Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (DigitalMan75 @ Sep 29 2007, 07:33 PM)
Hey all! First of all, I just registered myself here, and I'm very excited to post my first message on this forum and on any Rush forum ever.

OK, now, some of the sounds I love...

2112 Grand Finale - There're some incredible guitars over the rhythm at the beginning, they sound like feedback or harmonics, can anyone tell? They sound like ghosts flying, love them!

Best I can. Before and after the guitar solo, Alex makes some slide thing, I don't know if its a slide or a pick, but I love it.

Different strings. The bass harmonics (it's bass, isn't it?), and the sound of the hi-hat and the ghostly lead guitar before the "What happened to our innocence..."

What a great topic! I have a lot to post on this...

Hey cool!! Let me be the first to welcome you to TRF!! trink39.gif Thanks for taking interest in the board - and in this thread. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Lots of good stuff around these virtual halls.

Great stuff you listed in your post. Thanks!! 653.gif

Omg awesome thread common001.gif

There are so many moments for me, I'm so glad there are the same for so many others. Believe me when I say I will go over each and every response in this thread and sonically locate that sexy moment that does it.

I have so many, I cannot even begin. Off the top of my head, here are a few for starters:

Territories: the pinched harmonics in Alex's main riff

Turn the Page: not exactly sure, but where the lyrics say truth is so poorly lit, and Alex does a tremolo drop that just say "ummm" as in a disorienting "omg I can't believe he said that"...

Dreamline: Once I was pretty stoned with this really hot chick into NIN present, and Dreamline was playing.... the stereo backward masking sounds and multi-layered tracks were climactic...

Turn the Page: didn't I already mention this one? So many "moments" here.

The Trees: live and studio version, the part where Alex plays the musical part to trees being chopped down....duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn ohmy.gif

So many more here, but I'll stop for now. Again, awesome thread. I think this is a key area that many of us Rush fanatics get off on.

Edited by psionic11

Thread resurrected!!!

I just noticed this little nuance the other day...

A nice little tamborine rhythm can be heard in the second half of each verse during Cold Fire.

Damn, it took 14 years for me to hear that!

QUOTE (drumstruck @ Nov 7 2007, 03:18 PM)
Thread resurrected!!!

I just noticed this little nuance the other day...
A nice little tamborine rhythm can be heard in the second half of each verse during Cold Fire.
Damn, it took 14 years for me to hear that!

Awesome!! Thanks for posting that. I know that sound well. It's always been an added touch that made me love the song that much more.

Great addition, here. Thanks!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (msrushfreak @ Nov 7 2007, 03:46 PM)
There is a sound in The Main Monkey Business that souds like a washboard or some other percussion type thing. To me it sounds like a wine bottle being un-corked. Considering Geddy's fondness for wine I think it might be. Anyone know what I'm talking aboot?

Yes I know exactly what you mean. There's also a Sounds/Songs thread strictly for S&A which I should finally merge with this one - I have go search it out.

<<jump to a few minutes later>>

Hey I searched out that S&A Sounds/Songs thread, and you're in it talking about this same thing already! laugh.gif

It seems that instrument being used is a guiro.

http://www.percussionsource.com/advancedSe...earchLocation=1

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The whispered voices and noises in the background in Alien Shore around 3:40 on...

Geddy's voice overdubbed with his own whispering voice in the verses of We Hold On.... must have been the producer's idea, gives the quality a nice change.

Another vocal thing in Natural Science... the "up" slide on the second syllable of "complete" in "each microcosmic planet, a complete society".

The fwwweeeeeeEEEEEEEEWWWWW!!! sound right before the guitar lead kicks in on Anthem!

The drum break in Natural Science towards the end of Hyperspace that sounds oddly as though Neil just got overexcited at some point and played something spontaneous and crazy and they fit it into the song.

Indeed, the genius is in the details! yes.gif Where has this thread been all my life? I'll be back...

2.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 28 2004, 10:35 AM)
In "The Enemy Within" when the song slows down:

"To you, is it movement or is it action?
Is it contact or just reaction?..."

And then the rythm kicks back in and Geddy sings the chorus this time, but every other line:

"I'm not giving in ...
"I'm not missing out..."

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

So awesome! 2.gif

Big Money: At 1:01, when Alex does (I believe) that pick slide (not sure of the terminology) for it. I love that!!

Cold Fire: At "This is not a love song/This isn't fantasyland" when Alex plays that riff ... so cool, so symbolic, too!!!

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 2 2004, 07:38 PM)
I may have missed this, but there's the keyboard section in YYZ that really paints the picture of an airliner rising into the sky. At least it does in my mind.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Mine too!

I'd love to cut a montage of airplanes taking off and landing to YYZ.

Geddy's bass guitar in just about everything?

But some melodies are absolutely amazing. Let's see...

When Geddy sings "Filters on our eyes" with the overdub, from Prime Mover. Or when he goes "I can wait until the time comes around" on the second verse of Time Stand Still. It sounds great there. That's what I think of now.

QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Sep 28 2007, 08:20 PM)
MalNar - the bass slide at the very end of the song

yes.gif

Also, in Armor and Sword at 3:59, the spine-tingling unison downward slide on bass and toms...

L

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Nov 8 2007, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Sep 28 2007, 08:20 PM)
MalNar - the bass slide at the very end of the song

yes.gif

Also, in Armor and Sword at 3:59, the spine-tingling unison downward slide on bass and toms...

L

Nice! cool.gif

YYZ (Live) from the Different Stages release.

Listen at 3:06 to Alex's lead. He does this slide/scrape on the strings that's just killer (forgive my horrible description). He doesn't hit it like that on any other version of the song I've heard elsewhere.

turn up the volume before show dont tell.... theres some really cool beat goin on, but be careful because when the song kicks in its loud! lol...

also the 'screaming' guitar at the end of spindrift. thats amazing. in force ten, at 3:30 i love the way neil splashes them cymbals into the slow bit...

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 9 2007, 02:25 PM)
The way Geddy pronounces "smile" in In The End makes me happy. Okay, that's dorky, but there it is.

Not dorky! I like how he pronounces "child" in Armor and Sword - same kind of nice. Geddy's enunciation is always so crisp - I think it must be his Canadian accent. Certainly no other rock singer is as clear, you can almost always understand him (as opposed to, say anything by Robert Plant).

L