Thin Lizzy!

Riv

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 2 2012, 04:37 PM)
Brian Downey's drumming on Chinatown.

Thrilling stuff.

yep trink39.gif

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/CIMG2402.jpg

R.I.P. Phil

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 15 2012, 07:12 PM)
I've had Bad Reputation for years and I've only just discovered the nod to Rush in the liner notes.

Ahem.

laugh.gif I just had a look

Wow, I'd never spotted that either wacko.gif

Just finished a fantastic book on Philip, "Renegade of Thin Lizzy", by Alan Byrne. You get a real insight into Philip on tour, in the studio, at home (rarely) and socially. Buy it!

Listening to the first 3 Lizzy albums a lot of late. Eric Bell was an Irish Peter Green/Jimi hybrid. Pure class.

called

Just finished a fantastic book on Philip, "Renegade of Thin Lizzy", by Alan Byrne. You get a real insight into Philip on tour, in the studio, at home (rarely) and socially. Buy it!

Listening to the first 3 Lizzy albums a lot of late. Eric Bell was an Irish Peter Green/Jimi hybrid. Pure class.

called

I never even heard of this, is it new...

...I'm to Amazon.com.

Thanks!

called

Thanks again, just ordered it! Yea!!!

There is a new book coming out about them written by Harry Doherty with Scott Gorham

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thin-Lizzy-Boys-Back-Town/dp/1780384327/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8=1351110335=8-1

This is from Thin Lizzy's site...

This Thin Lizzy book has come through an awfully long gestation period! Back in 1977, Phil Lynott asked me to write the book and interviews were conducted in Toronto where I spent a month with the band while they recorded „Bad Reputation. After that, it was delayed as we tried to continuously update it during the subsequent albums, but Phil Lynott would never come clean with his increasing drug use. In fact, he looked me in the eye once: „Harry, I don‚t take drugs anymore‰.

But during the period, they continued to prove that they were one of the most potent rock bands in the world, growing from humble roots in Dublin with a few early albums that verged on folk-rock, and then recording the innovative, Vagabonds of the Western World, with its orchestral guitars, fine songs and arrangements, and, of course, Lynott‚s unique voice.

But it was after the band lost, first, Eric Bell, and briefly afterwards, Gary Moore, that they really came into their own, in what has been called The Golden Era of Thin Lizzy. With two new guitarists, Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson, they set upon an unprecedented set of albums and touring, culminating in what has been voted the Best Live Album of all time, Live and Dangerous.

Then, of course, the guitar curse struck again, Robertson out / Moore back in / Moore out / Robertson back in, until they settled on blues maestro Snowy White, who had cut his teeth with Pink Floyd. White quit after two albums when he grew tired of the drug use by Lynott and Gorham, leaving the door open for another young guitarist to enter. John Sykes was known primarily as a heavy metal player, and he brought that heaviness to one album, Thunder and Lightning.

But the end was nigh, and when it came, it really crashed down, tragically. When Phil died, I finished a first draft of the book, on the proviso that I would be able to tell the whole story, and if any one person from the band or their families objected, I wouldn‚t publish it. It was all very dark and too close to Phil‚s death. A few people flinched at the „warts and all‰ detail, including Scott Gorham and his wife, Christine, and the singer‚s mother, Philomena.

So at last we have the full story, the tale of a band that never knew when to stop and what to stop. This is Thin Lizzy, from beginning to end.

Harry Doherty

called

Thanks again, just ordered it! Yea!!!

There is a new book coming out about them written by Harry Doherty with Scott Gorham

http://www.amazon.co...=1351110335=8-1

This is from Thin Lizzy's site...

This Thin Lizzy book has come through an awfully long gestation period! Back in 1977, Phil Lynott asked me to write the book and interviews were conducted in Toronto where I spent a month with the band while they recorded „Bad Reputation. After that, it was delayed as we tried to continuously update it during the subsequent albums, but Phil Lynott would never come clean with his increasing drug use. In fact, he looked me in the eye once: „Harry, I don‚t take drugs anymore‰.

But during the period, they continued to prove that they were one of the most potent rock bands in the world, growing from humble roots in Dublin with a few early albums that verged on folk-rock, and then recording the innovative, Vagabonds of the Western World, with its orchestral guitars, fine songs and arrangements, and, of course, Lynott‚s unique voice.

But it was after the band lost, first, Eric Bell, and briefly afterwards, Gary Moore, that they really came into their own, in what has been called The Golden Era of Thin Lizzy. With two new guitarists, Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson, they set upon an unprecedented set of albums and touring, culminating in what has been voted the Best Live Album of all time, Live and Dangerous.

Then, of course, the guitar curse struck again, Robertson out / Moore back in / Moore out / Robertson back in, until they settled on blues maestro Snowy White, who had cut his teeth with Pink Floyd. White quit after two albums when he grew tired of the drug use by Lynott and Gorham, leaving the door open for another young guitarist to enter. John Sykes was known primarily as a heavy metal player, and he brought that heaviness to one album, Thunder and Lightning.

But the end was nigh, and when it came, it really crashed down, tragically. When Phil died, I finished a first draft of the book, on the proviso that I would be able to tell the whole story, and if any one person from the band or their families objected, I wouldn‚t publish it. It was all very dark and too close to Phil‚s death. A few people flinched at the „warts and all‰ detail, including Scott Gorham and his wife, Christine, and the singer‚s mother, Philomena.

So at last we have the full story, the tale of a band that never knew when to stop and what to stop. This is Thin Lizzy, from beginning to end.

Harry Doherty

Cool! I have Harry's book ordered. Could be the "warts 'n' all" book we've been waiting for. There's so much out there about Phil, but there's just as much out there regarding Scott, Gary & the 2 Brians, it just hasn't been fit to print....YET!

If you like the Phil book, email the author(his address is on the back page), he has a private printing of his book on Lizzy, he'll post it to you. I'm roughly half way through it, again very well researched and lots of stuff I had no idea of.

Great group - saw them live in 1978 on the Live and Dangerous tour.

Brian Downey was a very underrated drummer - listen to Bad Reputation.

yep me too,brilliant show and still one of the best live albums ever

Saw it last night. Interesting show!

Sad how incredibly gifted people destroy themselves, isn't it?

• Like 1

Yes, I saw this yesterday. It was quite good. Phil was very gifted and his loss was such a tragedy. Very sad. He was so charismatic and seems like he was a genuinely nice person. And, I always love watching a great bass player. :haz:
  • Like 1