Make A Playlist thread

Moonraker

The idea behind this thread is to put up a playlist, sorta like the celebrity playlists on the Itunes Music Store of music you are into. The only rule is you have to limit yourself to 10 songs. The lists you make dont have to follow any specific theme either, so it doesnt have to be your top 10 favorite songs of all time. It could simply be the first 10 songs that came up on shuffle, or a playlist of your favorite 10 death metal songs for Halloween. Post as many lists as you want.

---

My playlist is 10 songs of bands that I am listening a lot of at the present moment. They arent really in any order of preference, just an order I think flows well. I'll also give a short description for each selection as I dont think most people have heard of these bands.

1) The Smiths - Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

(One of the greatest and most influential indie bands to ever form, this song is from thier last album, Strangeways, Here We Come)

2) Spoon - Me And The Bean

(A good friend of mine is a freak about this band and has dragged me to go see them a number of times, thier sound is quite organic and stripped down. This one is off Girls Can Tell, one of my favorites by them.)

3) Mates Of State - Think Long

(Another band I have seen a few times and was turned on to by thier live shows. A two piece act with one guy on drums and a girl on keyboards, both singing.)

4) Cut Copy - The Twilight

(A very infectious synthy, dancy band from Australia, who recently toured with Franz Ferdinand. This one is off Bright Like Neon Love, which really has no weak moments at all.)

5) Silversun Pickups - Kissing Families

(This band has just released an album which I think is the best thing to be put out this year, I have listened to thier debut, Carnavas, at least a dozen times in the last few weeks. This song however is off thier Pikul EP of last year, not thier debut LP release.)

6) Sons & Daughters - Dance Me In

(An extremely scottish band with a punkish sound and agression to them. I've been into them about a year now but thier songs still seem to pop up for me often. Dance Me In is a favorite by them off The Repulsion Box.)

7) John Lennon - Remember

(Probably the only one on this list many people have heard before. A favorite off of Plastic Ono Band, which I have just recently discovered)

8) Loop!Station - Towering

(My favorite local band here in San Francisco, but quite different from most everything I have ever heard. They are an extremely talented, classically trained two piece consisting of a cello player and a singer with the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. This song is off their latest release.)

9) David Bowie - The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)

(A quite dark and synth driven song off of Bowie's Outside album from the mid 90's. This album marked a comeback creatively for him from his 80's slump)

10) The Helio Sequence - Take, Take, Take

(Another great album I have recently discovered, with many transcendent and atmospheric tones to this song, especially towards the end. Very Kasabian/Caribou, though released years before either of those bands had put out an album)

If you think downloading music for free is a bad thing, dont click here

Okay, here's mine...Not any special theme, just ten songs I really like right now, representing lots of different styles and eras (no Rush) in an order that sounds good together.

1. U2 - Zoo Station

One of the greatest opening tracks of all time. U2 got a bit full of themselves with the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum, started taking their Most Important Band In The World status a little too seriously. I can only imagine how much of a shock Achtung Baby was at the time for fans...right from the opening guitar distortion of this track, you know it's going to be a very different record from The Joshua Tree or the Unforgettable Fire. This album was influenced greatly by Berlin-era David Bowie, as well as the hip-hop and electronica scenes at the time, and stands as one of the very best releases of the '90s.

2. Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

Picking one Radiohead track is hard, as their albums tend to sound better when taken as a whole. But this is a great mellower track from Kid A, which has to be the weirdest album ever to debut at #1 on the charts.

3. The Smiths - Panic

Hands down, the best band of the '80s. It was hard to pick a single track from them too. In four years, from 1984 to 1987, this group released 4 classic albums and a few dozen brilliant non-album singles. This is one of those. It can be found in great company on the 1987 compilation Louder than Bombs.

4. Pink Floyd - Dogs

I barely listen to any classic rock at all anymore, including Rush. It was all I listen to in middle school, and I'm just kind of burned out on it as a whole. But Pink Floyd's Animals is an album I still find myself listening to quite regularly. The transition about 3 and a half minutes into this one, where it goes from the faster acoustic part into (IMO) one of Gilmour's very best solos, never fails to make hairs stand on end.

5. Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

One of my all-time favorite hip-hop tracks, from this legendary eccentric nine-man crew from Staten Island, New York. For those who say that rap doesn't take any kind of talent to produce, listen to this production, with a haunting low-key piano sample backing up the rappers' interplay with each other. A classic.

6. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

A Leonard Cohen cover, from Jeff Buckley's first (and, sadly, only) album, 1994's Grace. Quite possibly the greatest male vocal performance in rock history.

7. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

Like the Jeff Buckley album, Massive Attack's Blue Lines is one I first checked out after hearing Neil Peart talk about it in Travelling Music. This album began the entire trip-hop genre and still sounds fresh 15 years later. Shara Nelson's vocals on this track are flat-out incredible.

8. The Smashing Pumpkins - Raindrops + Sunshowers

If you're anybody but me and Moonraker, you probably think that everything Billy Corgan has done since Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness has been terrible. But I wonder: Have all the MACHINA haters there are actually ever listened to the album? Every song is incredible, lots of great melodies, just a perfect record. Easily Billy's high water mark. This is one of my favorite tracks from it.

9. The Arcade Fire - The Crown of Love

This album came out about two years ago, and I find it to be one of the few Pitchfork-worshipped albums that absolutely justifies its indie hype. Coming out in an era when most of the alternative scene was tired Gang of Four ripoffs, the Arcade Fire made use of mandolins and strings. And they're down with David Bowie, which is never a bad thing.

10. Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin'

From the just-released Modern Times, this could be Bob's best album-closer ever, even including Desolation Row and It's All Over Now Baby Blue. Dylan's voice is beyond sandpaper now, of course, but it suits this low-key track perfectly.

I'll do another list in a couple weeks. If any of those tracks I just posted interest you, you might want to click here.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

Epics. Just eight.

1) The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"

"We won't get fooled again!" The defiant message of a rebellious rocker group in the golden age of their star-spangled career is legendary, almost universally recognized words in the Western world. This striking, almost-nine-minute anthem stands as possibly rock's all-time greatest song.

2) Rush - "La Villa Strangiato"

Nine minutes on instrumental glory, as rendered by the philosophers of rock: Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. This song weaves an imaginative, vivid, colorful story through the sheer power of a guitar, a bass, and a drum set.

3) Pink Floyd - "Echoes"

Possibly the post-Syd Barrett Pink Floyd's first recaptured masterpiece - a sonic adventure of weird atmospherics, jamming rock guitar, tapping drums, and a pinging piano note. Though it weighs in at more than 23 and a half minutes in length, this work of art commands and holds attention all throughout.

4) Supertramp - "Fool's Overture"

An eleven-minute adventure through the distinctive, quirky world of Supertramp, this extended track provides some of the progressive-pop group's finest art moments, including swirling Pink Floyd-esque wind atmospherics and voiceovers from the famous wartime speech of former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

5) Pink Floyd - "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"

Wailing and slashing and oinking through eleven minutes of music comes the art-rock band known as Pink Floyd, with Roger Waters at helm to deliver a sharp, savage diatribe ripping into all the corporate fat cats, cold selfish politicians, greedy religious leaders, and censors of freedom of expression in the world. Cutting and relevant all the way through, not to mention sonically wondrous.

6) Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Tarkus Medley"

Though the relentlessly complex keyboard lines of Keith Emerson may sound dated in the world of Anno Domini, 2006, the aural artwork of ELP must be appreciated. This epic, nearly 21 minutes in length, may have a sound harkening back to its early-1970s era, but it remains real and relevant in the modern age today as well.

7) Rush - "2112"

Another fine twenty minutes in progressive rock. Inspired by "Anthem" by Objectivist philosopher and writer Ayn Rand, the brainchild of Neil Peart of Rush, and one of the greatest stories ever told in the form of rock music.

8) Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven

And no list of rock epics is complete without one more well-known anthem in Led Zeppelin's most overplayed track. Building from an acoustic ballad to a pounding, stomping rocker, this eight-minute piece demonstrates the power of rock and roll.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 19 2006, 02:51 AM)
I really want to join in here but it's way too much typing for a mere duckling...

unsure.gif  trink38.gif

I'm with you guys though...

In spirit  cosmo.gif

C'mon Treeduck - If you're posting at ten to three in the morning, you have plenty of time wink.gif .

If I can figure out how to do this, anyone can!!!!

trink39.gif trink39.gif

Edited by madra sneachta

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 19 2006, 02:40 AM)
I really want to join in here but it's way too much typing for a mere duckling...

unsure.gif  trink38.gif

In spirit  cosmo.gif

C'mon Treeduck - If you're posting at ten to three in the morning, you have plenty of time wink.gif .

trink39.gif trink39.gif

Ha ha, well it doesn't matter what the time is I'm just as lazy 2.50a.m. as I am at Noon...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 19 2006, 01:00 AM)

unsure.gif  trink38.gif

In spirit  cosmo.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif

Ha ha, well it doesn't matter what the time is I'm just as lazy 2.50a.m. as I am at Noon...

laugh.gif

You know you want to, you still have yet to do your list of favorite albums of 2006 as well (a thread you started tongue.gif )

Okay, another list, same type of deal, songs I've been digging this week. This one is more varied than the last.

1. The Mars Volta - Viscera Eyes

The second half of Amputechture is probably the best thing these guys have ever recorded, and Viscera Eyes gets it started with a bang. Lots of great riffs and killer vocals, as usual.

2. The Smashing Pumpkins - Tear

I think for all my playlists I am going to put in something Billy Corgan has written post-Mellon Collie, just because the general consensus on the Pumpkins is that everything after that album has sucked. Which is just wrong. Here's a great track off the vastly underrated 1998 album Adore.

3. The Decemberists - The Perfect Crime #2

4. The Decemberists - When the War Came

Album of the year so far. These two tracks go great together - The Perfect Crime has a lighter, funky, jazzy feel to it, almost Steely Dan-esque, while When the War Came is an all-out rocker. Definitely psyched for the tour opener at the Crystal Ballroom on October 17.

5. Lupe Fiasco - Kick, Push

From his debut, Food & Liquor (Hip-hop album of the year, by the way), this track strays from the usual gats-and-hoes lyrical template of rappers to talk about, of all things, skateboarding. During Kanye West's set at Bumbershoot, Lupe came out and sang this song, and it brought the house down. By far the coolest Muslim video-game-nerd rapper to come out this year.

6. Tom Waits - Gun Street Girl

You either love or hate Tom Waits, mostly because of his uber-gravelly voice (he honestly makes Bob Dylan sound like Freddie Mercury). But this is one of my favorite tracks from Waits's 1985 masterpiece Rain Dogs...he is one of my favorite artists definitely, someone who has always done everything on his own terms. He's also the only 70s guy (besides Neil Young and David Bowie) who is still as relevant today as he's ever been.

7. Elvis Costello - Oliver's Army

Just a fantastic song from my favorite Elvis album, 1979's Armed Forces. Great melody, great lyrics, great playing from his famed backing band The Attractions.

8. David Bowie - Days

This was one of the first Bowie songs I ever heard. I heard it on, of all places, Little Steven's underground Garage radio program. It's from his latest studio album, Reality, from 2003. Just a great low-key acoustic track.

9. Guns N' Roses - Catcher in the Rye

Chinese Democracy is probably never going to come out. But we do have about half of it in the form of leaks and live recordings. I believe this is a demo from 1999. Catcher in the Rye is a November Rain/Estranged-style epic ballad with some Beatlesque overtones, and guitar work courtesy of Brian May. Axl sounds as good as he ever has.

10. Immortal Technique - Dance with the Devil

Quite possibly the greatest hip-hop song I have ever heard. A nine-minute tour de force of ominous pianos and vivid (albeit incredibly disturbing) storytelling from this highly underrated underground MC. Warning: Not for the faint of heart.

Check the playlist out. You know you want to.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 19 2006, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 19 2006, 01:00 AM)

unsure.gif  trink38.gif

In spirit  cosmo.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif

laugh.gif

You know you want to, you still have yet to do your list of favorite albums of 2006 as well (a thread you started tongue.gif )

Oh I've done that now...

I'm not good at writing descriptions for this kind of stuff, so forgive the shortness/lameless of them.

1. THE WHO- QUADROPHENIA

This is one of the best overture-style songs I've heard. It is a great instrumental tune, and goes well at the beginning of of the playlist.

2. RUSH- LOCK & KEY

ahhh...you all knew it would show up somwhere on my list didn't you? wink.gif

3. LED ZEPPELIN- THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME

One of the best bass parts from any song. It's a decent rocker; a classic Zeppelin tune. I like to give it a periodic spin from time to time.

4. DREAM THEATER- UNDER A GLASS MOON (from any '92 or '93 concert)

I'm watching this on Score...John Petrucci's gelled back hair is wayy too hilarious laugh.gif . Anyways- I think UAGM is a great tune, despite the fact that so many other DT fans rag on it all the time. The Images and Words concerts also had a lot of great James LaBrie high notes for this song.

5. RUSH- LA VILLA STRANGIATO (ESL version)

Petrucci's hair is still hilarious tongue.gif . Anyways, ESL is among the better performances of this song that I've heard.

6. BILLY JOEL- SAY GOODBYE TO HOLLYWOOD

Just cause I can.

7. SUPERTRAMP- FOOL'S OVERTURE

2 Words: Beautiful song. that's all. Why it's at #7? Because it came to my mind.

8. PANTERA- CEMETARY GATES

Believe it or not Cemetary Gates is my favorite Pantera song that I've heard. I see no reason why it shouldn't be on my playlist.

9. RUSH- LOSING IT

Another one that you probably all knew would show up somwhere on my list tongue.gif

10. DREAM THEATER- A CHANGE OF SEASONS

Makes a better closer than an opener.

hmmm...

10 for Today: - No apparent reason, just 10 songs I really dig:

1) Weather Report - Black Market (live version from 8:30)

Guess the "Fusion" thread put this one in the forefront of my brain, and it's a great energetic starter. What a groove.

2) Black Sabbath - Wheels of Confusion

My favorite Sabbath song. Been listening to a LOT of their music the past 6 months.

3) Foals - A Knife in the Ocean

One of my favorite current bands, and I love the way this song builds.

4) Pink Floyd - Lucifer Sam

Songs about cats get lots of love 'round here, and I love this psych-ey jam from the Syd-era.

5) Pat Metheny - A Map Of The World

Title piece to the soundtrack. I have not seen the movie, and I'm a bit afraid to, as this song has already conjured up enough images and emotions. Might be the best thing Pat's ever composed, and that's saying something.

6) Keith Jarrett - Kyoto, Japan (first 12 min), SUN BEAR CONCERTS, 1976.

When I die, I wonder if this is the music I'm going to hear. I hope so. Sublime, ethereal, transcendent.

7) Miles Davis - In A Silent Way/It's About That Time

Or maybe it'll be Miles instead....

8) Yes - The Remembering (High The Memory)

Aaaahhh... Topographic Oceans...one of the world's more polarizing "prog" records. Seems like I play it more and more these days, for some reason. I love the repetition in this one, and the last 5 minutes are absolutely beautiful.

9) Traffic - Many A Mile To Freedom

I really could have picked any Traffic record, but this one has been in my head a lot recently.

10) The Black Crowes - Wiser Time

Will we part the seas? Glory beyond our reach?

Edited by Mystic Slipperman