Definitive albums in your life

List those albums that, to you, are practically flawless and that you can play over and over for probably the rest of your life and you'd never get tired of hearing.

For me, my list comprises albums that have some meaning attached to them. Every song has significance.

I'm looking for albums primarily non-Rush but can be listed here if needed.

My list includes:

Rush - Signals

Rush - Hold Your Fire

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

U2 - October

Enya - Watermark

Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing

Dream Academy - Dream Academy

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Tinderbox

Kitchens of Distinction - The Death of Cool

more to come, possibly. I'll edit this as I think of them. Time for lunch.

The Who - Who's Next

The Beatles - Abbey Road

The Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid

The Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Rush - Moving Pictures

Rush - Presto

The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

Genesis - Duke

• Like 1

Okay, let me think here...my life in music...

The Beatles - Abbey Road / The White Album (as young as five, I would always want to listen to this Beatles cassette in the car that my parents had...it had Abbey Road on side one and Disc One of the white album on side 2. Later, in the fourth grade, when I started getting seriously into music, the Beatles were what I went back to first.)

The Rolling Stones - Big Hits, High Tide and Green Grass / Hot Rocks (my parents wanted me to listen to things besides the Beatles, so in fifth grade they got me the High Tide and Green Grass comp. Loved it. Later that year, I found my dad's Hot Rocks vinyl and played that endlessly. That was my first time hearing songs like Jumping Jack Flash and Sympathy for the Devil. I know I got HT/GG first, but both of these compilations were equally huge for me.)

The Who - Who's Next (this is the album that made me want to play drums...my favorite album of all time, to this day.)

Led Zeppelin - Early Days / Latter Days (I got this after I started listening to classic rock radio, in sixth grade. This was right when I started listening to more classic rock. This one I loved. To me, it remains probably the most listenable collection of Led Zeppelin songs even now. I have all their albums, but they get tiring for me. Probably because I've listened to them all way too much.)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (like everyone else, I went through my phase of thinking this was the greatest musical achievement in the history of the human race. I have it on vinyl, too, with the original posters. Now I like Wish You Were Here and Animals more, but this one I got into first. I had a cool science teacher in middle school who suggested that I listened to it with good headphones. That night I did, and it was absolutely incredible.)

Rush - Vapor Trails (I had started playing drums in fifth grade, and about a year later I started reading Modern Drummer magazine. They would always talk about this guy called Neil Peart who played in this band called Rush, and he was supposed to be amazing, so I made a mental note to check him out, but it slipped my mind. Somewhere near the end of sixth grade (maybe April of 2002), the classic rock station was giving away advance copies of Rush's new CD, Vapor Trails. When I heard that, I was like "oh yeah, they are supposed to have that amazing drummer, aren't they?" So I tried all weekend and finally won a copy. Loved it. The rest is history. Bought rest of catalog over next 2 years. Saw live in 2004. Posting on a Rush message board right now.)

The White Stripes - Elephant (I don't know what made me buy this. Maybe it was hearing Seven Nation Army on the radio, or maybe it was all those Led Zeppelin comparisons they were getting a few years back. But regardless, this was the first *NEW* CD I ever bought, the first that was actually contemporary, and not made in the 70s. Still one of my favorites.)

Nirvana - Nevermind / Unplugged in New York (I was absolutely obsessed with Kurt Cobain in late 2003. I read that book of his journals, I got all the albums, I just loved the guy. Still do. Unplugged in New York is the greatest live album of all time.)

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (8th grade is when my tastes started veering away from classic rock entirely. I got into NIN that year. I think it was reading something that said that Trent played all the instruments himself on all the NIN albums, and I was like "damn, that's so cool. I should check that out." The Fragile is a much better album, but this one I got into first.)

AC/DC - Highway to Hell / Back in Black (I don't even particularly like either of these albums, but my most vivid memories of 8th grade are an ongoing argument with a couple of my friends about AC/DC...whether or not they were better than Zeppelin (they weren't), whether or not Angus Young was a better guitarist than Alex Lifeson (of course he wasn't), whether or not there are other bands in existence besides AC/DC (to them, there weren't). That must just be a quintessentially 8th-grade thing, eh?)

Green Day - American Idiot (Freshman year of high school. The buildup to the election. Coming down from the results. Dealing with that first year of high school. This was the soundtrack to it all. I can barely listen to it now, due to radio overexposure, but this album is not only Green Day's finest work, but it also absolutely defined its moment.)

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (The most perfect 30 minutes in the history of human noise. I don't think there is any question in the world that can't be answered with a Morrissey lyric. I got into this at the end of freshman year. It is probably the only album where I can honestly say I could listen to it endlessly for the rest of my life and never get tired of it.)

Radiohead - OK Computer (It took me years to finally get Radiohead. But when I did, it hit hard.)

Those are all the truly defining ones so far, but I still have 2 more years of high school to get through, and then college, and then life. Music is a powerful thing, ain't it?

Edited by PuppetKing2112
  • Like 2

The Who "Quadrophenia"

Porcupine Tree "Stupid Dream"

Pink Floyd "The Wall"

Queensryke "Operation Mindcrime"

Neil Young "After The Gold Rush"

Iron Maiden "Number Of The Beast"

Ac/Dc "If You Want Blood You've Got It"

Porcupine Tree "In Absentia"

Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells"

Deep Purple "Made In Japan"

I could go on and on with this but these i love to listen to over and over again !!!

Natural

2.gif

Yes- Close to the Edge

My introduction to Yes and similar artists; plus I think that the title track is very close to pure musical heaven yes.gif Although I have listened to the album many, many, many times since I first discovered it about a year ago, it never seems to get old.

The Who- Quadrophenia

It's Quadrophenia. Need I say more?

Rush- Hold Your Fire

Hold Your Fire is my favorite Rush album. Lock and Key is currently battling Available Light for favorite Rush song. Say what you will, but I find Hold Your Fire to be one of very few flawless records. I never skip any song, any second of a song; I can listen to the record right from the jackhammers at the beginning of Force Ten all the way to High Water's fadeout without once saying "man, I really don't like that".

Rush- Rush in Rio

Because I can. Plus I like O Baterista better than The Rhythm Method.

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon

Why is this album so popular? Because it's awesome enough to be. Though I don't listen to it as constantly as I used to, I will still turn it on from time to time, smiling as I enjoy the music.

Pink Floyd- The Wall

This double album was one of the first few classic rock albums I had and enjoyed. Without The Wall, I might still be listening to top 40 right now 062802puke_prv.gif . It is also my favorite concept album.

Goo Goo Dolls- Dizzy Up the Girl

I love the music on this album. I can't really think of any "special meaning" that the CD has to me; in fact I can't even remember now whether or not I bought it legally laugh.gif (I lose track of that kind of stuff really fast though). Nevertheless, it is a quite enjoyable CD.

Dream Theater- Images and Words

Another one of those "perfect" CDs. I can't think of much to say about it either, although it was this CD primarily that turned me on to the world of Dream Theater. Surrounded and Learning to Live are two of DT's most extraordinary songs ever, IMO.

Dream Theater- Scenes from a Memory

The definiative progressive metal concept album. I don't think I need to say more here.

Dire Straits- Dire Straits

Another one that helped turn me on to classic rock. Thanks, Dire Straits! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Circa Survive- Juturna

It's new and different, but it has gotten quite a bit of airplay since I bought it in mid-Spring.

Boston- Boston

Need I say more?

The Ataris- So Long, Astoria

laugh.gif I bet I took you off guard there, right? Anyways, as I stated before up until right about a year ago, my music tastes did not extend much further than the top forty radio stations. I had about 300-350 songs, many of which I did not listen to (as opposed to the 5779 songs I have now-- I stil ldon't listen to qutie a few laugh.gif ). Anyways, at that point, I thought that So Long, Astoria was the greatest thing in the entire fricking world (that was obviously before I discovered real music). I have realized that it is essentially the only CD from that period in my life that I can still listen to and tolerate -- partially because of the atmospheric memories it brings back (haha -- I'm in high school and already listen to music for nostalgic purposes rofl3.gif ). if it weren't for the fact that it reminds me of stuff that happened last year, it would probably be deleted from my computer anyways.

That's all from me.

And for other people posting lists, I'd like to hear the stories behind why they are definitive, like I just did.

I'm glad to see that you all took this request sarcasm.gif

Edited by fledgehog

Led Zeppelin I - Most bands don't have their sound so perfectly defined on their first album, but Zep is an exception.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes

The Ramones - Rocket to Russia

Any other Led Zep album - I even love "In Throught The Out Door."

Rush - Counterparts, Grace Under Pressure, Signals and Moving Pictures. I love something on all their albums, but these are the ones I can listen to beginning to end, over and over.

Let's Active - Every Dog Has His Day. This one should have been a hit by divine right sad.gif

Jason & the Scorchers - Still Standing. They do a more blistering version of "19th Nervous breakdown" than the Stones.

The Alarm - Eye of the Hurricane. Just bloody perfect.

The Church - Starfish and Gold Afternoon Fix

Robert Plant - Now and Zen and the first disc of Sixty-Six to Timbucktu

Jimmy Page - Outrider. When Jimmy plays the blues... b_sigh.gif wub.gif

T-Rex - Electric Warrior

The Bongos - Beat Hotel and Numbers With Wings

The White Stripes - Elephant and White Blood Cells

The Rainmakers - Tornado

Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

Yeah, a lot of obscure 80's bands, I'll admit...

I'll list all the Rush I own, and put the ones I could listen to over and over again in bold.

Rush

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Other bands now:

Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory

Judas Priest - Angel of Retrubution

Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Led Zeppelin I

Power Windows: First album I ever bought, back in '85, on vinyl. Still to this day my all time favourite album.

Every other Rush album except T4E, and maybe CP.

Everything Devin Townsend has ever done. Since 'City' back in '97, Metal hasn't been the same. The man is a warped genius.

Queensryche's Mindcrime 1. Still stuns me with it's depth and execution. And emotion. Takes me back to that time.

Maiden's 1st 5 albums. Vied with Rush for several years as my ultimate favourite band. Rush launched ahead after Maiden put out Somewhere in Time, No Prayer for the Dying etc.

Def Lep's Hysteria: On of the few albums from the cheesy hair Metal late 80s I still listen to regularly.

Gunners: AFD. See above. Saw both of them at the time. Both amazing for very different reasons!

Opeth's Ghost Reveries: Truly stunning progressive melodic Death. Best album of last year.

A Perfect Circle's Mer De Noms. Creates such atmosphere it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Mudvayne's LD50: More incredible depth. Amazing complexity and imagination. Haven't come close to it since.

Alice in Chains' Dirt. Many will disagree, but for me, best album of the early nineties era.

I could sit here for the next 6 months, but I've run outta time!

Basement Jaxx- Kish Kash

I bought this album in Toronto...I didn't know anything about this band...only through DJ's and the internet. The only song I knew of was "Cish Cash" and I had heard it from a snowboarding video. The cover also struck me as cool. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Basement_Jaxx-Kish_Kash.jpg I decided to take it even though it was a $30. It's an AWESOME album...and also the album that first showed me that there was cool, good music on the DJ side of things. (yes lets not go there...*slaps wrist*)

Vapor Trails- Rush

I did know a little bit of Rush at this time when it came out. I only knew of the little songs...the ones on the radio but also songs like Freewill, Distant Early Warning...etc. I bought it and loved it. It was my first main Rush cd to get as I did download the music I had before *slap on wrist* dazed025.gif .

Heart- Greatest hits

This was 2 years ago...I was working for S.A.I.T and I was running out of music to listen to on the train (ride to work and back). At the time I didn't have a working MP3 player and only my cd player. So I was searching through the parents cds and found Heart's greatest hits. Thinking to myself...oh yeah....right...Barracuda! Sure why not. I took it along and fell in love with everything else on that cd. That is when I became a heart fan...on the train.

Jeen O'Brien- Sixties

I saw this girl in Toronto the same time I bought Basement Jaxx. My dad's friend was the manager of Jeen and invited us to the bar to watch a show. I fell in love with the music I was hearing. It was sooo good. It was like Joni Mitchell, which I was into at the time and mixed with rock. That night was def. a life changing experience. Talking to a manger and then talking to Jeen and Hill. It was the coolest thing I had ever done yet. Bonnie gave me both albums of Jeen and also one of Hill's and it felt like a door kinda nudged open (only a little bit)..."yeah this is damn cool...". I will never forget that night. It was awesome. so very awesome.

Postal Service- Give Up

I hated this album. I hated hated hated hated it. Until....

my first snowboarding competition. We were to go to Edmonton for the comp. While driving up everyone except me knew about Postal service and they had the cd. They started playing it and I was like...WTF is this? This is NOT music!? I bitched about it for some time until finally, it was growing on me. Yes we did listen to it over and over for the 3 hours up, then the time going to the hill...coming back and then the 3 hours back to Calgary. By the time we were at my house I was singing along with everyone else. That comp was super fun too. That whole weekend was fun. This album welcomed me to the world of club and electronica... biggrin.gif

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever To Tell

Prom night...I didn't go to that...I said f**k it...I don't do that shit and went to the after grad party instead hahaha. It was held at the ski hill in the ski jumping tower...yeah for real! biggrin.gif and so everyone is getting pissed and it was funny. The coolest DJ was there...DJ Mollyfi, she rocked the house man...I remember going down there to listen for a bit and she was singing to "last night a DJ saved my life..." It was rad. It's always cool to see people so into the music... Anyways for the album...it was after the party when my friends and I decided to leave. We played this cd the whole time. It totally fit the moment... Anyways we searched for a liquor store and none were open...NONE! So we went to my friends house to grab his hookah and found a deserted tree ravine area place to smoke shisha...well...I didn't tongue.gif ...it wasn't good anyways because they were having problems and most of the time they were sucking in water hahahaha and then my friend lit his pants on fire, accidently...it was definately good times... rofl3.gif. Anyways anytime I listen to that album that night comes flooding back. There was a full moon that night. biggrin.gif

District 7- District 7

My first punk show. I went with my band members. It was halarious man. Halarious! It was alright music. Another band was The Buzzing Bees (Which I love and have their album), Honey Rocket...(these girls are f***ing scary but can rock you to death), Passado (great metal band...damn it got crazy when they were on stage...crazy) and then District 7. The singer sounds like those backstreet boy punk band...not bad though...this is when it wasn't "IN". It was great though. I love their music as they were one of the first guys to try it out and the instrumentals are not bad at all! Certainly better today than your average pop punk band.

Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand

During grade 11 and 12 I had a ride to and from school everyday. The main albums during that stage was Franz Ferdinand. I think we played that album a good 50 times until we got sick of it. Def good times in the burb. Doing 140 on crowchild trail and getting home in 10 mins. We had a record once. From our school to my house it took us 5 mins (on a good day of traffic it will take a person about 15-20 mins to get home from my school). No joke. It was unreal. We only played one song from a cd. laugh.gif

Fugazi- 13 Songs

Wow...this is old school. I bought this album during a boxing day sale...I do believe that was in grade 10. Those songs from that cd were my main rush to get me going for snowboarding comps and snowboarding itself. I remember listening to that cd in the car while my friend and I went up to Fairmont to snowboard. This band is sooo old school, I love it. Good times.

The Go Find- Miami

My this is a gem. This was also a huge snowboarding CD. Nationals. I heard a song from them from CJSW (a local indie show)...I loved it right off the bat because I love Postal Service and it was the same type of music. I knew my coach loved The Postal Service...so I gave a copy to her and she loved it. So that year was full of The Go Find. We listened to that cd in antipation for nationals and in defeat going back to Calgary. Plus the bass is rad in this album....that was when I found out that the Lexus had a good stereo system! biggrin.gif

Metric- Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?

Another snowboarding moment...My friend that was in the group showed me Metric. Loved it from the beginning. I remember the one time I was gonna drop into the pipe and she was like...what are you listening to!? I yelled back..."Wet Blanket!" and she smiled. Rad. This album is rad, also their next one Live It Out is so wicked. They put on a very good show too.

Modest Mouse- Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Yet another snowboarding moment lol...can you see a trend? I do...and I love it! YAH! This album was a key album for us (by us I mean my group) 2 years ago. That is all we would sing on the chairlift..."Ice Age heat wave can't complain, if the worlds at large, why should I remain?" and the random moments that people would scream out..."Please bury me with it!" haha good times.

Vailhalen- Pop Violence

I first heard their stuff on CJSW...This album I listened to a lot on the bus ride home from work, last year. I bought this album at sloth records. Such a rad band. It was kinda like a....I don't know if I wanna call it ritual but it was the main album I would always listen to on the way home...it was winter time and it was dark and it just seemed to fit with the mood the cd gave me.

The New Pornopraghers-Twin Cinema

If it wasn't Vailhalen it was this album that took it's place, on the bus ride home. Great Canadian band from Vancouver. I also heard this from CJSW. Basically the same reason I listened to Pop Violence, except it was a more happier version.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- By The Way

Yet again another snowboarding memory. This was one of my coaches fav albums that year. It was on heavy rotation at the COP gym center when we were doing dry land training. I tell ya back flipping in the air with that album is brilliant! biggrin.gif "Minor Thing" was a huge track...good for doing a speed run. Also "Throw Away Your Television" was on heavy rotation for me.

Robert Plant- Mighty Rearranger

Just one thing....BEST CONCERT EVER!

Robert Plant is my f***ing hero. That guy, even now can bring such a presence to the stage it's incredible. The only real and unfortunate memory I have with this album is the fact I listen to this when I was fixing computers at S.A.I.T. Oh and I guess it was around my 18th birthday...I guess thats more important haha. Yeah and then I went to the concert on the 22nd. I wish Mr.Plant would come back to Canada...if not i'm treking to the UK!

The Shins- Oh Inverted World

Another snowboarding album...lol I think I dont need to explain..same deal as the rest.

Slayer-Reign In Blood

*sigh*....errr what can I say...ummm it has to do with snowboarding and an ex boyfriend? laugh.gif haha Well he liked it a lot...slayer is alright...only good for getting pumped up for a run or something...I wouldn't play it for fun..beacuse it isn't fun to listen to...it gives me headaches.

The Stars- Set Yourself On Fire

Grade 12...listened to this while doing math. Never got math. I got music. One of my friends gave me this cd to listen to...she also got me into many other things such as Tegan and Sara, Sondre Lerche, The Stills and Sara Slean. The Stars is such a jazzy rock type album that it's great to listen to anytime.

The Stills- Logic Will Break Your Heart

Another snowboarding/school album. "Changes Are No Good", "Gender Bombs" and "Animals and Insects" were the main tracks that were on every mix cd that we had. This was during my Grade 11th year and also 2nd year into my snowboard club...everything was good! and the music was good! Life was damn good!

System Of A Down-Toxcity

Ah yes...the band that I cannot stand now. Why? Because for 3 f***ing years I spent my life focusing and playing SOAD in my band. I was sooo god damn closed minded those years it's enough to make me feel sick. No wonder I couldn't grasp different music...I listen and breathed this album for too long of a time. In the end we broke up (I did) because no one cared (except for me and the guitarist) and because I couldn't stand listening...yet playing it!... the same thing over and over...they didn't want to change so I said f**k it...I need to focus on something else. So to this day if I hear a song I remember the band...and I laugh...because it was funny. Their new stuff is alright though.

Tegan and Sara- So Jealous

Its so sad that I don't have anything pinned to this yet...It's such a great album...hopefully something down the road will appear.

Treble Charger- Wide Awake Bored

The song "Brand New Low" was the song that I was supposed to play in for the grade 8 talent show...about 2 weeks till the show I had a hard time trying to find the band members to practice with...getting pissed off now...wondering what the f**k happened to them and questioning my ability of playing guitar for them...During a lunch hour...as the music nerd as I am I usually practiced during the lunchtime...(why deal with all the bullshit drama outside?). So I opened my guitar case and there is this extremly long large note from the other guitarist in the band explaining why I wasn't in the band anymore. I don't have the exact paper anymore because I was so pissed off I teared it apart and through it around the room. But I do remember it saying this ..."Allison, the reason why I don't want you in the band is because you are too cool for us...i'm sorry"

TOO COOL!? WTF was this guy talking about!?! I was anything BUT cool back then. So I was even more pissed off about that than being kicked out of the band. LOL! rofl3.gif.

The Weakerthans- Left and Leaving & Reconstruction Site

Another snowboarding one. Coach showed me this band. Again apart of everything that we did in our group.

Broken Social Scene- You Forgot It In People

I almost forgot about this one! This is another one that my coach found.

Jack Johnson- In Between Dreams

That morning on the day of Nationals...I scarfed down my carpet tasting bagel, threw on my gear...grabbed all the things that were considered lucky, tucked them into my jacket pocket. Talked to my snowboard for a bit (for real). Made my way to the village...grabbed my bib...#81...got on the chair...no one else was there...it was just me and my friend. And guess what was blaring in the distance?...Jack Johnson. It was dumping so much...oh man what a day. I got a free sled ride too! It was wicked!

It's funny how most of this relates to snowboarding...I didn't notice how many albums were connected with it. Snowboarding means so much more to me now than it ever did. It's here to stay. And yes I agree with Sean...Music is powerful. It can send you back instantly to when you first played it. It's awesome. I love it.

A few artists that didn't have an impact on me with their albums but rather their singles

Jamiroquoi- Canned Heat

Groove Armada- Super Stylin'

Groove Armada-My Friend

Deep Purple- Highway Star

A lot of At The Drive-In was used for the first couple years of snowboarding

Big L- Fall Back (Featuring Kool G Rap)

Blur- Coffee and TV

Death Cab For Cutie

Desaparecidos

The Faint

her space holiday

Iron Maiden

Oasis- Wonderwall

Ok Go- Get Over It

Pinback

The Pixies- Monkey Gone To Heaven

Porcupine Tree- Prodigal

Sparta

Tilly and the Wall

Wassabi Collective

Kate Ryan-"Libertine" ...the story behind this one was at nationals...this one girl who was a coach for calgary snowboard club...shes french and she was showing us some tracks and they were cool! It was french dance music...COOL! so now I like Kate Ryan.

Pink Floyd - Animals- I had this one on 8-track ( along with Black Sabbath- Paranoid and Zeppelin 1) to begin with at the age of 9 or 10 or so. It s probably not the most wholesome music for a young lad to listen to but such was the case...still my favorite floyd to this day.

Fly by night- another 8 track and I think my first Rush ablum at 9 or 10. I started thinking this was cool. alot of the long hair burn outs in my section of suburbia in Buffalo NY were big into Rush as I was impressed.....seemed like some good deviant music.

All the worlds astage- on vinyl, i remember being happy that it was recorded on my birthday, June 11th. I was hooked on Rush now.

Hemispheres- red vinyl version, from my first ( for lack of a better term, girlfriend) Listening to circumstances repeatedly.

Fear -The Record- "The" punk record of all time for me. vulgarity like I had never heard and I liked it.

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Second Helping ( ar any of them) I love skynyrd, many people scoff when you saw how great and meaningful their lyrics are but they ring true with me.

Signals- moved from NY to NC. My ass had been detached and subdivided.

Charlie Daniels Band- Nightrider. Rock/Country/Attitiude/Beauty awesome record.

talking heads remain in light- holy shit! a college favorite as was the Tom tom club.

Rick James Greatest hits- a true genius and another college favorite.

Steel Pulse- True Democracy- fancying myself a white rastafarian/hippy during my college days i listened to a lot of reggae, this ithe best of the best IMO.

Public Enemy- It takes a Nation of Million of hold us back. Got into PE after learning that Vernon Reid played on their first disc. I saw it takes a Nation of Millions tour.... groundbreaking disc in my estimation.

Steely Dan- Katy Lied- crazy music for crazy people. me like. like the one below, therapeutic.

Megadeth-so far, so good, so what?- In my darkest hour helped me through mine. If you know, you know. saw this tour as well.

Steve Vai- Passion and Warfare- the man. end of discusssion IMO.

Dream Theater- Images and Words. I recall watching headbangers ball and I think it was "take the time" came on and I was like finally!

Ozric Tentacles- Arboresesence. Had this disc given to me, i listened and liked it. Later i drove three hours down to Boulder Co, and about 30 seconds into the show my jaw was on the ground!! I could not believe what I was witnesssing. Crazy world beats mingled with techno keyboards and heavy metal guitar work. It was like nothing i had ever seen. If you like insane instrumental music, check them out.

I think i will stop now...............

Edited by tangdog

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 21 2006, 06:18 PM)
talking heads remain in light- holy shit! a college favorite as was the Tom tom club.

Do you have "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads?" That's a live retrospective that goes through Remain in Light. 2 discs, almost 3 hours of stuff. A much better representation of their live work than Stop Making Sense IMO. You should check that out if you don't have it.

Kiss Alive l

Rush - ESL

Van Halen ll

Frampton Comes Alive

The Beatles - Stg. Pepper

Return To Forever - The Romantic Warrior

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 21 2006, 10:46 PM)

Do you have "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads?" That's a live retrospective that goes through Remain in Light. 2 discs, almost 3 hours of stuff. A much better representation of their live work than Stop Making Sense IMO. You should check that out if you don't have it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out. I need to rebuild my Heads collection, used to have it all on vinyl. Fear of Music was another of my Talking Heads favorites.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 21 2006, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 21 2006, 10:46 PM)

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out. I need to rebuild my Heads collection, used to have it all on vinyl. Fear of Music was another of my Talking Heads favorites.

Oh, the first 5 albums are great, up through Speaking in Tongues. After that it gets kind of patchy IMO.

But definitely cehck that live album out.

QUOTE (Maddy @ Aug 21 2006, 08:10 PM)
The Church - Starfish and Gold Afternoon Fix

Hey Maddy, I got "Gold Afternoon Fix". That is a good album and I have memories attached to it. Two of my fave tunes from this album is "Laughing" and "Fading Away". It's so early 90's.

Here's just a few Rock albums (I won't get into Jazz and Soul or else there'd be too many!):

Rush "Power Windows" - first Rush album I ever heard.

Rush "Moving Pictures" - the 2nd. And the one that really drew me in, leading me down the road to total Rush fanboy!

The Beatles "Abbey Road" - thanks to my folks, the Beatles were already familiar before I even started buying records. It seems like I've always loved em.

Husker Du "Zen Arcade"

Minutemen "Double Nickels On The Dime"

The Clash "London Calling"

Bad Brains "Rock For Light"

- despite my love of Rush, punk was what helped me survive high school in the '80s. These were and are monumental albums.

The Stooges "Funhouse" - the greatest ROCK album ever made. God bless Iggy.

Metallica "Master of Puppets"

Slayer "Reign In Blood"

Iron Maiden "Powerslave"

Motorhead "Ace of Spades"

As a punk, it was easy to ridicule metal in the '80s, particularly hair bands. These proved to me that there was metal, then there was METAL!

Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation" - expands my eardrums and my mind. Unbelievable.

The Birthday Party "Junkyard" - Nick Cave's first band. The most dangerous sound on the planet. Evil and twisted.

XTC "Black Sea" - punk/new wave meets The Beatles. How could I not love it?

The Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society" - an overlooked gem that I discovered about 10 years ago. To this day its perfection stands up against anything else out there.

Goldfrapp "Felt Mountain" - the most amazing and beautiful record I've heard in years. It's pure bliss. Allison Goldfrapp's voice is a drug.

The Futureheads "The Futureheads" - an amazing debut by a band I think is the best new rock band out there.

Theres a few albums that really effected me and changed the way I listen to music.

Sublime - Sublime

- This was the first album and band I really played to death, all starting from seeing the Wrong Way video on MTV, back when they actually played videos. Before I was into Sublime, it had pretty much been just the 90's dance/pop stuff that was played on Z104, a station that I had no business listening to, but just because I saw so many commercials, I thought I would check it out. Thank you Sublime for making me stop listening to Savage Garden. *shudders

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

- After Sublime, I got into a bit of a metal phase in my life, listening to a lot of Metallica and Iron Maiden. This album was probably the one that got the most rotation and inspired me to learn bass guitar.

Rush - Moving Pictures/Permanent Waves

- I kinda see these albums as being one in the same, as I bought them both the same day and both acted as my introduction to Rush. After this, I became obsessed with Rush as everyone here has at some point as well, for about 4 years. Its very hard for me to listen to Rush much anymore though as they have been played to death for me.

Pink Floyd - Animals

- The dire bleakness of this album really drew me in, probably the darkest album they had written. I dont think I had heard an album quite as depressing at the level this one can get to, and that organic sound of the acoustic guitars with the atmosphere of the keyboards appealed to me instantly. This was also the first Pink Floyd album I had bought and my introduction to them.

The Who - Quadrophenia

- I dont think any other album I have owned has connected to me as much this one has, this album was me. I probably have listened to this album more times then any other, and will still continue to years from now even after I outgrow other bands.

David Bowie - Earthling

- This was my first Bowie album, and the album that really changed me from listening to classic and prog rock to other styles of music. Very electronic and experimental sounding, as he has always been, this opened the door for me to get into more new wave.

Every Move A Picture - Signs Of Life EP

- This was my favorite local band for quite a while, up to this point I have seen them nearly a dozen times. These guys are pure 80's new wave revival, but extremely entrancing live, you cant not dance to them. They also showed me just how much a thriving music scene San Francisco has, which I continue to take full advantage of.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

- One of the most amazing bands to come out of the 21st century, this album will be regarded as a classic years from now I am sure of.

The Cure - Disintegration

- This and Pornography are 2 just incredible for thier darkness. Robert Smith has an extreme talent for tapping into this aspect of life.

Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses

- My first Depeche Mode album and while not as consistant as Violator or SOFAD, there are some really stunning feelings the synths create, some of their best work is on this album.

Peter Gabriel - So

- My introduction to Peter Gabriel was through this one, Red Rain

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

- I always thought of her as the female Peter Gabriel, it just amazed me how weird and experimental she got with this one.

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

- While I had loved The Downward Spiral for years, The Fragile gave the anger and destruction from TDS a more human and desperate feel. Far more revealing an album from Trent with some amazing texturing.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness

- One of the very first albums I ever owned, I have many memories associated with the songs on this one.

Loop!Station - Obey Your Signal

- Another local band I fell in love with, these guys are nothing like rock music at all. Its a guy on cello and a female singer who could do opera, but the layering they do in studio and on stage with what little they have to work with floors me. Extremely powerful classical and jazz based music, probably the greatest band I have heard that will never make it anywhere because thier music is so far out of the mainstream.

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

- At least of the last few days, this album I cant stop listening to. Defintaly the best album I have heard this year, and proof that great music still exists to this day.

Ohhh I really could keep going, but these are the ones that pop into my mind right now

I'd explain my list, but it's difficult to do and many of them are personal anyway. It's like you had to be there to "get" why I find some of these albums to be special to me.

Rush - Signals

Bob Marley - Legend

Love and Rockets - Express

OMD - Crush

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration

Oingo Boing - Dead Man's Party

Yeah I was and still am into the 80's techno/new wave big time!

Rush - A Farewell To Kings - Just my all time favorite album, from anyone. Xanadu is the best song in history. Listening to this album brings back alot of memories, for each song. When i heard Xanadu for the 2nd time in about 10 years, i was like "this is the song i was looking for".

Rush - Moving Pictures - One of the best albums ever, because it never has a bad moment, and every second of it is excellent. the musicianship, and hard work put into this album really pays off. It sums up Rush's technical ability.

Rush - Hemispheres, Permanent Waves - These are also favorites of mine, because of all the great songs from them.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - The definitive rock album of all time. I'm almost in tears when i hear "Us and Them", the part where everyone sings. This almost defines music

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - The Ultimate tribute to Syd. my favorite album from Pink Floyd, for the great emotion it gives off, and for the purely great instrumentation.

Rush - Power Windows - this album is what essentially got me into the techno Rush. I owe it alot of thanks.

Metallica - Master of Puppets - One of the best metal albums ever released. what kind of followup could they have done if Cliff was still alive?

King Crimson - Red - This is probably one of the most heaviest progressive rock albums, ever. It is one of the most listenable KC albums. From the Instrumental "Red" to the epic "Starless", it shows off techinal virtuosity, and incredible complexity.

Honorable Mentions go out to:

Led Zeppelin - 2

Led Zeppelin - 4

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Here goes.

Queen - The Works - This is a poor album when I listen to it today, but when I first heard Radio GaGa and saw the video, it transformed me from a shy, bumbling tit of a thing into someone who had a passion, which was Queen. I'll always remember that album fondly.

Taste - Live at the Isle of Wight - an introduction to Rory Gallagher and walking home on long summer nights wailing the guitar solos with a couple of buddies.

Led Zeppelin 2 - The awakening. I had Vol 4 but hadn't "got it". got the best of Billy Joel for Christmas, so I sold it the following day and bought LZ 2. The rest is history.

The Yes Album - I had bought Classic Yes on LP and was transfixed, the Yes Album was the first CD I ever bought.

Husker Du - Hew Day Rising - punk with a heart and a brain.

Pink Floyd - The Wall/The Final Cut - As a moody 16 year old, these were the bibles of angst I was looking for.

Planxty - The Black Album - I was always suspicious of Irish trad music, but this cleared some very muddy waters for me, as did Andy Irvine and Paul Brady's "Purple" album.

Genesis - Trick of the Tail - my first Genesis album, even though it was only a couple of years ago that I decided to really" get into them.

Soundgarden - Superunknown - See Pink Floyd quote and switch 16 with 23

Nick Drake - 5 Leaves Left/Bryter Layter/Pink Moon - Albums for every mood I've ever had.

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - REM - Green - Pixies - Come On Pilgrim - Television - Marquee Moon - my 1st year college soundtrack.

There's a lot more, but that will do for now.