Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

During the intro to "The Weapon", there is one emphatic drumbeat that sounds as if Neil took a whack on an e-drum. Not sure if that's the case, but it really stands out.

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 18 2010, 12:37 AM)
The intro to New World Man ( I think it's bass? confused13.gif )
all of Malignant Narcissism, especially the little breaks where Geddy just does his thing tongue.gif
The Drums in War Paint
the industrial noises at the beginning of Force Ten
the weird little laugh, also at the beginning of Force Ten

The thing I love most about the drums in Warpaint is how Neil concentrates on the high toms for the fills in the first verse when the lyrics describe what the girl is doing - then concentrates on the low toms in the 2nd verse when describing the boy. It's very, very cool.

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 19 2010, 08:44 AM)
all of Malignant Narcissism, especially the little breaks where Geddy just does his thing tongue.gif
The Drums in War Paint

The thing I love most about the drums in Warpaint is how Neil concentrates on the high toms for the fills in the first verse when the lyrics describe what the girl is doing - then concentrates on the low toms in the 2nd verse when describing the boy. It's very, very cool.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 19 2010, 12:44 PM)
The Drums in War Paint

Just listened -- cool! Nice observation! smile.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 19 2010, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 19 2010, 12:44 PM)
The Drums in War Paint

Just listened -- cool! Nice observation! smile.gif

Yeah I've always been impressed by how he worked the drum part to the lyric that way. I guess that's the gem of being the wordsmith as well as the drummer. To take this one further, in the third stance of the song (girls and boys together / paint it black), notice how the fills are now centered on the snare. I think Neil uses the drums to help 'tell' the story of the song unlike any other. I'd like to see him do more of that again with their newer material.

Now to really put this thread back on topic:

Check out War Paint between 1:08 and 1:32. Alex's subtle guitar accents through this segment. There is this rogue note in the left channel at 1:11 that is really wild! These accents are not there when this segment is repeated at 2:24.

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 29 2009, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 29 2009, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 29 2009, 12:19 PM)
I went a listened to La Villa. It was hard to hear any "ghosted" solo. Besides, Broon would have tried to clean it up the best he could. I did hear some of it, however. Listen to the part from 3:45-3:49. You can hear a faint guitar in the background. This must be the old solo!

Yeah....I listened about 4 times, and it was VERY faint. I did hear it though.

That said.......were I not specifically looking there and told there was an old solo, I wouldn't have ever known.

THAT'S WHY THIS THREAD IS THE GREATEST THREAD ON TRF!! laugh.gif

I completely agree.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Apr 20 2010, 09:02 PM)
Another great sound is that organy synth at the beginning of Mission

goodpost.gif

The whole song is a great sound yes.gif

Edited by xredsectorx

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 17 2010, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jan 23 2008, 07:21 AM)
The verse in 'Prime Mover' where Ged says alter our preception  ... lenses polarize and the sound is split into left and right channels on 'polarize'  Always great cranked up on the Bose headphones.  yes.gif

I totally heard it 1022.gif that's awesome

I love that. yes.gif 1022.gif

Something I've always noticed in Chain Lightning. During the verse, where Geddy's playing chords, I can very faintly hear someone saying "Hey! Hey! Hey!" I first hear it around 0:21, and it happens at those same parts in the song. Something to look into...

QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Apr 22 2010, 09:09 PM)
It's in there. Either that or my hearing is completely off. You really gotta listen for it.

Sorry, but I always thought the 'heys' were glaringly audible. Keep trying if you can't make it out. It's definitely there. I love the 'heys'! They come just before the first and second verses. Very cool. trink39.gif

If I may also add another interesting sound in Chain Lightning, there is a slight snare-like sound at the 0:03/0:04 second mark. It's very slight, and lasts 1/3 second at most, but it's there. Crank up those headphones for this one, and listen tight.

Around 3:50 in Marathon (studio) during the guitar solo a piano appears and plays some notes here and there.

They also seem to bounce between the left & right channels due to panning at certain times.

Pretty cool effect.

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 22 2010, 06:52 PM)
It's in there. Either that or my hearing is completely off. You really gotta listen for it.

Sorry, but I always thought the 'heys' were glaringly audible. Keep trying if you can't make it out. It's definitely there. I love the 'heys'! They come just before the first and second verses. Very cool. trink39.gif

If I may also add another interesting sound in Chain Lightning, there is a slight snare-like sound at the 0:03/0:04 second mark. It's very slight, and lasts 1/3 second at most, but it's there. Crank up those headphones for this one, and listen tight.

I heard the snare-y sound, still nto hearing the "Hey".. wonder if my hearing sucks

Oh wow. I wasn't listening for something spoken like that, that scared the crap out of me lol. safe to say I heard it though

Edited by Handle With Kid Gloves

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 10:10 PM)
Around 3:50 in Marathon (studio) during the guitar solo a piano appears and plays some notes here and there.
They also seem to bounce between the left & right channels due to panning at certain times.

Pretty cool effect.

Rush! Good to see you bud. Hopefully I'll run into you at PNC, I missed you last year (I was delayed in talking to a friend of mine after the show, and found out afterward that you had found the TRF clan).

Anyway, I hear 'something' but it doesn't sound like a piano. It almost sounds like an echo or reverb on Alex's guitar. But I can't be sure. So much is going on it's hard to tell. But I hear 'something', that repeats the same note three times at 3:49, 3:50, and 3:51. It's really cool, and certainly something I've never noticed before. Is that what you're hearing?

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 22 2010, 11:57 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 22 2010, 06:52 PM)

I heard the snare-y sound, still nto hearing the "Hey".. wonder if my hearing sucks

Oh wow. I wasn't listening for something spoken like that, that scared the crap out of me lol. safe to say I heard it though

Cool. I listened to it again this morning very loudly. Definitely at the 0:04 mark, and I just noticed again at 0:06. Kinda neat.

Glad you found those 'heys'. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 23 2010, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 10:10 PM)

Pretty cool effect.

Rush! Good to see you bud. Hopefully I'll run into you at PNC, I missed you last year (I was delayed in talking to a friend of mine after the show, and found out afterward that you had found the TRF clan).

Anyway, I hear 'something' but it doesn't sound like a piano. It almost sounds like an echo or reverb on Alex's guitar. But I can't be sure. So much is going on it's hard to tell. But I hear 'something', that repeats the same note three times at 3:49, 3:50, and 3:51. It's really cool, and certainly something I've never noticed before. Is that what you're hearing?

Hey Pag, yeah I remember asking where you were and someone told me you were talking to a friend.

No big deal though, we'll probably be able to meet up this year. smile.gif

And actually that isn't what I'm referring to, I made a mistake...

The sounds I'm hearing don't start till 3:53, and it stops @ about 4:14.

You can hear it kind of bounce around...

I definitely think it's a piano, or a piano from a synth...

Edit: The piano appears precisely @ 3:53 in the left channel.

Sounds like it has a small delay on it too.

And it goes on till 4:14 or so...

Edited by Rush!

Here's something from Caravan that I found really kick-ass! It shows me a return to the playful but precise playing style they are so well known for.

There is this 6 note lead-in approaching the first two 'chorus' sections with "I Can't Stop Thinking Big".

The first is from 1:31 to 1:33 and steps UP - ending with Geddy

The second is from 2:49 to 2:51 and steps DOWN - ending with Neil

It f*ckin' ROCKS! 1022.gif

I LOVE THIS SONG!!

1022.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 1022.gif