New 'Hannibal Rising' trailer is up

Jack Aubrey

There's an old saying about there being (I think) four stages in the development of film and literary characters where the final step is parody. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, and could post that saying I'd sure appreciate it. Anyway, it looks to me like the 'parody' phase has been reached with this latest movie. Check it out and see if you agree. 'Hannibal Rising'. Anthony Hopkins does not appear in this movie, but he does show up to grab a che-, err, I mean provide narration.

I think "Hannibal" was the parody movie.

Hopkins nearly admitted as much when he explained his approach to the character in each movie. In "Silence," Hannibal was older, colder, and robotic. In "Red Dragon," he was younger and - since he hadn't been imprisoned very long - he still had a youthful energy. For "Hannibal"? Hopkins explained that he played Hannibal "over the top."

As for the new film, I can only say that I tried to read the book, but it bored me and I gave up. Being a fan of the series, I'll probably read it eventually... and see the flick, too.

I don't know why they have to give reasoning behind him being evil. It takes away from the scariness of his character. Edited by Signals1982