Sad songs.....

Roddy

The first three that immediately spring to my mind (and I know there are many more, I just have to resurrect them in my brain):

1. All I have to hear is the first five seconds of the intro to Nights In White Satin, and tears immediately spring to my eyes - no matter where I am.

2. "A Man Needs a Maid" off of Neil Young's Harvest - My father had just died when that album came out ("when will I see you again?")

3. Same with Seventh Sojourn by The Moodies - I know Mike Pinder wrote "When You're a Free Man" about Timothy Leary, but, again, it reminds me of when my father died - more the haunting melody than anything, especially the last fifty or so seconds of the song.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The first three that immediately spring to my mind (and I know there are many more, I just have to resurrect them in my brain):

1. All I have to hear is the first five seconds of the intro to Nights In White Satin, and tears immediately spring to my eyes - no matter where I am.

2. "A Man Needs a Maid" off of Neil Young's Harvest - My father had just died when that album came out ("when will I see you again?")

3. Same with Seventh Sojourn by The Moodies - I know Mike Pinder wrote "When You're a Free Man" about Timothy Leary, but, again, it reminds me of when my father died - more the haunting melody than anything, especially the last fifty or so seconds of the song.

Seventh is a great album. Their last great album. I love Ray Thomas' My Lady.

• Like 2

Sonata Arctica- Caleb, The End of This Chapter, Don't Say A Word, Juliet

Porcupine Tree - Stop Swimming, Drown With Me, Heartattack In A Layby

Opeth - The entire Damnation album, To Bid You Farewell

Katatonia - Any and every song they've done...EVER! Although all their songs are pretty dark as well. The entire Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision albums are incredibly sad and Deadhouse, Quiet World, Saw You Drown, This Punishment and I Am Nothing (which are on those two albums) are their top 5 most saddest songs IMO.

Its final...my number one sad song is Falling Again by Lacuna Coil off their debut full length In A Reverie.

Cristina Scabbia dedicated the song to a friend who passed away, and it remainsnone of the fanbases favourite songs (an earlier vesion appeared on the self titled debut EP entitled Falling, with minor differences in the lyrics and production). Last year they resurrected the song for The Dark Legacy tour and performed it acoustically, much to the delight of fans who had been craving it to be performed for years. And it melted the hearts of everybody in the audience.

It is simply on of the most beautiful and emotionally heartbreaking songs I have ever heard, and when Cristina Scabbia wrote these lyrics, not only could she barely speak english, she wrote these lyrics as well. They are now part of my signature.

Oh my...I forgot how tender this song makes me feel. I listen to it and her pain is all I can feel.

Forgot a huge one. Dennis, from Badfinger's incredible album Wish You Were Here (1974).

Pete Ham wrote the song for his son, Blair, and took his own life about a year later.

It's one of those songs where the lyrics are fairly benign, but the chords are often very menacing.

It makes you wonder if there's any extra meaning to the fade-out lyrics, which become very haunting in context.

• Like 2

Forgot a huge one. Dennis, from Badfinger's incredible album Wish You Were Here (1974).

Pete Ham wrote the song for his son, Blair, and took his own life about a year later.

It's one of those songs where the lyrics are fairly benign, but the chords are often very menacing.

It makes you wonder if there's any extra meaning to the fade-out lyrics, which become very haunting in context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_LVe75SHY

Beautiful music. But, their story is heartbreaking. Probably the saddest in rock history.

• Like 1

Beautiful music. But, their story is heartbreaking. Probably the saddest in rock history.

"Day After Day" is flat-out gorgeous.

• Like 2

There's no time for us

There's no place for us

What is this thing that builds our dreams

Yet slips away from us

Who wants to live forever?

There's no chance for us

It's all decided for us

This world has only one sweet moment

Set aside for us

Who dares to love forever?

When love must die

But touch my tears with your lips

Touch my world with your fingertips

And we can have forever

And we can love forever

Forever is our today

Forever is our today

Who waits forever anyway?

• Like 2

There's no time for us

There's no place for us

What is this thing that builds our dreams

Yet slips away from us

There's no chance for us

It's all decided for us

This world has only one sweet moment

Set aside for us

Who dares to love forever?

When love must die

But touch my tears with your lips

Touch my world with your fingertips

And we can have forever

And we can love forever

Forever is our today

Forever is our today

Who waits forever anyway?

Good call. A good heart-wrencher from Dr. Brian.

I was going to ask you where I can read about their heartbreaking story as I liked them a lot way back when, but I will see what I can find out myself.

Lucky Man........... ELP

Soon.................... Yes

Soon is probably more poignant than "sad" in the classic sense of the word............... :codger:

• Like 2