Rocky Balboa

vital signz

Wow... "Copland"! If y'all don't think Stallone can act, check out that one, eh? He gained a lot of belly weight for the role, and his character was the "tragic figure" sort. Good movie, good role for Sly, good acting.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 26 2006, 10:56 AM)
Right on! With this latest resurgence of Rocky.....maybe another three or four movies are in the works. Hypothetically, there could be a total of 10 Rocky movies, heck it could even get up to Rocky XXII. Sly is going to ca$h in on this bigtime. I already can see a spike in Rocky memorabilia and merchandise sales, everything from t-shirts to video games to thermoses. There is definitely another Rocky craze coming our way.
I would even say the band Survivor will reform and put out a few hits.

Somehow I think that Sly actually LOVES the character he created and he made this movie to put that legacy back on track. He succeeded.

Rocky Balboa is a winner. yes.gif

I don't see Sly riding it into the ground and killing the legacy again. no.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 25 2006, 08:17 PM)
Just saw it. AWESOME is all i have to say. He picked up with the seriousness that the original had. It had some humor, but it also made a lump in my throat that was just huge. I think the people who think Stallone can't act don't know what they are talking about. He was really good in this one. yes.gif

i just saw it tonight and i thought it was very good, it had all the elements that made rocky (the first one) special. rocky returned to his humble roots, a caring lovable guy with a heart of gold. i do believe slys acting has gotten better as the years go by and his acting was great in this movie. i give it 2 boxing glove thumbs up. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Finally saw it and I have to say I can't remember a movie that moved me so quickly to tears ever.....within the first 5 minutes Stallone grabs you by the heartstrings and touches your soul with so many awesome memories and I just have to tell you all that the writing, directing and acting simply blew me away.... Stallone wore all three hats here.

I was exprcting something rather embarrassing for the series.....

I really can't believe it, but I would say that rating all of the movies it would go something like this:

Rocky---9.5/10

Rocky II---8.5/10

Rocky III---6.0/10

Rocky IV---7.0/10

Rocky V---4.0/10

Rocky Balboa 9.0/10....maybe more

If you are a Rocky fan at all run don't walk to the theater to see this...you will be sorry if you miss this while it is on the big screen.

The reviews (both from critics and TRF'ers) are encouraging, but still, I dunno...

Rocky 1 was great, Rocky 2 was good, 3 was ok.... by Rocky 4 I just wanted him to die. I still haven't gotten over Rocky burnout. No matter how good this is supposed to be, this one is definitely a renter, although knowing me, I probably won't even do that and will wait for it to show up on t.v. in a couple of years. We'll see, maybe I'll rent it.

I saw part of Rocky 2 the other day on ESPN classics, but it was after watching several real vintage heavyweight fights. Not the best time to watch a Rocky movie, the boxing really looked somewhat fake after seeing the real thing. I mean, it was passable fake, but it didn't look QUITE like the real thing either...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 12 2007, 05:50 PM)
The reviews (both from critics and TRF'ers) are encouraging, but still, I dunno...

Rocky 1 was great, Rocky 2 was good, 3 was ok.... by Rocky 4 I just wanted him to die. I still haven't gotten over Rocky burnout. No matter how good this is supposed to be, this one is definitely a renter, although knowing me, I probably won't even do that and will wait for it to show up on t.v. in a couple of years. We'll see, maybe I'll rent it.

I saw part of Rocky 2 the other day on ESPN classics, but it was after watching several real vintage heavyweight fights. Not the best time to watch a Rocky movie, the boxing really looked somewhat fake after seeing the real thing. I mean, it was passable fake, but it didn't look QUITE like the real thing either...

Yeah... i saw Star Wars the other day and after seeing REAL inter-galactic battles, it paled in comparison. And don't even get me going on how awful the special effects in LOTR are compared to REAL hairy footed midgets fighting demons is.

Do yourself a favor Goobs and just go see the movie. It's not drenched in silly bullshit, but you still may enjoy it. It's a heartwarming story, and the fight scenes were NEVER the whole of what Rocky was about.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 12 2007, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 12 2007, 05:50 PM)

Rocky 1 was great, Rocky 2 was good, 3 was ok.... by Rocky 4 I just wanted him to die.  I still haven't gotten over Rocky burnout.  No matter how good this is supposed to be, this one is definitely a renter, although knowing me, I probably won't even do that and will wait for it to show up on t.v. in a couple of years.  We'll see, maybe I'll rent it.

I saw part of Rocky 2 the other day on ESPN classics, but it was after watching several real vintage heavyweight fights.  Not the best time to watch a Rocky movie, the boxing really looked somewhat fake after seeing the real thing.  I mean, it was passable fake, but it didn't look QUITE like the real thing either...

Yeah... i saw Star Wars the other day and after seeing REAL inter-galactic battles, it paled in comparison. And don't even get me going on how awful the special effects in LOTR are compared to REAL hairy footed midgets fighting demons is.

Do yourself a favor Goobs and just go see the movie. It's not drenched in silly bullshit, but you still may enjoy it. It's a heartwarming story, and the fight scenes were NEVER the whole of what Rocky was about.

I see SO few movies these days at a theater, maybe one every month or two. I have to be REALLY excited about a movie if I'm gonna go see it in the theaters, and even though the positive reviews and word of mouth are encouraging and I'd probably enjoy it, no offense, but meh...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 12 2007, 06:18 PM)
the boxing really looked somewhat fake after seeing the real thing. I mean, it was passable fake, but it didn't look QUITE like the real thing either...

The boxing scenes in Rocky are a joke and always have been. For a start the way one guy wallops on the other guy for about 2 minutes straight then the other guy takes his turn, the ref would have stopped the fight long before the other guy had his chance to come back or he'd be knocked out after taking so many clean punches. Secondly the ridiculous gore would be a factor too, notice how suddenly the gore appears too, one minute they're perfectly unmarked then bam they're streaming blood over swollen shut orbs, like the seconds used a cheese grater and mallet on them between rounds instead of a towel and sponge. Thirdly they always load up on their punches, usually right hands like Saturday night drunks who can only use they're one favoured hand. Pro boxers who are talented enough to become world champoins never fight like that, even brawlers use two hands and throw combos. Also the noises the punches make are ludicrous, hilariously so. I know it's a show, but if they made that noise in reality those guys, Rocky, Creed and co would be down and out after just a couple of solid hits...

However this has never spoiled my enjoyment of the films themselves, you just accept the fight scenes as part of the Rocky ethos and enjoy the action and the rest of the show anyway...

i went to see rocky balboa last night. you guys really talked this film up and got me very excited to see it film based on your reviews.

i won't be making that mistake ever again. p.s. ghost rider looks like it's going to suck balls.

FINALLY!!!! Got to see this movie on Showtime - bit of a mothers day treat to sit on the sofa and just watch a movie. smile.gif

I was ALWAYS a HUGE Rocky fan! I LOVED this as well. If any of you have Showtime you must must see it.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/dpagano4/SmileyMegaphone.png PAGS

We can watch it again on, on demand...

QUOTE (owlswing @ May 11 2008, 08:21 PM)
FINALLY!!!! Got to see this movie on Showtime - bit of a mothers day treat to sit on the sofa and just watch a movie. smile.gif

I was ALWAYS a HUGE Rocky fan! I LOVED this as well. If any of you have Showtime you must must see it.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/dpagano4/SmileyMegaphone.png PAGS

We can watch it again on, on demand...

I saw its on On Demand, I may watch it tonight...

Fun fact:

I met Antonio Tarver and Bryon Russell(most famous for Jordan pushing off of and sinking a shot in the finals). They're actually related, and my uncle is good friends with a bunch of their family.

As for the movie, not bad, better than I had expected