Favorite Guitarist

Obviously, Alex Lifeson is a tragically underrated guitarist. He was inexplicably left off Rolling Stone's Top 100, whereas musicians like Kurt Cobain and Joni Mitchell (were they even guitarists?) were included. Perhaps the editors had temporarily forgotten what list they were compiling? Or maybe it's just 'cause it's Rolling Stone.

Anyway, I love Alex Lifeson's style, but I wouldn't rank him as my very favorite guitarist (though he is in my top ten or twenty).

My all-time favorite guitarist is Stevie Ray Vaughan (see avatar). Listening to his solo work makes me want to cry (think Little Wing, Riviera Paradise). He plays so cleanly, with such finesse and skill and sense, but he also pours his heart and soul into every note. Nothing is wasted. And as a bonus, he has a killer bluesy voice.

As a side-note, I'd like to pay my dues to jazz greats like Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, and Pat Martino. You are all-too-often neglected!

So, what say you?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan Holdsworth

Shawn Lane

Scott Henderson

Steve Morse

Eric Johnson

Buckethead

Edward Van Halen

Robben Ford

Guthrie Govan

Ray Gomez

Jimmy Herring

Bumblefoot

Michael Landau

SRV

Andy Timmons

Steve Vai

Brett Garsed

Steve Lukather

Larry Carlton

Nguyen le

Oz Noy

Mike Stern

John 5

Steve Stevens

George Lynch

and many more...

QUOTE (I Get High On You @ Aug 23 2006, 03:18 AM)
Wow! I'm glad to see such a complete appreciation for rock guitar virtuosity.

Can't pick just one, eh? biggrin.gif

Not only that I had to come back and add these guys as feel a bit remiss in forgetting them...

Danny Gatton

Tony Iommi (underrated player)

Jeff Beck

Joel Hoekstra

Mattias IA Eklundh

Pat Metheny

Adrian Legg

Lee Ritenour

Dann Huff

George Benson

Randy Rhoads

Ed Wynne

Steve Topping

Vivian Campbell (has a blues album you should check out)

Billy Gibbons (he's on it)

Jake E Lee

Nuno Bettencourt

Paul Gilbert (first all instrumental album out next week)

Special mention for Page, Hendrix May and Walsh

And even though you know I like this guy Alex Lifeson (very underrated)

My favorite might be Eddie Van Halen - because of the combination of talent, feel, and influence on others. But I think Steve Vai could play anything Sir Edward could play and then some. Vai could do anything that any guitarist does and then some!

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) - Just plain awesome.

Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)- This guy has awesome acoustic chops and his electric solos are so full of passion and intensity. He's much more than just a guitarist as well. One of the most talented men in rock.

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore's Night)

Eric Clapton

Gary Moore

Micky Moody/Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake) - Great guitar duo.

Alex Lifeson

Those would be the ones that spring to mind for me, but there are more as well.

Alex is amazing, no doubt about it. One of the all time greats.

During the 80s, my number one was Eddie VH, the man's a freak.

These days, if I HAD to name a favourite, it'd have to be Zakk Wylde. The man fairly RIPS, his playing and tone shreds your skin off. No More Tears is one of my all time favourite albums.

I write for a local music mag here in Melbourne. Just yesterday I interviewed Zakk himself...amazing honour, and the man's a NUTCASE! And so very very funny....

QUOTE (Roddy @ Aug 23 2006, 10:30 AM)
These days, if I HAD to name a favourite, it'd have to be Zakk Wylde. The man fairly RIPS, his playing and tone shreds your skin off. No More Tears is one of my all time favourite albums.
I write for a local music mag here in Melbourne. Just yesterday I interviewed Zakk himself...amazing honour, and the man's a NUTCASE! And so very very funny....

Are you familar with his work on last two Derek Sherinian solo discs?

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 23 2006, 12:21 PM)

I've got Black Utopia, which I love, but haven't listened to for a while. Might just whack it on, since you mentioned it! There's some SERIOUS talent going on on that record, if I remember correctly: Zakk, Yngwie, Billy Sheehan.....

What's the other one like?

As a stand alone Guitarist it got to be Steve Vai with Eric Johnson as close second.

John Petrucci is up there too as well is the forementioned Ed Wynne of Ozric Tentacles.

People, I realize are superior guitarists and I need to buy some material of include Buckethead and the almighty Mike Keneally. Keneally can play note for note with Vai, not only on the guitar but on the piano as well.

Last three Derek has a new one out...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000G04UY6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64179300_.jpg

QUOTE (Roddy @ Aug 23 2006, 01:26 PM)

I've got Black Utopia, which I love, but haven't listened to for a while. Might just whack it on, since you mentioned it! There's some SERIOUS talent going on on that record, if I remember correctly: Zakk, Yngwie, Billy Sheehan.....

What's the other one like?

Black Utopia also had Al Diemeola!

Mythology is also great. In additon to Zakk, he has Allan Holdworth, Steve Stevens and Steve Lukather.

The new one just came out and the tracks at Dereks home page sound killer. Will pick it up with my next amazon order.

Blood Of the Snake features:

Slash, Zakk Wylde, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Simon Phillips,

Tony Franklin, Brad Gillis, Billy Idol and Brian Tichy.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 23 2006, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Maddy @ Aug 23 2006, 01:04 PM)
Jimmy Page - nobody, but nobody, can play the blues like Pagey... wub.gif

Not even Stevie Ray Vaughan? Jeff beck?

Close, but - Jimmy's still my favorite. smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 23 2006, 07:07 PM)

BB King?! biggrin.gif

Page is a guitarist who has never really grabbed me. I wanted to love Led Zep, but when I actually listened to there stuff it wasn't for me sadly.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 23 2006, 08:45 AM)
Top 5:

Mark Knopfler

Alright! I was hoping someone would mention Mark Knopfler. "Sultans of Swing" is one of my all-time favorite songs. His solo on it is just perfect. Although I'd kinda like to hear Alex Lifeson's take on it...

QUOTE (Peestie @ Aug 23 2006, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 23 2006, 07:07 PM)

BB King?! biggrin.gif

Page is a guitarist who has never really grabbed me. I wanted to love Led Zep, but when I actually listened to there stuff it wasn't for me sadly.

Agreed. I can appreciate Led Zeppelin, there are several of their songs that I like enough to play regularly, but there are definitely better bands.

Yngwie is over-rated; I could be the "world's fastest guitarist" too, if all I played were scales and arpeggios.

And Angus Young? What has he done that's so good?