Sad songs.....

Roddy

Regarding the toll of war, I've always though Big Country's Come Back to Me, about a young war widow watching someone else's home coming parade, was particularly sad.

The day they had a party, right out in the street. Flags and flowers and singing for the homecome hero's treat.

I sat in the kitchen, without a fire on the range. I knew this house had lost the cause to ever make me warm again.

Come back to me, the days are all too long. Come back to me, you never should have gone. I was so young and full of pride, and you were wild and strong. I never knew how weak I was.

I watched them gather round him, when he stepped down from the car. While tears fell on my cigarette he handed out cigars. I have your child inside me, but you will never know. I never will forget you while I watch that child grow.

Come back to me, days are all to long. Come back to me, you never should have gone. I was so young and full of pride, and you were wild and strong. I never knew how weak I was.

I was so young and full of pride. (I never, I never, I never…)

I will always be here, fading by the day. I will wash the bloody hands and cast the bowl away. As the years hang on me, you will always be young. And one day I will lie down where the rose was thrown.

Come back to me, days are all to long. Come back to me, you never should have gone. I was so young and full of pride and you were wild and strong. I never knew how weak I was.

• Like 1

Regarding the toll of war, I've always though Big Country's Come Back to Me, about a young war widow watching someone else's home coming parade, was particularly sad.

The day they had a party, right out in the street. Flags and flowers and singing for the homecome hero's treat.

I sat in the kitchen, without a fire on the range. I knew this house had lost the cause to ever make me warm again.

Come back to me, the days are all too long. Come back to me, you never should have gone. I was so young and full of pride, and you were wild and strong. I never knew how weak I was.

I watched them gather round him, when he stepped down from the car. While tears fell on my cigarette he handed out cigars. I have your child inside me, but you will never know. I never will forget you while I watch that child grow.

Come back to me, days are all to long. Come back to me, you never should have gone. I was so young and full of pride, and you were wild and strong. I never knew how weak I was.

I was so young and full of pride. (I never, I never, I never…)

I will always be here, fading by the day. I will wash the bloody hands and cast the bowl away. As the years hang on me, you will always be young. And one day I will lie down where the rose was thrown.

Come back to me, days are all to long. Come back to me, you never should have gone. I was so young and full of pride and you were wild and strong. I never knew how weak I was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRCi0fld8Y

Off of Steeltown. What a great album! I now can't help but think of Stuart Adamson. The demons he must have struggled with. Very sad, indeed.

• Like 2

"Off of Steeltown. What a great album! I now can't help but think of Stuart Adamson. The demons he must have struggled with. Very sad, indeed. "

Supposedly (so I've read), The Edge delivered the eulogy at Stuart Adamson's funeral, and said that Adamson wrote songs that he wished U2 could write. Pretty high compliment.

• Like 1

There are some songs that make me cry most of the time. Sometimes due to sadness, sometimes because it just affects me.

Music Box Dancer by Frank Mills <3

I love this song, but for a few years I burst into tears every single time I heard it. Like, hysterical sobbing. It was my grandmas' favourite song and the last time I saw her, she asked me to sit with her because she wanted me to hear a "beautiful song". She told me she wanted it played at her memorial service and we both held each other as we listened to it.

It was played at the service and when I heard it over the loud speaker, I crumbled. I miss her every day, and I love this song.

Heroes by David Bowie- that song reminds me of my dad, that is OUR song (one of many lol) and reminds me of all the times he helped me function through every day during some very dark times in my life.

....both of these songs fill me with sadness, but joy at the same time. hard to explain! lol

• Like 2

The new Will.I.Am single ft. Miley Cyrus: Feelin' Myself

I love it!

Man how I really don't like this song

Garry O Raffay "Alone Again (Naturally)" is one of the most saddest song ever period and Bee Gees "I Started A Joke" is also one period!!!!! I just cry and cry on that song and Chicago "Wish You Were Here" don't do it justice at allll

• Like 2

Garry O Raffay "Alone Again (Naturally)" is one of the most saddest song ever period and Bee Gees "I Started A Joke" is also one period!!!!! I just cry and cry on that song and Chicago "Wish You Were Here" don't do it justice at allll

Great choices.... :cheers: Way back in this thread somewhere I picked a couple Bee Gees songs and a Chicago song too.... Edited by Narpski

Rushflyer, I had forgotten all about that song "Alone Again (Naturally)" - I think it came out sometime in 1972. You are right. It is a very sad song - sad lyrics.

Lot of sad (and great) songs mentioned but, unless I missed it, the song that hits me the hardest has not been mentioned yet so I will toss it in. It is:

Leaving on a Jet Plane by Peter, Paul & Mary

I had a folk-guitar playing uncle and when I was really little I would ALWAYS have him play this and Puff the Magic Dragon. I didn't care about any other song. Anyway, have always loved it since.

On that note, I'll nominate Puff the Magic Dragon. I still think it's sad.

Oh and 2 of The Beatles songs "Yesterday" and "I will follow the sun" also make me cry!!!!

As far as Beatles songs are concerned, Eleanor Rigby and Because hold the sadness crown, for me.

So many sad songs (and I have an affinity for the sad song, so this whole thread is right up my alley)...I'll have to come back to it.

• Like 2

All the years combine

They melt into a dream

A broken angel sings from a guitar

In the end there's just a song

Comes crying up the night

Through all the broken dreams and vanished years

Stella Blue

When all the cards are down

There's nothing left to see

There's just the pavement left

And broken dreams