Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 23 2010, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 23 2010, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 10:10 PM)
Around 3:50 in Marathon (studio) during the guitar solo a piano appears and plays some notes here and there.
They also seem to bounce between the left & right channels due to panning at certain times.

Pretty cool effect.

Rush! Good to see you bud. Hopefully I'll run into you at PNC, I missed you last year (I was delayed in talking to a friend of mine after the show, and found out afterward that you had found the TRF clan).

Anyway, I hear 'something' but it doesn't sound like a piano. It almost sounds like an echo or reverb on Alex's guitar. But I can't be sure. So much is going on it's hard to tell. But I hear 'something', that repeats the same note three times at 3:49, 3:50, and 3:51. It's really cool, and certainly something I've never noticed before. Is that what you're hearing?

Hey Pag, yeah I remember asking where you were and someone told me you were talking to a friend.

No big deal though, we'll probably be able to meet up this year. smile.gif

And actually that isn't what I'm referring to, I made a mistake...

The sounds I'm hearing don't start till 3:53, and it stops @ about 4:14.

You can hear it kind of bounce around...

I definitely think it's a piano, or a piano from a synth...

Edit: The piano appears precisely @ 3:53 in the left channel.

Sounds like it has a small delay on it too.

And it goes on till 4:14 or so...

Yep, I hear exactly what you describe. A cool touch!

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 15 2010, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 23 2010, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 23 2010, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 10:10 PM)
Around 3:50 in Marathon (studio) during the guitar solo a piano appears and plays some notes here and there.
They also seem to bounce between the left & right channels due to panning at certain times.

Pretty cool effect.

Rush! Good to see you bud. Hopefully I'll run into you at PNC, I missed you last year (I was delayed in talking to a friend of mine after the show, and found out afterward that you had found the TRF clan).

Anyway, I hear 'something' but it doesn't sound like a piano. It almost sounds like an echo or reverb on Alex's guitar. But I can't be sure. So much is going on it's hard to tell. But I hear 'something', that repeats the same note three times at 3:49, 3:50, and 3:51. It's really cool, and certainly something I've never noticed before. Is that what you're hearing?

Hey Pag, yeah I remember asking where you were and someone told me you were talking to a friend.

No big deal though, we'll probably be able to meet up this year. smile.gif

And actually that isn't what I'm referring to, I made a mistake...

The sounds I'm hearing don't start till 3:53, and it stops @ about 4:14.

You can hear it kind of bounce around...

I definitely think it's a piano, or a piano from a synth...

Edit: The piano appears precisely @ 3:53 in the left channel.

Sounds like it has a small delay on it too.

And it goes on till 4:14 or so...

Yep, I hear exactly what you describe. A cool touch!

I heard it, too! Finally!!

Nice find, Rush!! trink39.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 22 2010, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Apr 22 2010, 09:09 PM)
It's in there. Either that or my hearing is completely off. You really gotta listen for it.

Sorry, but I always thought the 'heys' were glaringly audible. Keep trying if you can't make it out. It's definitely there. I love the 'heys'! They come just before the first and second verses. Very cool. trink39.gif

If I may also add another interesting sound in Chain Lightning, there is a slight snare-like sound at the 0:03/0:04 second mark. It's very slight, and lasts 1/3 second at most, but it's there. Crank up those headphones for this one, and listen tight.

i never heard either one of those until you posted about it.

thanks! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 07:10 PM)

Pretty cool effect.

laugh.gif that IS kewl! but how did you ever hear that while Alex was tearing it up??? confused13.gif

nice find! trink38.gif

I just listened to a couple things. The Camera Eye on CD sounded amazing at very high volume. And YYZ's bass line in the main verses is in-frigging-credible. I've really never heard it like tonight, each string ringing out big and deep, popping each note like lighting strikes. Chills!

I mention this because normally I'm listening on my ipod or the appletv when at home. But I have a fairly high end system and the family was out so for shits and giggles i dusted off the (gasp) CD! Sounds so much better!

Now to my original point about sounds...

Also put on Between The Wheels from R30 and the sustain from Alex's guitar at the end is giant! I mean the sound from this recording is spacially HUGE! Thanks God for big ass loudspeakers!

QUOTE (quickfree @ Jun 18 2010, 09:34 PM)
God, this thread is still going? I must posted in this 2 or 3 times on impulse.

As long as there are hidden sounds that people can discover, this thread should never die. Those posts of yours... were they any good? I don't remember them.

Here are two of mine

-there is subliminal messaging during the guitar solo in Alien Shore. If you listen carefully, you can hear a voice talking.

-I like who Freeze just explodes at the part when Geddy sings "I can't stand to reason or surrender to a reflex". I love that part 1022.gif

Caravan at 0:18, you can hear a 'piano note' that sounds like someone getting a pop up message on the computer,

possibly "Windows XP Exclamation" sound effect? unsure.gif

whichever sound effect it is, its the same one that notifies me of incoming email at work.

i heard it right away, the first time i listened to Caravan ohmy.gif

i just haven't had a good opportunity to post this since then confused13.gif

...too many damned work emails i spose. sad.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 26 2004, 10:09 PM)
ok here's another:
  • Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus. Take special notice at 3:58. The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here. They are awesome!!!

Yes I love that part! Sounds so awesome! Personally, I also like the guitar towards the beginning of The Necromancer like at 1:39. The cool noises at the very beginning of 2112 are great too.

I love the general punchiness of Ged's Ric tone, this became more apparent to me when I experienced "Hemispheres" at full volume next to the sub woofer of a VW Rabbit. It makes me proud to be a Bassist (who knows how to play that song) 1022.gif

There's a million of these.

By-Tor & the Snowdog: The guitar chords at 1:36-1:50.

Lakeside Park - the opening drum fill, which is the first fill I play on my drum kit during sounchecks at gigs (it uses the snare and all the toms).

Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres. 2:35. Ding!

La Villa Strangiato: Bass solo at 6:08, drum fill at 6:42

The Camera Eye - Guitar chords at 1:38-1:43 and similar. This is gonna send chills up and down my spine tomorrow night when I hear these played live for the first time.

Subdivisions, 2:27 and 4:08 - that sprawling G chord resolving the synth lead breaks.

Digital Man - drum fill at 4:35 and all the little Stewart Copeland-y stuff.

The Weapon - three drum fills from 5:10-5:20, bringing out of guitar solo back into opening riff and into final chorus

New World Man - the drum fills at 1:24 and 2:34

Big Money - drum fill at 1:15

Aimee Mann's laugh at the beginning of Force Ten. And right before that, that drum sample that sounds like someone dribbling a basketball in a huge gymnasium. Boom, BAFFFF, Boom Boom, BAFF. Boom, BAFF, Boom Boom.

The piano bridge of Anagram (For Mongo).

Cut to the Chase - 3:44 - that drum break towards the end which is mixed and panned all funny.

The Hemispheres-like F# chord that punctuates Far Cry.

When Geddy says "hey" right before Alex's solo in "Between Sun and Moon"

When he says "evalate from the norm" @ 4:09 - cracks me up everytime (instead of elevate).

I'm a drummer so I notice that stuff. The drummers on here may be able to help me pin this one down. It is a little tough to describe but Neil uses this sound on various songs. The ones that come to mind at this late hour are Mystic Rhythms, Red Sector A, and The Enemy Within. It's kind of a cracking/popping sound he triggers with his KAT Pedal. If I had to attempt to spell the sound it would go something like "cah" (my apologies for that absurd attempt at spelling a word that doesn't exist). I'm sorry I can't really describe it any better than that. It sounds like a cross between a wood block and clap sound hit at the same time. I have inquired about this before and I was told it was a "clap trap" that Neil had years ago dating back to the Simmons pad days. He still uses this sound today on the newer Roland V-Drums. I'm guessing the sound was sampled from the old clap trap. I have tried going through all the sounds on my Rolands and can't come up with anything close to it except an abbreviated clap sound. Any input would be great. confused13.gif doh.gif fing.gif fists crying.gif wtf.gif banghead.gif

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Aug 16 2010, 11:22 PM)
When Geddy says "hey" right before Alex's solo in "Between Sun and Moon"

When he says "evalate from the norm" @ 4:09 - cracks me up everytime (instead of elevate).

I always thought "A tired mind become a shape-shifter" kind of sounded like it could have been "A diabetic coma changed Hitler".

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Aug 17 2010, 02:44 AM)
It's kind of a cracking/popping sound he triggers with his KAT Pedal. If I had to attempt to spell the sound it would go something like "cah" (my apologies for that absurd attempt at spelling a word that doesn't exist).

I think I know which sound that you are talking about... It's not the same as the "plywood" sound, is it?

It almost sounds like it could be a handclap sample from an old Linn machine with a lot of reverb on it.

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Aug 17 2010, 04:44 AM)
I'm a drummer so I notice that stuff. The drummers on here may be able to help me pin this one down. It is a little tough to describe but Neil uses this sound on various songs. The ones that come to mind at this late hour are Mystic Rhythms, Red Sector A, and The Enemy Within. It's kind of a cracking/popping sound he triggers with his KAT Pedal. If I had to attempt to spell the sound it would go something like "cah" (my apologies for that absurd attempt at spelling a word that doesn't exist). I'm sorry I can't really describe it any better than that. It sounds like a cross between a wood block and clap sound hit at the same time. I have inquired about this before and I was told it was a "clap trap" that Neil had years ago dating back to the Simmons pad days. He still uses this sound today on the newer Roland V-Drums. I'm guessing the sound was sampled from the old clap trap. I have tried going through all the sounds on my Rolands and can't come up with anything close to it except an abbreviated clap sound. Any input would be great. confused13.gif doh.gif fing.gif fists crying.gif wtf.gif banghead.gif

Do you have an example of it? Song and time?