The Departed

2112-Rob-2112

Goob, this movie benefits from repeated viewings. You try to absorb everything the first time you see it, but you can't. It's so layered and dense that you don't pick up on all the little details at first, so give it another chance. Then, as you're watching it the second time, things start clicking. I've seen it four times now, and the fourth viewing was the best yet. Its complexity reminds me of "L.A. Confidential"...movies like that are gold, because you can always pop it in and get something new out of it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 21 2007, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 21 2007, 05:09 PM)
Hey All...

Does anyone else think Nicholson overacted during this flick??

I really liked the movie, but it just seemed to me that he was a tad over the top...I could be wrong.  Just wondered if anyone else agrees.  Loved all other characters.

That's Nicholson. He was no more over-the-top in The Departed than any of his other movies. In fact, I thought he held back with The Departed.

I agree. I thought Jack was perfect. The Frank Costello character was bigger than life, and you need a guy like Jack to fill that role. A line from the movie theater scene illustrates that...after Damon tells him he needs to lay low for a while, Jack says, "Laying low is not what I do."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 21 2007, 05:47 PM)
Hey All...

I really liked the movie, but it just seemed to me that he was a tad over the top...I could be wrong.  Just wondered if anyone else agrees.  Loved all other characters.

That's Nicholson. He was no more over-the-top in The Departed than any of his other movies. In fact, I thought he held back with The Departed.

I agree. I thought Jack was perfect. The Frank Costello character was bigger than life, and you need a guy like Jack to fill that role. A line from the movie theater scene illustrates that...after Damon tells him he needs to lay low for a while, Jack says, "Laying low is not what I do."

Okay, I was thinking about Nicholson as an actor and I remembered in Speilberg talking about Kubrick and the topic of Nicholson's acting came up. I found the clip on YouTube (it's about 2 minutes in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU99BoD7Vks

Pretty much sums it up!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 21 2007, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 21 2007, 05:47 PM)
Hey All...

Okay, I was thinking about Nicholson as an actor and I remembered in Speilberg talking about Kubrick and the topic of Nicholson's acting came up. I found the clip on YouTube (it's about 2 minutes in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU99BoD7Vks

Pretty much sums it up!

yes.gif

I liked this movie alot. Although I've only seen it twice, it was better the 2nd time around. I should probably watch this again today.

DiCaprio...when he's on he's really on. And in this he's near as good as he can get

Jack...I haven't seen him in a great movie in a long time until now. Welcome back Jack

Damon...I think he plays a much better villain than hero...just has that slimeball look about him. And in this he plays it well

Wahlberg...excellent role for him. That office scene early on when he's relentless on Dicaprio is applaudit.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 21 2007, 03:47 PM)
Hey All...

I'll definitely be seeing it again (and I'm sure further agains beyond that). I just remember being so shocked when Leo's character was shot so abruptly. I just felt really let down that this character I'd been rooting for the entire movie was just gone in a flash. It seemed almost unnecessarily harsh. We'll see, I very well may learn to love the movie over time.

As for Nicholson, I don't think he overacted at all. Of all the brilliant acting performances in the movie, his was the best - pure genius.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 21 2007, 05:32 PM)
Goob, this movie benefits from repeated viewings. You try to absorb everything the first time you see it, but you can't. It's so layered and dense that you don't pick up on all the little details at first, so give it another chance. Then, as you're watching it the second time, things start clicking. I've seen it four times now, and the fourth viewing was the best yet. Its complexity reminds me of "L.A. Confidential"...movies like that are gold, because you can always pop it in and get something new out of it.

goodpost.gif

Yeah it definitely gets better each time I watch it. It actually is one of my favourite movies now! I love how everyone who is in on it get's killed at the end. It's very realistic in that respect because it would be very stupid to have people who knew about it to be alive at the end. I really love that Whalberg's chracter figures it all out and in the end takes care of business.

I do admit that when DiCaprio's character gets killed it's very shocking! Actually I think that he gives one of the best performances of his career in this movie, next to Blood Diamond.

As for the comment about Jack overacting in the movie... I really disagree. Personally I thought he nailed the character of a big mob boss in Boston extremely well and very convincingly too.

Goobs, you really should watch the movie again. As you said you expect a lot from Scorcese given his body of work and if you watch it again I am sure you will see the movie Scorcese set out to make. biggrin.gif

FINALLY watched it last night. applaudit.gif

I thought it was amazing. I loved everything about it. I had a gut feeling that Leo would die, and I was almost convinced it was going to be Wahlberg that did it, but luckily he was saved for later.

What a cool movie. I hear it's a remake. I'll have to find out more about the original and see that too, just to compare.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jack's most recent work, but this proved WHY he is so respected. He was very good. That scene with Leo in the bar (THE TAMAQUA in Brooklyn actually), was amazing.

Can't wait to watch it again when CeeJ finally decides to sit through it. bncegrn.gif

i too loved this movie!

i have it still saved on my tivo so i can record it to disk to have in my video library...

it most definitely is a movie you have to see again to get it all.

SPOILER***********************************************

I like this movie a lot, but it benefits from multiple viewings. The only thing I thought was over the top was the rat running across the railing at the end. A little too much obvious symbolism there for me.

I own this on DVD, but since it was on HBO again late last night, I had to watch it!

While watching it last night, it struck me that a lot of the dialogue had a very David Mamet-like quality to it. Lots of choppy phrasing, overlapping sentences, accentuated vulgarity. I noticed it more in the Nicholson, Wahlberg and Baldwin characters. The scenes where Wahlberg first berates DiCaprio and where Nicholson talks to the priests in the bar are good examples.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 24 2007, 05:53 PM)
I own this on DVD, but since it was on HBO again late last night, I had to watch it!

While watching it last night, it struck me that a lot of the dialogue had a very David Mamet-like quality to it. Lots of choppy phrasing, overlapping sentences, accentuated vulgarity. I noticed it more in the Nicholson, Wahlberg and Baldwin characters. The scenes where Wahlberg first berates DiCaprio and where Nicholson talks to the priests in the bar are good examples.

Yes, you nailed it. Wahlberg (an actor IM really startying to like) especially... I love all that vitrol on the screen...