Dischtco

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 1 2006, 02:53 PM)
...I love all this super-geeky-let's-listen-to-every-detail-stuff.

Awesome spot Pags, if you hear anything else unusual in your travels let us all know.

Dischtco

trink39.gif

Super-Geeky... rofl3.gif

Finally, someone who understands me. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

..and at 1:29 of Take a Friend during the line 'Someone on whom you can alwaySCHTs depend' the sound appears again, albeit quieter.

It's a very sibilant 's' at the beginning of the line isn't it?

Love to all

Disco

How's about this for a sound, in the Rush in Rio version of Cygnus X-1, from about 27-37 seconds, Alex builds a guitar note out of the bell sounds, into a wail then a roar before kicking into the riff. Nice.

Disco

Right, here's one.

There's an extraneous sound in Red Lenses during the drum break down, a high pitch 'whup'. It's at 3:17.642 and it's very quiet, you have to listen carefully.

I don't think it's meant to be there, just a sound that crept in somehow. Check it out...

Love

Disco

I really like the "upside down" platter cymbal that NP hits in his drum kit. I think he uses it in "Mystic Rythms". Kinda like a shattering sound.

What kind of cymbal is it? confused13.gif M R sounds awesome. The special pedal Alex uses...

Ok...didn't have time to read ALL the previous posts...so...

Anybody notice two bass lines in portions of Ceiling Unlimited?

Also on VT, the super heavy bass in the break on secret touch...It's so much more prominent than on Rio...Sounds like the amp's straining under the pressure to emit so much low end.

And I can't remember which song from Presto...but it has an odd little speed up in the middle that wouldn't fit for any other band but Rush. I'll listen to it tomorrow at work to remind me so I can describe it better.

And... Ithink that's actually Neil's voice on Double Agent. Too bad...it's an exceptional song except for that part. The lyrics are really good...it's just the delivery. Oh well.

Rock on

Edited by steelcaressed

Dang, you guys hear everything!! After two hours of reading posts the only other thing I can think of is Alex's volume swells at the beginning of Xanandu, which never fail to freak me out, and I believe he uses the same effect in LVS. Also, the harmonics Alex hits in the intro to RB are just sublime. 653.gif And I love Ged's patented Hey!! In the first break of Earthshine on R-30. Oh yeah, also on R-30 when Alex grabs Ged's nose at the end of The Seeker and tweaks it to the sound of his guitar! icon_really_happy_guy.gif Edited by Weakly Criminal