Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jan 23 2008, 03:21 PM)
The verse in 'Prime Mover' where Ged says alter our preception  ... lenses polarize and the sound is split into left and right channels on 'polarize'  Always great cranked up on the Bose headphones.  yes.gif

Oh yes! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cool.gif

These are the kind of post that make me smile and be glad I am a Rush fan. Now to contribute. Many to say, so little come to mind.

YYZ, the wip

Turn The Page on ASOH, The synth sound that sounds like suction, you know, like on the video Geddy does a hand motion

Any time there is a bass pedal part

Middletown Dreams, the bass lick at the end

La Villa Strangiato, the guitar harmonic now that someone pointed it out

The Spirit of Radio, the piano slide at the end. By the way, has anyone noticed that the slide is qued a measure late everytime they play it live?

More to come...

Well, it's not really a single sound, but I like how there's that backwards guitar playing (I think it's guitar) during the regular guitar solo of Mystic Rhythms.

I never noticed the scat at the end of Red Lenses, now I'm going to have to listen to GUP again, so.. thank you lol.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Jan 23 2008, 05:20 PM)
These are the kind of post that make me smile and be glad I am a Rush fan. Now to contribute. Many to say, so little come to mind.
YYZ, the wip

Turn The Page on ASOH, The synth sound that sounds like suction, you know, like on the video Geddy does a hand motion

Any time there is a bass pedal part

Middletown Dreams, the bass lick at the end

La Villa Strangiato, the guitar harmonic now that someone pointed it out

The Spirit of Radio, the piano slide at the end. By the way, has anyone noticed that the slide is qued a measure late everytime they play it live?

More to come...

I read somewhere that the "whip" sound on YYZ is actually a 2X4 being broken

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 18 2008, 06:23 PM)
I read somewhere that the "whip" sound on YYZ is actually a 2X4 being  broken

As I recall, when asked how one plays plywood, Neil responded with something like:

"You smack it down on a stool -hard!" confused13.gif

The keyboard/guitar solo part of YYZ, at around 2.50. I like to call it an Epic moment.

And at the very end fade out of Digital Man, it sounds like Geddy is telling us a little more about the digital man.

"he plays fast forward just as long as he can,

he doesn't...need a bed, cause he happens to be...a digital man..." funny stuff.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 18 2008, 09:02 PM)
I guess this isn't really a "sound", but I was just listening to "Working Man/Drum Solo" from the "First Time" bootleg and around 5:30, its hard to hear, but it sounds like they go into an instrumental part of By-Tor, has anyone else heard this?

I have heard this....it is there.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Feb 19 2008, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 18 2008, 09:02 PM)
I guess this isn't really a "sound", but I was just listening to "Working Man/Drum Solo" from the "First Time" bootleg and around 5:30, its hard to hear, but it sounds like they go into an instrumental part of By-Tor, has anyone else heard this?

I have heard this....it is there.

pretty weird, I wonder if they had written By-tor yet, or when they wrote By-tor, they were just like "yea, lets throw that in there"

These line from the Camera Eye

"Green and grey washes

In a wispy white veil

Mist in the streets of Westminster

Wistful and weathered

The pride still prevails

Alive in the streets of the city"

Just the alliteration and imagery this song and these lines uses is great. And the guitar solo, how it sounds so synthy, and yet still so alive. I always kind of consider that a guitar & bass solo in that section. Geddy's walking, off-beat part toward the middle of it still always makes me smile. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Neil's series of fills at the end of Lock and Key are sick. I've been playing drums for going on 5 years, and I hope to be able to play those someday.

1022.gif

Sheesh, I can't believe the last post in this thread was back in February of 2008. That's just wrong.

Okay, so I was listening to Anthem and during the final stop-time part of the song where Neil does some awesome quad roll fills, check out Geddy's base at 4:10. That note he hits just kicks ass. cool.gif 1022.gif

And for those who may not have seen this thread before, if you can spare the time check it out. There is some killer shit in here. yes.gif

There's a synth sound in Heresy which I absolutely love. It's happens first at 4:32 into the song, right after Neil's tom fill. Ged says, "All those wasted years...", and as he's saying "years", you can hear this synth with a staccato note that sounds lovely. It happens again at 4:41, 4:45, 4:54, 5:02, and 5:10. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I really like the piano playing in the background towards the end of Spirit of Radio.

I'm not sure what you'd call it, but Geddy does some sort of cross between humming and moaning in Earthshine that I've always liked.

Explosion at the end of 2112 Overture.

The synths in Turn the Page during the chorus.

Here's one worth a mention, because it's so cool.

One Little Victory (Remix ONLY)

At the tail end of the music intro, between 0.52 and 0.55 seconds is this cool guitar effect they pan back and forth from left to right. Very nice. Check it out. 1022.gif

Turn the Page has lots of those moments for me.

Alex's guitar response when Geddy sings "truth is after all so poorly lit." The visual I get is of someone covering their gaping mouth in disbelief.

Alex's pinched harmonics during his excellent solo.

The whole crazy energy during the final chorus repeats. Geddy's vocal lines running over each other, the drum buildup, the synth washes, the final crash-ahhh...

The haunting background sounds in the intro and first verses of Cygnus, Bringer of Balance...

Alex's solo in Cold Fire (2:34-2:54). Almost sounds like the self-mutterings after an argument wacko.gif

Okay, if you find yourself listening to Tai Shan, crank up the volume at the end fade-out. Alex is doing that "Oriental" lick over a B chord and an F# chord, which sounds pretty good (and theoretically consonant). In the dying seconds of the song, they go to a E chord. Normally, Alex would play that high lick (starting on the E), but instead he keeps playing the same phrasing over the E chord. Theoretically correct? Yes. But it adds a new flavour that sounds really nice.

Take a listen for yourself (courtesy of MitA):

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Icons/winamp.gif Tai loose ends

Sounds great! biggrin.gif