Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Pleasant Faced Man @ Nov 12 2007, 03:56 PM)
Lessons Hi Hat at 1:57

Sublime cool.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 12 2007, 04:29 PM)
Has anyone else heard (what I can best describe as) the 'creeky door sound' in the background of The Main Monkey Business? It's very subtle, and i've only noticed it in a certain state of (what I can best describe as) heightened musical awareness. It appears a few times throughout the song.

Ken, are you talking about the Guiro that's used? It's been discussed here a few times. Check out 1:40 and again at 4:39 and let me know.

http://www.percussionsource.com/advancedSe...earchLocation=1

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Nov 12 2007, 09:49 AM)
In Anthem there's a really nice melodic guitar counter-melody behind Geddy's voice at 1:01 and again at 1:57 that really contrasts with the roughness of the rest of the song - always catches my ear! It's almost sweet...

(Edited because it would be nice to actually include the name of the SONG in the post! sorry, it's early...)

Man... I threw on FBN to check out this Anthem reference. I wound up letting the entire album play from beginning to end, and WOW did this take me back big time. trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 12 2007, 10:24 PM)

Man... I threw on FBN to check out this Anthem reference. I wound up letting the entire album play from beginning to end, and WOW did this take me back big time. trink39.gif

Glad to help!

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Nov 14 2007, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 12 2007, 10:24 PM)

Man... I threw on FBN to check out this Anthem reference.  I wound up letting the entire album play from beginning to end, and WOW did this take me back big timetrink39.gif

Glad to help!

Yes you actually inspired an entire thread! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sorry, I just noticed, but not only does GeddysMullet have the coolest display name ever, but she also has quite possibly the most spectacularly awesome picture in her signature.

applaudit.gif

You are officially on my hero list.

QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 01:08 AM)
Sorry, I just noticed, but not only does GeddysMullet have the coolest display name ever, but she also has quite possibly the most spectacularly awesome picture in her signature.

applaudit.gif

*bows*

Why, thank you! Thank you very much!

My name is courtesy of my own bizarre sense of humour. My sig pic is courtesy of the very talented nimagraven and the bizarre senses of humour of a bunch of lovely Rush ladies. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 15 2007, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 01:08 AM)

applaudit.gif

*bows*

Why, thank you! Thank you very much!

My name is courtesy of my own bizarre sense of humour. My sig pic is courtesy of the very talented nimagraven and the bizarre senses of humour of a bunch of lovely Rush ladies. biggrin.gif

You earned it!

notworthy.gif

QUOTE (Pleasant Faced Man @ Nov 14 2007, 05:01 PM)
I swear Alex makes his guitar SAY "Overture" at the start of the solo in Overture between 3:05 and 3:09
biggrin.gif

Oooh - it almost does! Cool! Never noticed that before...

There are so many brilliant Alex moments, his musical "comments" that accent a lyrical phrase here, evoke a visual scene there...

Middletown Dreams

"like a brilliant shooting star" 1:58

"some bright afternoon" 2:25

The Trees

(timber! falling trees) 3:43

La Villa Strangiato

(frantically running down hallways from monsters) 5:49 onward

Hand Over Fist

"you know I've hated that song for so long" 1:41

Available Light

"the way I used to be" 1:52

"some half-forgotten stranger, doesn't mean that much to me" 2:00

"or make the colors shine too bright" 2:15 (guitar slide)

Cold Fire

"you know how complex women are" 0:51

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Nov 19 2007, 01:11 AM)
There are so many brilliant Alex moments, his musical "comments" that accent a lyrical phrase here, evoke a visual scene there...

Middletown Dreams
"like a brilliant shooting star" 1:58
"some bright afternoon" 2:25

The Trees
(timber! falling trees) 3:43

La Villa Strangiato
(frantically running down hallways from monsters) 5:49 onward

Hand Over Fist
"you know I've hated that song for so long" 1:41

Available Light
"the way I used to be" 1:52
"some half-forgotten stranger, doesn't mean that much to me" 2:00
"or make the colors shine too bright" 2:15 (guitar slide)

Cold Fire
"you know how complex women are" 0:51

ok before I post again - I had to quote this one... it's awesome!

On each written example I can hear Alex in my head during these moments.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ok here's one I've been meaning to posts for the longest time, but never bothered to.

Armor and Sword - 2:17

Check out the haunting echo they put on Geddy's voice as he ends the line, "A way to take us out of ourselves."

It's subtle, but awesome.

WOW here's another Armor and Sword one. I had my headphones on iTunes to get the time for the previous post - and just let the song play through.

At the very end of the song - after the final note has been played and it's fading out, LISTEN CLOSELY!

It sounds like you can hear Neil's sticks clicking against the drum rim or something. Shortly after that you can hear the snares as though he had touched something when he probably shouldn't have yet. The mics picked it up.

Check it out, what do you think it is??

The synth drum Neil plays on an offbeat during the beginning of Emotion Detector. I wish they'd do some new songs with a bit more synth drums to them (like for a lot of PoW and GUP) but I know it won't happen.

I'm sure someone mentioned this already (maybe even me!), but at the end of Red Lenses when Ged "scats" with the bassline he is playing.

One of my alltime favorite songs...

2.gif