A Charlie Brown Christmas

GhostGirl

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 28 2006, 11:47 AM)
I was just checking this show out (& the 'sequel', It's Christmas Again, Charlie Brown) online & noticed it's on ABC not CBS.

ABC

**not trying to step on your toes.  I just wouldn't want anyone to miss one of the best Christmas specials out there.**

blush4.gif

Yeah, I just edited my title for posterity. I figured out my mistake just in time, too. We barely caught the beginning! laugh.gif

I got mixed up because it ORIGINALLY aired on CBS, hence my confusion.

I hope I didn't cause anyone to miss it. Thorry about that. smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 28 2006, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 28 2006, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 28 2006, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 28 2006, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 28 2006, 09:54 AM)
Yes, many of us own this on video or DVD, but there's still something about watching on TV. biggrin.gif I have fond memories of waiting for all the Christmas specials to be shown on TV, and this one was my favorite. So, grab your kiddies and cuddle up to watch Charlie Brown tonight on CBS tonight.

http://media.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2006/nov/guaraldi/cdcover.jpg
I heard a great story on NPR this morning about Vince Guaraldi's fantastic soundtrack. You can read/hear it here: Behind Vince Guaraldi's Timeless Holiday Soundtrack

You know what the best part was... when you'd race to sit in front of the of TV in time to hear that CBS Special intro just before the show would start. I KNOW you know what I mean.

big drum thing and then

da da da da da

DAAA!

I know EXACTLY what you mean!

YES!!!

yes.gif yes.gif

Holy CRAP! I FOUND IT ON YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLPhhu7e0bE

Edit: I gotta tell you, sometimes I find sh-t like this and it makes me laugh my ass off out loud. I mean - I know the internet was invented to share interplanetary astronomical data, but holy crap if it isnt cool to find stuff like this - WUA HAHAHAAAAA!

OMG THAT'S IT!! rofl3.gif

I always hear the piano for Christmas Time Is Here in my head after that CBS thing plays.

Good find!! trink39.gif

Now - I bet I'll beat you at Gnip Gnop. HAHA

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 28 2006, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 28 2006, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 28 2006, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 28 2006, 10:29 AM)
Yes, many of us own this on video or DVD, but there's still something about watching on TV. biggrin.gif I have fond memories of waiting for all the Christmas specials to be shown on TV, and this one was my favorite. So, grab your kiddies and cuddle up to watch Charlie Brown tonight on CBS tonight.

http://media.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2006/nov/guaraldi/cdcover.jpg
I heard a great story on NPR this morning about Vince Guaraldi's fantastic soundtrack. You can read/hear it here: Behind Vince Guaraldi's Timeless Holiday Soundtrack

You know what the best part was... when you'd race to sit in front of the of TV in time to hear that CBS Special intro just before the show would start. I KNOW you know what I mean.

big drum thing and then

da da da da da

DAAA!

I know EXACTLY what you mean!

YES!!!

yes.gif yes.gif

Holy CRAP! I FOUND IT ON YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLPhhu7e0bE

Edit: I gotta tell you, sometimes I find sh-t like this and it makes me laugh my ass off out loud. I mean - I know the internet was invented to share interplanetary astronomical data, but holy crap if it isnt cool to find stuff like this - WUA HAHAHAAAAA!

I made the CBS thing into a MP3 file and slotted it in before Christmas Time... right where it should be. I keep hundreds of Christmas tunes as MP3s for this time of year - which makes for interesting selections during the Summer when you click the Play All button, but hey.

I'll have to post the MP3 as well other MP3s I've made from the various Christmas shows. haha

CORRECTION:

I said in an earlier post that the song that played while Linus and Charlie are looking for a tree was my favorite. Okay, I got confused!

The song I was referring to is actually played when they are catching snowflakes on their tongues at the beginning. I have a feeling it's "Skating". Vince gradually plays high notes that go down to lower notes on the piano.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 29 2006, 08:17 AM)
CORRECTION:

I said in an earlier post that the song that played while Linus and Charlie are looking for a tree was my favorite. Okay, I got confused!

The song I was referring to is actually played when they are catching snowflakes on their tongues at the beginning. I have a feeling it's "Skating". Vince gradually plays high notes that go down to lower notes on the piano.

Your description of the song DOES sound like "Skating," but "Skating" was used while Snoopy is... well, skating. I think it was also used in this way for the full-length movie "A Boy Named Charlie Brown"; when Linus, Snoopy, and Charlie Brown go to NYC for Chuck's spelling bee, Snoopy skates in Rockefeller Center.

Edited by GeddyRulz

..My dad made me watch it..

But I love watching it..

heart.gif

I love the little tree!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 29 2006, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 29 2006, 08:17 AM)
CORRECTION:

Your description of the song DOES sound like "Skating," but "Skating" was used while Snoopy is... well, skating. I think it was also used in this way for the full-length movie "A Boy Named Charlie Brown"; when Linus, Snoopy, and Charlie Brown go to NYC for Chuck's spelling bee, Snoopy skates in Rockefeller Center.

yes.gif Several songs from Vince Guaraldi 1963 soundtrack "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" (Linus and Lucy) appeared on the 1965 Christmas special. I still have original "A Charlie Brown Christmas" 1965 hardcover book given to me by ol Saint Nick when I was around the Peanut kids age! smile.gif

It's funny reading about the making of this classic Bill Melendez the animator who brought the Peanuts characters to life when seeing the finshed (final) version said " We thought we killed it. It had so many warts and bumps and lumps and things" Charles Schulz in a interview I remember seeing said they were nervous presenting it to the network. And he pointed out one scene in particular that even though he liked it didn't no how CBS execs would react, the last scene were Charlie puts on a Christmas bulb on his lone branch tree then it droops to the ground and say's I've killed it! Then the kids appear in front of it and magically the tree becomes full and grows branches. He thought even for a cartoon that might be considered to far fetched. CBS loved it and the rest is history. They only had six months to come up with a idea and storyline to get it together and this made the animation seem rushed.

But these flaws( if you can call them that,) to me make it even more so a enduring Christmas tradition.

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (softfilter @ Dec 3 2006, 03:30 AM)
It's funny reading about the making of this classic Bill Melendez the animator who brought the Peanuts characters to life when seeing the finshed (final) version said " We thought we killed it. It had so many warts and bumps and lumps and things" Charles Schulz in a interview I remember seeing said they were nervous presenting it to the network. And he pointed out one scene in particular that even though he liked it didn't no how CBS execs would react, the last scene were Charlie puts on a Christmas bulb on his lone branch tree then it droops to the ground and say's I've killed it! Then the kids appear in front of it and magically the tree becomes full and grows branches. He thought even for a cartoon that might be considered to far fetched. CBS loved it and the rest is history. They only had six months to come up with a idea and storyline to get it together and this made the animation seem rushed.
But these flaws( if you can call them that,) to me make it even more so a enduring Christmas tradition.

Cool!

You can read/hear it here: Behind Vince Guaraldi's Timeless Holiday Soundtrack

All though CBS favored the animation in a positive light after hearing this it's obvious every thing else was a issue!!! laugh.gif It was indeed ground braking, watch it every Christmas eve along with the Christmas story. Nope don't get tired of it.