I met Geddy Lee... coollest personality ever

drnnrocks

25 members have voted

1. 1. I met Geddy Lee... coollest personality ever

• I'm happy to find this site, rush have been a bright cultural light on my life, I once met Geddy Lee and he was the coolest person ever, he showed a sharp interest on the culture of the country I came from and a lot of people were waiting on a line for one single autograph allowed, he spent 10 minutes talking to me and autographed three albums for me, I asked him the reasons why they've never been to Brazil "at that time" and he said it was because of the cust and time of the long trip, it was enough for two three concerts in the USA and so it wouldn't depend only on the Rush band but the production. I said you should never end your career without touring in Brazil for people love your music in that country on a very special way, that was amazing when I saw the dvd on sale at the virgin megastore in NY, one of the greatest rock concerts ever, he probably could not remember our conversation but it's great to feel my feeling was right ... if you ever meet Geddy tell him I love him even more
    • David Nolasco

I'm happy to find this site, rush have been a bright cultural light on my life, I once met Geddy Lee and he was the coolest person ever, he showed a sharp interest on the culture of the country I came from and a lot of people were waiting on a line for one single autograph allowed, he spent 10 minutes talking to me and autographed three albums for me, I asked him the reasons why they've never been to Brazil "at that time" and he said it was because of the cust and time of the long trip, it was enough for two three concerts in the USA and so it wouldn't depend only on the Rush band but the production. I said you should never end your career without touring in Brazil for people love your music in that country on a very special way, that was amazing when I saw the dvd on sale at the virgin megastore in NY, one of the greatest rock concerts ever, he probably could not remember our conversation but it's great to feel my feeling was right ... if you ever meet Geddy tell him I love him even more

David Nolasco

• Like 2

Welcome to the thread David, that is a very interesting story about meeting Geddy. That just shows the calibur of person he is, to take the time to converse with many interesting people without flaunting his success among other people.

Just one note though, dont make a poll thread laugh.gif

http://www.rushweb.net/images/geddybreakfast/draco-geddy-julie.jpg

Breakfast with Geddy Lee - November 28, 2000

Story as told by T4E 2112 (the smarter one of this family!)

~~~Where do I begin? At the start? To begin with, Silicon Valley traffic is hell, so we got to the radio station LATE! We were totally wigging out. I told Ken to just accept the fact that we are going to miss it, and that is the end of that.But the Ged's were on our side. KSJO gave us a map to the Hotel De Anza, located in downtown San Jose. We got there about 6:45.

~~~We had our breakfast buffet in a very elegant fireside sitting room, which is a private room with huge comphy chairs and couches. People could pick where they wanted to sit, so Ken and I plopped on down on the comphy couch which looked towards the interview table. The interview area was tucked in a corner, and just about everyone sat in chairs close to the interview table so they could see Geddy unobstructed. We liked our couch, as it had an empty couch facing it, with the interview area directly behind it. We put our food on the coffee table, and nestled in. No one sat on the couch which we were facing, since it didn't face the interview. When Lamont and Tonelli from KSJO-FM arrived, they decided to bring the interview out into the room. Then what occurs? You got it!!! Geddy sat on the couch directly in front of us. I almost died. He was an arms length away for two hours.

~~~The interview went wonderfully. Sitting where we were, between commercial breaks and musical interludes, Ken and I were able to talk to Geddy about all kinds of things. Ken talked about baseball with Geddy, and boy did his face light up during that conversation. You could tell he was taken aback that someone was interested in NON-Rush aspects of his personality. It was impressive how much Geddy knew about the history of baseball. Not only knowing great teams, and the decades they played in, but the nicknames for those teams as well. I asked him how he was enjoying this promotional tour, and he said that he liked meeting folks at the in store signings, but was starting to feel a bit worn out with the back to back radio interviews. We talked about how kids can be a tad demanding (!!!!!) As the morning progressed, folks gravitated towards the couch area. We all sat about, just asking Geddy questions, with him asking questions back. He talked ALOT about Canada being COLD!!!!! It really was a very relaxed conversation, like having a buddy just hanging out, shooting the shit about daily life.

~~~Prime snippets from Geddy (paraphrasing, of course....)

"With Rush, it's not sex, drugs, and rock and roll, it's books, drugs, and rock and roll."

When we go back in the studio, we would like to go back to a live recording format, rather than recording each individual member."

"Matt Cameron is very interested in touring to promote MFH, going to small venues."

"I like the website, and we will keep it running for at least a year, as long as it holds interest."

"I played the clarinet for about two weeks, then I took up the snare drum, and then they stuck me in choir. I felt very comfortable there."Alex and I were the garage band in junior high. We weren't very good. Had no groupies hanging around outside. Some things never change."

"Neil is one of the most incredible drummers I have ever worked with. Matt Cameron is no slouch but Neil is sort of like a rapid fire machine."

"Neil did the drum takes for Test For Echo in 5 or 6 days."

"Rush plans to meet in late January, into February, and depending on how that goes, will be doing an album. And depending on how that goes, we'll do a tour."

~~~Geddy was on-air for about an hour and a half, and afterwards, he signed memento's for folks and did a photo shoot with everyone. What a wonderful day!!!

QUOTE (Draconator @ Nov 26 2004, 07:33 PM)

Wow, thats incredible, thats almost unheard of to get an entire cd lenght worth of tracks in such a short period of time. Thats a great story about meeting Geddy too, you guys got very lucky. Too bad there is no more KSJO to hold those kind of things mad.gif

QUOTE (Draconator @ Nov 26 2004, 10:33 PM)

~~~Where do I begin? At the start? To begin with, Silicon Valley traffic is hell, so we got to the radio station LATE! We were totally wigging out. I told Ken to just accept the fact that we are going to miss it, and that is the end of that.But the Ged's were on our side. KSJO gave us a map to the Hotel De Anza, located in downtown San Jose. We got there about 6:45.

~~~We had our breakfast buffet in a very elegant fireside sitting room, which is a private room with huge comphy chairs and couches. People could pick where they wanted to sit, so Ken and I plopped on down on the comphy couch which looked towards the interview table. The interview area was tucked in a corner, and just about everyone sat in chairs close to the interview table so they could see Geddy unobstructed. We liked our couch, as it had an empty couch facing it, with the interview area directly behind it. We put our food on the coffee table, and nestled in. No one sat on the couch which we were facing, since it didn't face the interview. When Lamont and Tonelli from KSJO-FM arrived, they decided to bring the interview out into the room. Then what occurs? You got it!!! Geddy sat on the couch directly in front of us. I almost died. He was an arms length away for two hours.

~~~The interview went wonderfully. Sitting where we were, between commercial breaks and musical interludes, Ken and I were able to talk to Geddy about all kinds of things. Ken talked about baseball with Geddy, and boy did his face light up during that conversation. You could tell he was taken aback that someone was interested in NON-Rush aspects of his personality. It was impressive how much Geddy knew about the history of baseball. Not only knowing great teams, and the decades they played in, but the nicknames for those teams as well. I asked him how he was enjoying this promotional tour, and he said that he liked meeting folks at the in store signings, but was starting to feel a bit worn out with the back to back radio interviews. We talked about how kids can be a tad demanding (!!!!!) As the morning progressed, folks gravitated towards the couch area. We all sat about, just asking Geddy questions, with him asking questions back. He talked ALOT about Canada being COLD!!!!! It really was a very relaxed conversation, like having a buddy just hanging out, shooting the shit about daily life.

"With Rush, it's not sex, drugs, and rock and roll, it's books, drugs, and rock and roll."
When we go back in the studio, we would like to go back to a live recording format, rather than recording each individual member."
"Matt Cameron is very interested in touring to promote MFH, going to small venues."
"I like the website, and we will keep it running for at least a year, as long as it holds interest."
"I played the clarinet for about two weeks, then I took up the snare drum, and then they stuck me in choir. I felt very comfortable there."Alex and I were the garage band in junior high. We weren't very good. Had no groupies hanging around outside. Some things never change."
"Neil is one of the most incredible drummers I have ever worked with. Matt Cameron is no slouch but Neil is sort of like a rapid fire machine."
"Rush plans to meet in late January, into February, and depending on how that goes, will be doing an album. And depending on how that goes, we'll do a tour."

~~~Geddy was on-air for about an hour and a half, and afterwards, he signed memento's for folks and did a photo shoot with everyone. What a wonderful day!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2004, 07:42 PM)
Too bad there is no more KSJO to hold those kind of things mad.gif

IMHO, KSJO was dead a year ago. And when Mikey left and they put in Bob and Tom, well, that was the final nail in the coffin. Interestingly enough, ever since KSJO went to an all Latino format, I haven't listened to anything FM, except for maybe 10 minutes? Mostly KGO, or KHTK out of Sac.

Great stuff folks!!! and welcome to the board. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 26 2004, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (Draconator @ Nov 26 2004, 10:33 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

So awesome! Can you see the envy flowing from my pores? I'd give my right arm to meet the man, hell any of them for that matter laugh.gif

Lol, which two voted for

"I'm happy to find this site, rush have been a bright cultural light on my life, I once met Geddy Lee and he was the coolest person ever, he showed a sharp interest on the culture of the country I came from and a lot of people were waiting on a line for one single autograph allowed, he spent 10 minutes talking to me and autographed three albums for me, I asked him the reasons why they've never been to Brazil "at that time" and he said it was because of the cust and time of the long trip, it was enough for two three concerts in the USA and so it wouldn't depend only on the Rush band but the production. I said you should never end your career without touring in Brazil for people love your music in that country on a very special way, that was amazing when I saw the dvd on sale at the virgin megastore in NY, one of the greatest rock concerts ever, he probably could not remember our conversation but it's great to feel my feeling was right ... if you ever meet Geddy tell him I love him even more"

Edited by Moonraker

QUOTE (Draconator @ Nov 26 2004, 07:45 PM)

IMHO, KSJO was dead a year ago. And when Mikey left and they put in Bob and Tom, well, that was the final nail in the coffin. Interestingly enough, ever since KSJO went to an all Latino format, I haven't listened to anything FM, except for maybe 10 minutes? Mostly KGO, or KHTK out of Sac.

I always listened to more 107.7 then I did KSJO, but on occasion at work I would flip to it when I didnt wanna hear any more sterile classic rock to get some more of the 90's rock scene. I dont know how it was before, but now I dont even have that. I guess my next step is to begin building my collection to beef up its grunge and early 90's rock music.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2004, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (Draconator @ Nov 26 2004, 07:45 PM)

I always listened to more 107.7 then I did KSJO, but on occasion at work I would flip to it when I didnt wanna hear any more sterile classic rock to get some more of the 90's rock scene. I dont know how it was before, but now I dont even have that. I guess my next step is to begin building my collection to beef up its grunge and early 90's rock music.

I did hear Metallica on The Bone recently. I have never heard them before. After talking with the Program Director a few times before they did Rush, A to YYZ, I know that he's smart enough to add more to the playlist to keep the KSJO refugees happy. And The Bone is locally programmed, so there's really no corporate red-tape to deal with there.