Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

If mystic rhythms is in 4/4 time (which I think it is) it would be on beat 4 of the 2nd measure and beat 4 of the 4th measure and so on if that helps.

On Red Sector A it's right after the words "A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel"

Hope that helps

-JRS- confused13.gif

BETWEEN SUN AND MOON

I've been listening to this song cranked in my earbuds lately, and I've noticed something that never made itself apparent before. It's kinda cool. AND - in trying to get specific on the time just now, I'm also realizing it's only in the left channel but not the right.

3:38-3:40: Listen for this low growling synth sound in the background in the quiet moments before the guitars kick back in. It's awesome.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Life is Just the Candle @ Feb 11 2011, 10:30 PM)
At the end of Didacts and Narpets when theres the mix of LISTEN!, and in headphones, you can hear the echo, which I love

Oh yeah, I noticed that! Good one! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hi Guys.

Got back into Rush in a really big way last summer and saw them in Va. First time in 15 years. Happened to see this site around then but this thread made me stop lurking and actually post something.

Was listening to Animate in the car yesterday and noticed that in the instrumental section that starts around 3:22 there is a really strong sound at 3:34. Not even sure how to describe it and had never noticed it before. But it rattled my windows. And it's very cool and powerful. Actually love that whole section. Just what I needed while sitting in traffic for 2 hours.

Oh and my wife hates Rush. Doesn't fit well with her Johnny Cash. But my 8 year daughter old asks me to put them on every time we're in the car. Wants to dress up like Geddy for Halloween. How funny is that?

QUOTE (mpk22 @ Mar 5 2011, 10:02 AM)
Was listening to Animate in the car yesterday and noticed that in the instrumental section that starts around 3:22 there is a really strong sound at 3:34.  Not even sure how to describe it and had never noticed it before.  But it rattled my windows.  And it's very cool and powerful.  Actually love that whole section.  Just what I needed while sitting in traffic for 2 hours.

Are you talking about the high pitched whine? That's Alex doing a guitar solo. It's slow but like you said, powerful.

On another note...

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

2.gif Welcome to TRF! 2.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

No, it's not a high pitch whine, it's a really low frequency rumble. I think it's probably just Neil hitting on a bass drum of some type, but for whatever reason it sounds a little different to me. Maybe my old ears?! It just hit me as really cool for some reason.

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Aug 18 2010, 12:27 PM)
If mystic rhythms is in 4/4 time (which I think it is) it would be on beat 4 of the 2nd measure and beat 4 of the 4th measure and so on if that helps.

On Red Sector A it's right after the words "A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel"

Hope that helps

-JRS- confused13.gif

One thing you can do if you have the ability is to load the song into something like Sonar or Cubase and cut out the section and save it.The next step (which is the tricky part) is to load it into some kind of editing software, I use izotope Advanced you can download a free fully functioning trial. What you can do with this is edit out any of the melodies that might be overlapping with it. Ihave done this for his cowbell in witch hunt, the bell tree in yyz,high water and many others.With a little practice i even got the bell tree to oscillate from left to right i yyz.

I had the same problem as you, I could not find any info on his sounds so i copied them. If your controller can download the sounds to memory you are set. If not you can use several inexpensive softwares....stand alone or vst to trigger them.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE (mpk22 @ Mar 5 2011, 10:37 AM)
No, it's not a high pitch whine, it's a really low frequency rumble.  I think it's probably just Neil hitting on a bass drum of some type, but for whatever reason it sounds a little different to me.  Maybe my old ears?!  It just hit me as really cool for some reason.

So cool that this thread brought you out of lurksville and into postville. That's awesome. Welcome!!

Without listening to it, I think I know exactly the note you're talking about. It happens twice when Neil hits that really low end boom just before the guitar solo, and everything shakes.

KICK ASS ENTRY to this thread. I swear if someone goes page for page and listens to everything listed here, their mind might melt and they'll look like my avatar. I love it. 1022.gif

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (Pags)
I swear if someone goes page for page and listens to everything listed here, their mind might melt and they'll look like my avatar. I love it.

No! I don't want to look like Pizza the Hut! I'll get trapped in my limo and eat myself to death! huh.gif tongue.gif

Ahem, but to get on the topic of this thread.. Basically any of the songs that have those really interesting or unique beginnings always grab my attention and hang on. 2112, Hemispheres, Xanadu, YYZ, OLV, and Mission come to mind. If you're not expecting it, it makes it more interesting!

I especially love, in Xanadu, how it builds up until you get everyone in there at.. 2:03. (Studio version.) That's just so, so epic it's unbelievable. Same thing in La Villa, at around the two-minute mark, as well. But for that one, the ESL beginning has stuck out to me the most.

There are far too many to choose a single favorite from, so I'll go with my favorite sound from each album (not including Caress of Steel and the debut, as I haven't gotten around to them yet):

The ultra-distorted guitar in "By-Tor and the Snow Dog".

The panning and echoes at the beginning of "2112".

That weird creaking noise at the beginning of "Cygnus X-1".

In "The Trees", that low-key guitar in the background that you don't really notice until about 2:18.

The harp (?) in "Different Strings".

The tambourine or whatever it is that pops in at 2:28, 2:35, and 2:42 in "YYZ". Also, the synthesizer chords that start at 2:51.

The Pink Floyd-ish distorted violin solo in "Losing It", along with all of the accompanying instrumentation.

The synthesizer that goes "brrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrRRRRrrRRrrrr" in the background of "Afterimage".

There are so many awesome sounds to choose from in Power Windows, but I'll have to go with the low, rumbling synthesizer in "Mystic Rhythms" that starts after the "African sun" line.

The drum machine at the beginning and end of "Force Ten".

The effect on Geddy's voice for the "Respond! Vibrate!" line in "Chain Lightning".

Geddy's distorted voice for the rap in "Roll the Bones". tongue.gif Seriously, though, I can't think of anything from that album to go here.

The bass in "Leave That Thing Alone".

Same story with Test for Echo as with Roll the Bones. The only difference is that "Limbo" sounds kind of cool, but that has more to do with its overall production than with any one sound.

The opening notes of "Freeze", along with the other times that they appear. And, really, Vapor Trails doesn't sound bad at all if you can find the fan remaster that's been circulating on the Internet.

The mandolin in "Workin' Them Angels".

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 27 2004, 01:06 AM)

* Cold Fire - Under the same pretense as Lock and Key, the vocals during "I'll be around... (etc)" with the higher notes seemed to work well with the lower noted vocal line.  This is prevalent throughout most of the song, so I dont know if that qualifies as a sound instance at all.

It's harmony man. tongue.gif

Also, it's really the only time he shines with harmony. Everything else, sans TWTWB's sounds like Octaves.

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Mar 7 2011, 12:29 PM)
High Water at 0:45/0:46. Never paid any attention to that before.

Holy crap I never caught that before. This is awesome, and exactly what this thread is all about. Nice catch!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hey pags, I had an idea and I'd like to share it with you (and the rest of you)...

Can we start a new thread like this one, but organize it in a way where it'd be ezy to read through? I'm thinking like saying: DAY 1 Finding My Way...

And then everybody posts the part that sticks out to them (live versions of the song as well). Day two is take a friend and so on...

What do you think? That way it would be easier to read through and if somebody was interested in a particular song they would find it. And everybody gets to analyze that day's song a little more. If a day is too much per song, we can do album sides, or just the whole album.

Just an idea.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 7 2011, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (Lamelight @ Mar 7 2011, 11:29 AM)
High Water at 0:45/0:46. Never paid any attention to that before.

What am I supposed to be hearing here?

You're supposed to be hearing a tambourine type sound.