The Departed

2112-Rob-2112

yea when i was little i used to like Leonardo DiCaprio, and then as i got a little bit older i started to just kinda brush him off as just a stupid heart-throb actor that the chicks just like cuz he's good-looking, and then recently i've started to realize that he is actually a great actor.

i really wanna see this movie, i hope i can get to it before it's out of the theaters, but it most likely won't come to my stupid little town.

Agree well worth seeing great cast, Is Nicholson made for this role or what! Fantastic and funny in only the demented way Jack can pull off.. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 15 2007, 10:18 PM)
Just saw this for the first time this evening. Wonderful movie. Excellent writing, acting and directing. Four stars!

Hey cool - we just watched it last night. Thought the same thing. Fantastic movie.

And I recognized the bar that Nicholson and DiCaprio were at. Bobby and I hung out there for a bit on St. Patricks Day. That was kinda wild.

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Oct 21 2006, 08:17 PM)
just saw this movie tonight..along with texas chainsaw and jackass 2.

The departed was completely amazing..one of the best movies ive ever seen...go see it now!

Ive been meaning to see that, will have to soon!

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Oct 26 2006, 03:46 PM)
yea when i was little i used to like Leonardo DiCaprio, and then as i got a little bit older i started to just kinda brush him off as just a stupid heart-throb actor that the chicks just like cuz he's good-looking, and then recently i've started to realize that he is actually a great actor.

I agree with you on Leo. He will probably always be under appreciated because of the pretty boy tag. In my opinion he made Titantic and he has the ability to make you forget you are watching him and becomes the person he is portraying. I loved the Departed.

I agree with the sentiments on Leo, he has become a very good actor.

I think Wahlberg has really come into his own as an actor too.

Two great performances. And of course, Nicholson is always good.

I didn't see that ending coming no.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 16 2007, 06:18 PM)
I agree with the sentiments on Leo, he has become a very good actor.

I think Wahlberg has really come into his own as an actor too.

Two great performances. And of course, Nicholson is always good.

I didn't see that ending coming no.gif

Me too.....he was good in Gangs Of New York, Blood Diamond, The Departed and Catch Me If You Can........I think people rag on him because he looks like a Backstreet Boy...

The Departed was great. My wife cringed at the violence, but I thought it was awesome.

I just bought this and watched it last night. Don't ask what took me so long to get to it, I couldn't tell you. I freakin' loved it! I do believe that 'The Departed' is now my favorite Scorsese film of all time. If you haven't seen this one you need to.

bumper.gif

Ok, I FINALLY saw this movie! (ya see my wife doesn't like violent movies, and I don't like to see movies alone and so... oh, it's a long boring story... unsure.gif )

WARNING: SPOILERS

I think I need to see this movie again, and maybe a couple more times, because my first impression was that I wasn't too crazy about it. I expect a lot from Scorcese, and I was disappointed. For the record, I love Scorsece and Goodfellas was one of my all time favorites. Of course he's made many other brilliant movies, but that's one of the standouts.

PROS:

The cast was phenomenal - I mean, Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg - all in one movie - it doesn't get much better than that. no.gif

Much of the story was very gripping, the whole cat and mouse scenarios, etc. It was very stylishly directed, but of course I would expect nothing less from one of the true masters.

CONS:

This is the feeling I was left with by the end of the movie. It was "Ok, so pretty much EVERYONE died? WTF???" I've always wondered what I would think of a movie where you're going along watching it all happy go lucky (as happy go lucky as one can watch a Scorcese film) and the main character suddenly dies, or if most of the main characters died. I thought that would be quite an interesting change. In actuality, I just found it kind of depressing.

Scorcese has an amzing ability to make the loathsome characters seem attractive in some way, like you still route for them no matter how evil they are. First Martin Sheen's character dies (bummer), then Nicholson's (a bit of a shock), then DiCaprio's (a MAJOR shock), and finally Damon's (wow). By the end, I had no one to root for at all, not even a bad guy, and it all just ended in a huge bloodbath with pretty much one survivor who had been absent from the last half of the movie anyway. I have to say, it left me with kind of an empty feeling.

Like I said, maybe I need to watch this movie again to "get" it. I enjoyed watching it, but by the end I just kind of felt numbed out by pretty much EVERYONE dying. confused13.gif If someone wants to explain what I'm missing here, I'm open to hearing it...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2007, 04:49 PM)
This is the feeling I was left with by the end of the movie. It was "Ok, so pretty much EVERYONE died? WTF???" I've always wondered what I would think of a movie where you're going along watching it all happy go lucky (as happy go lucky as one can watch a Scorcese film) and the main character suddenly dies, or if most of the main characters died. I thought that would be quite an interesting change. In actuality, I just found it kind of depressing.

That's EXACTLY what my friend said when we watched it. I thought it was alright, the old Hamlet ending. Mark Wahlberg was the best guy anyway. laugh.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 21 2007, 05:09 PM)
Hey All...

Does anyone else think Nicholson overacted during this flick??

I really liked the movie, but it just seemed to me that he was a tad over the top...I could be wrong. Just wondered if anyone else agrees. Loved all other characters.

That's Nicholson. He was no more over-the-top in The Departed than any of his other movies. In fact, I thought he held back with The Departed.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2007, 04:49 PM)
bumper.gif

Ok, I FINALLY saw this movie! (ya see my wife doesn't like violent movies, and I don't like to see movies alone and so... oh, it's a long boring story... unsure.gif )

WARNING: SPOILERS

I think I need to see this movie again, and maybe a couple more times, because my first impression was that I wasn't too crazy about it. I expect a lot from Scorcese, and I was disappointed. For the record, I love Scorsece and Goodfellas was one of my all time favorites. Of course he's made many other brilliant movies, but that's one of the standouts.

PROS:

The cast was phenomenal - I mean, Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg - all in one movie - it doesn't get much better than that. no.gif

Much of the story was very gripping, the whole cat and mouse scenarios, etc. It was very stylishly directed, but of course I would expect nothing less from one of the true masters.

CONS:

Scorcese has an amzing ability to make the loathsome characters seem attractive in some way, like you still route for them no matter how evil they are. First Martin Sheen's character dies (bummer), then Nicholson's (a bit of a shock), then DiCaprio's (a MAJOR shock), and finally Damon's (wow). By the end, I had no one to root for at all, not even a bad guy, and it all just ended in a huge bloodbath with pretty much one survivor who had been absent from the last half of the movie anyway. I have to say, it left me with kind of an empty feeling.

Like I said, maybe I need to watch this movie again to "get" it. I enjoyed watching it, but by the end I just kind of felt numbed out by pretty much EVERYONE dying. confused13.gif If someone wants to explain what I'm missing here, I'm open to hearing it...

Apparently, your reaction was what Scorsese was going for - the empty feeling you get not knowing why terrible things happen.