Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 28 2009, 12:33 AM)
There's a synth sound in Heresy which I absolutely love. It's happens first at 4:32 into the song, right after Neil's tom fill. Ged says, "All those wasted years...", and as he's saying "years", you can hear this synth with a staccato note that sounds lovely. It happens again at 4:41, 4:45, 4:54, 5:02, and 5:10. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is excellent. What I heard on each of these was Alex's guitar. I'm not a musician and the way I describe music is laughable, sorry. But Alex seems to repeat this three-note piece at each of these times, which I found to be awesome.

However, during TWO of these times I noticed something very distinct with the synth. This uplifting sound which I've never noticed before. Listen again only at 4:41 and 4:54. The synth is there only during these times, and it's very, VERY cool.

Nice find, SDT. This is exactly what this thread is all about. Picking out the finest details. LOVE IT. trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've always like the "whooshing" sound at the beginning, right before the opening bass notes, on "Distant Early Warning".

Every single note/chord/drum/cymbal/sound in the S&A Live version of Digital Man.... except the outro (After the last chorus on). Were it not for that outro... it'd be a perfect song.

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 30 2009, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 28 2009, 12:33 AM)
There's a synth sound in Heresy which I absolutely love. It's happens first at 4:32 into the song, right after Neil's tom fill. Ged says, "All those wasted years...", and as he's saying "years", you can hear this synth with a staccato note that sounds lovely. It happens again at 4:41, 4:45, 4:54, 5:02, and 5:10. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is excellent. What I heard on each of these was Alex's guitar. I'm not a musician and the way I describe music is laughable, sorry. But Alex seems to repeat this three-note piece at each of these times, which I found to be awesome.

However, during TWO of these times I noticed something very distinct with the synth. This uplifting sound which I've never noticed before. Listen again only at 4:41 and 4:54. The synth is there only during these times, and it's very, VERY cool.

Nice find, SDT. This is exactly what this thread is all about. Picking out the finest details. LOVE IT. trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hey, that wasn't what I was talking about exactly, but I hear what you're talking about, and that is cool, also! cool.gif Different pairs of ears/minds will catch different sounds, I suppose. That sounds real nice, though. smile.gif

The one I was referring to is a synth, or at least I think it's a synth. It could be a percussion sound, a synth drum maybe? It almost sounds like a steel drum. It's most prominent at 4:45.

Listen here:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Icons/winamp.gif Heresy Synth(?)

QUOTE (Jp93 @ Nov 30 2009, 05:53 PM)
Every single note/chord/drum/cymbal/sound in the S&A Live version of Digital Man.... except the outro (After the last chorus on). Were it not for that outro... it'd be a perfect song.

1) you've completely missed the purposed of this thread.

2) the outro... kicks ass.

yes.gif

I think a review is in order. See my next post. biggrin.gif

The purpose of this thread is to point out very specific sounds, effects, notes, or other cool events within the songs. These are things that would normally escape the casual ear, and even get by many intense listens. There are a gold mine of sounds that most of us never knew were there.

This thread is not about favorite songs, favorite solos, cool sections, or even favorite drum fills, etc. That's way too high level. Let's really get down to the nitty gritty and dig deep.

How to really get a lot of use from this thread would be to sit with your headphones on with your Rush catalog close at hand so you can easily get to these exact moments that are listed. Read through the posts, and play it over your headphones so you can hear what we're talking about. It's so freakin' cool to hear these sounds in the songs that for years never made themselves apparent.

If you know of any... this is the place to let us know. List the exact time by minute and second.

Thanks!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (jnoble @ Nov 29 2009, 08:09 PM)
On The Twilight Zone, you can hear a weird sound in the background like a mic stand fell over or something immediatly after the first time Geddy sings the words 'come explore your dreams creation'

Oh, yes, I know what you mean. The sound happens at 1:08 into the song. I don't know for sure what it is -- I've always thought it was Alex playing muted strings or something of that nature.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 30 2009, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Nov 29 2009, 08:09 PM)
On The Twilight Zone, you can hear a weird sound in the background like a mic stand fell over or something immediatly after the first time Geddy sings the words 'come explore your dreams creation'

Oh, yes, I know what you mean. The sound happens at 1:08 into the song. I don't know for sure what it is -- I've always thought it was Alex playing muted strings or something of that nature.

Very cool! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (JARG @ May 8 2006, 01:25 PM)
I like the sound of Neil closing his hi-hat at the very end of Passage To Bangkok...it's the last thing you hear during the fade-out...nice quiet little "snap".

HOLY SHIT! I FINALLY HEARD IT!

Nice find 1022.gif trink39.gif

I understand, the post was kind of sarcastic in nature. My apologies I should have still included a correct response.

I'll second the little bleeps in that second verse of Dreamline, really cool.

I love the cowbell in the Witch Hunt intro, it fits perfectly with the mood and tone of the song.

Also, I love the wind sounds used in Xanadu. Really helps you put pictures in your head.

Two of my favorite Rush moments are from HYf. I love the little five-note keyboard diddy Geddy does in Turn The Page at 3:07 right after the first section of Alex's solo. Then there's the ululating fade-out effect they did with Geddy's voice at the very end of Prime Mover: "Anything caaaaa...." Gives me chills every time.

wow, cool thread. plan on checking it out more later, but one that comes to mind for me is Alex's fingers squeeking on the strings in Cygnus. I believe it's right before our hero gets sucked into the black hole smile.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Dec 1 2009, 02:33 AM)
wow, cool thread. plan on checking it out more later, but one that comes to mind for me is Alex's fingers squeeking on the strings in Cygnus. I believe it's right before our hero gets sucked into the black hole smile.gif

begins at 7:24 in Cygnus X-1 smile.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Dec 1 2009, 11:14 PM)

Heard it! music.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 2 2009, 05:52 PM)

Heard it! music.gif

Nice! cool.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 4 2009, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 2 2009, 05:52 PM)

Heard it! music.gif

Nice! cool.gif

Wait!

I let the song play through and my ears picked up another one! Check out the major mouse squeak at 9:43! laugh.gif

closer to the heart.. as the very first word in the song is spoken, you can hear a *ding!* from Peart. he just had to get his 2 cents in there laugh.gif

-whumm whumm sound during the space noise in 2112, also the aaaaaahhhhh that starts at 1:45.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 5 2005, 06:04 PM)
At the end of Half The World, the very end, I can hear what sounds like a farting noise.
music.gif half the world pinches, the other half lets it gooooooo
Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Nov 30 2009, 09:50 PM)
Two of my favorite Rush moments are from HYf. I love the little five-note keyboard diddy Geddy does in Turn The Page at 3:07 right after the first section of Alex's solo. Then there's the ululating fade-out effect they did with Geddy's voice at the very end of Prime Mover: "Anything caaaaa...." Gives me chills every time.

That reminds me.

In Grand Designs, when Geddy hold's "degrees" you can hear it throughout the whole 1st verse. Then it stops before it goes to the 2nd.

Just listen for the "eeeeeeeeeeee".

cool.gif Power Windows kicks ass! cool.gif