Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 7 2011, 11:02 PM)
Hey pags, I had an idea and I'd like to share it with you (and the rest of you)...

Can we start a new thread like this one, but organize it in a way where it'd be ezy to read through? I'm thinking like saying: DAY 1 Finding My Way...

And then everybody posts the part that sticks out to them (live versions of the song as well). Day two is take a friend and so on...
What do you think? That way it would be easier to read through and if somebody was interested in a particular song they would find it. And everybody gets to analyze that day's song a little more. If a day is too much per song, we can do album sides, or just the whole album.

Just an idea.

ohmy.gif I think this is a really great idea. I'd like to get some clarity on the parameters in posting about the songs. What I mean is, this particular thread is supposed to be about very specific (and normally hidden) sounds or moments that could easily escape the listener's ear, with minutes/seconds posted as to when it exactly happens. I wanted the reader to be able to go "Holy shit I never heard that before". General comments like "The guitar solo in Freewill" or "Geddy's vocals on all of Something For Nothing" never did it for me in terms of what I wanted for this thread. So if a 'new' thread is started about each song, and you want it to be exactly like 'this' one, my thinking is to post only things that are very specific and distinct. Is that what you had in mind as well?

trink39.gif

That's a good idea but I think one thread is the best way to go and keep on updating a list on what songs were already done and even what pages of the thread they are on to make it easier to find a specific song. That is if someone is willing to keep a list up to date. Just a suggestion.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 10 2011, 08:57 AM)
Hey pags, I had an idea and I'd like to share it with you (and the rest of you)...

Can we start a new thread like this one, but organize it in a way where it'd be ezy to read through? I'm thinking like saying: DAY 1 Finding My Way...

And then everybody posts the part that sticks out to them (live versions of the song as well). Day two is take a friend and so on...
What do you think? That way it would be easier to read through and if somebody was interested in a particular song they would find it. And everybody gets to analyze that day's song a little more. If a day is too much per song, we can do album sides, or just the whole album.

Just an idea.

ohmy.gif I think this is a really great idea. I'd like to get some clarity on the parameters in posting about the songs. What I mean is, this particular thread is supposed to be about very specific (and normally hidden) sounds or moments that could easily escape the listener's ear, with minutes/seconds posted as to when it exactly happens. I wanted the reader to be able to go "Holy shit I never heard that before". General comments like "The guitar solo in Freewill" or "Geddy's vocals on all of Something For Nothing" never did it for me in terms of what I wanted for this thread. So if a 'new' thread is started about each song, and you want it to be exactly like 'this' one, my thinking is to post only things that are very specific and distinct. Is that what you had in mind as well?

trink39.gif

Yes sir.

It could be a hidden sound, or a specific triplet they all play together that only happens once in the song, or an unusual note Alex plays in the middle of the solo, or a run he does...anything that is very specific and mainly happens just once.

No saying, "the guitar solo in different strings." You'd have to say, "the note that Alex holds for a half-second longer than the one he played before at 3:45," or something like that. (I just made that up, don't look for that tongue.gif)

But we have to go in order so that it can be organized.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 10 2011, 11:46 AM)
That's a good idea but I think one thread is the best way to go and keep on updating a list on what songs were already done and even what pages of the thread they are on to make it easier to find a specific song. That is if someone is willing to keep a list up to date. Just a suggestion.

Good idea, but I was thinking it may just be better to start from scratch because it can be a pain going through this one, and there are certainly some gems in here.

If it's in order, you know what to look for, and that way everyone gets a chance to analyze the song and look at it in a way they hadn't before.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 10 2011, 12:55 PM)

Good idea, but I was thinking it may just be better to start from scratch because it can be a pain going through this one, and there are certainly some gems in here.

If it's in order, you know what to look for, and that way everyone gets a chance to analyze the song and look at it in a way they hadn't before.

awesome idea.

it would be cool if every post had youtube links with specific times that the "R-spot" happens..

..and don't forget the "prelude ting"!

it's kinda like Yes' "yours is no disgrace double- ting", but half as much! lol

here's one from Caravan 15 seconds into the song Neil imitates a "choo choo" train sound with the cymbal

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 10 2011, 06:57 AM)

Just an idea.

trink39.gif

Yeah, these sort of general things are more suited for the thread I started on "your R-spot."

Specifically, here, I'd like to say that I am in love with that three-note riff that Alex plays at the end of Force Ten: after the break, when Geddy comes back in "Look in to the eye of the storm" and these three notes from the aether come at you.... wub.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 11 2011, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 10 2011, 12:55 PM)

awesome idea.

it would be cool if every post had youtube links with specific times that the "R-spot" happens..

..and don't forget the "prelude ting"!

it's kinda like Yes' "yours is no disgrace double- ting", but half as much! lol

here's one from Caravan 15 seconds into the song Neil imitates a "choo choo" train sound with the cymbal

This is not an 'r spot' thread. I'm not sure a youtube link will work, because in many cases the sounds or moments that are being referenced are really hidden and could require headphones and a high quality version of the song.

At 5:05 in La Villa (during LIW), Alex plays 4-5 notes very quickly and it has a "bouncy" sound just... I love it! wub.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 22 2011, 12:40 PM)
and in Vapor Trail (song) at around 2:31 (if i'm not mistaken) there is a noise that sounds like a car door opening, maybe a motorcycle noise? confused13.gif

I definitely just heard this.

Not sure what it is.....sounds like it could be another guitar layer.

In The Big Wheel,

right after Geddy says if I do the right dance (right before it goes into the chorus), there is a very hard to hear echo in his voice that serves as a brilliant transition into the chorus. It fits very, very nicely and sets a darker tone.

Force Ten just came up on my playlist and I remembered how many amazing sections there are in it:

Firstly the bass line is just a great opener, and then the second verse has all this:

1:59 - The chord sequence with all the open strings

2:05 - That short, punchy guitar riff

2:09 - Alex's combiantion of harmonic and tremolo

2:18 - When that synth kicks in and the verse reaches its full intensity

One of my all-time favourites!

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 24 2004, 12:04 AM)
I like Geddy's whispering in The Twilight Zone. When your wearing headphones it makes it seem like he's right behind you.

The first time I heard that, I was lying in bed, and I got really creeped out, lol. I love it though. <3

It's time to resurrect this old but awesome thread. While making the video version of the Rush Mega Medley Project, two made themselves known. One in Cinderella Man, and the other in Cygnus X-I.

The Cinderella Man Wood Block thingy:

Listen at 2:33. I never heard it before, and now that my ears have picked it up it's loud and clear. Very cool. Check it out!

Cygnus X-I's crying:

I don't know how else to describe it. But during the section of the song starting at 3:36 and ending at 4:15 (once the synth kicks in I think the crying stops).

Listen carefully to what sounds like a sporadic metallic whining. It's awesome.

1022.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Where to begin, there are so many.

There's a moment in the violin solo in Losing It where the guitar and violin collide producing a myriad of notes and ghost notes.

The gorgeous sound of the mini solo in the third part of Natural Science.

QUOTE (Pags @ May 23 2012, 01:19 PM)

Cygnus X-I's crying:

I don't know how else to describe it. But during the section of the song starting at 3:36 and ending at 4:15 (once the synth kicks in I think the crying stops).

Listen carefully to what sounds like a sporadic metallic whining. It's awesome.

I think I hear that... it's a noise I'm hearing panned way over to the right?

haha, and the Cinderella Man woodblock thing... I was always "aware" of it, but now it's always gonna stick out loud and clear to me. smile.gif

has anyone mentioned the reverse/phasy guitar sound in the second half of the Far Cry chorus? i didn't notice that until i listened to the 5.1 mix.

i also really like that filter sweep on the hithats in The Main Monkey Business at 3:25-3:40.

also, theres a vibraslap during the guitar solo in Closer to the Heart -that one got slightly annoying on the 5.1 mix...