Cocteau Twins

rushfanNlv

I fell in love with this band at age 18 while working as a bus boy in a restaurant. During our pre opening set up routine, the waiter I worked for would listen to this airy, hipnotic and angelic sounding music. Being the rocker that I am, I hated it at first but the amazing voice and the guitar work just was too much to ignore so I quickly became a fan.

I've seen them live twice and they were amazing both times. They are no longer together but they live on via my Windows Media Player. wub.gif

So, any fans?

I like them. The radio station I used to DJ for would play "Bluebeard" on the air, and I have the album that song came from. (Don't remember the title; it was mostly blue, with lots of jacks and knick-knacks all over it.)

The vocals sound terrific, although you can't always make out what she is saying.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2006, 02:20 PM)
I have the album that "Bluebeard" came from. (Don't remember the title; it was mostly blue, with lots of jacks and knick-knacks all over it.)

Looked it up. The album I have is Four-Calendar Cafe.

I used to be a HUGE cocteau twins fan, and when I saw this thread I did a search to see if I had previously started a thread about them as I thought I had, but I never did. I only mentioned them a few times, most notably in a "disrespected bands" thread.

I first heard them at around age 21 when a girl I liked lent me some of their cassettes. I eventually picked up everything by them (even though I never did bother to get Garlands on cd) including ALL their ep's and obscure tracks, as well as some bootlegs. I have the box set, and I even have Snow. I think I have literally every song they've ever done on cd except for Garlands. I just knew if I got that album I would never listen to it, so I never bothered with it on CD. Their first album was a bit too primitive for me.

Besides that, they were beautiful, ethereal and mesmerizing. I was constantly in amazement with what Elizabeth Fraser could do with her voice and what Robin Guthrie could do with his guitar.

My favorite albums are Victorialand and Four-Calendar Cafe, but they really were all pretty consistent after Garlands. Sadly, some of their VERY best tracks were the last ones they ever did, being extra tracks on the ep's that came from their last album, Milk & Kisses, or were available only on compilations. Songs like Flock of Soul, Tranquil Eye, Smile, Alice, Circling Girl, Round, An Elan and Touch Upon Touch are more beautiful than should be allowed. They were supposedly about half finished with a new album when they broke up, and I can only imagine how good that stuff must have been. They've claimed they'll never release that stuff.

For a two or three year period in the mid to late 90's, I hung out on the online Cocteau Twins message board a LOT before I eventually lost interest sometime after the band broke up. There just wasn't much to talk about anymore, and unlike a place like TRF, there weren't huge off-topic sub-forums to entertain me.

Anyway, I rarely, rarely listen to their stuff anymore as I'm so caught up in my 60's and 70's music pursuits that I rarely re-visit the rare 80's and 90's music I've enjoyed in the past (of which there isn't much of comparitively), but every once in awhile I'll put them on and be swept away...

Edited by rushgoober

Ah - I just posted on the Sigur Ros thread recommending the Cocteaus then I spotted this one.

As well as Four Calendar Cafe as loved by Goob, can I also mention in dispatches Heaven or Las Vegas? Brill!

smile.gif

QUOTE (Mrs Highlander @ Jul 30 2006, 10:13 PM)
Ah - I just posted on the Sigur Ros thread recommending the Cocteaus then I spotted this one.

As well as Four Calendar Cafe as loved by Goob, can I also mention in dispatches Heaven or Las Vegas? Brill!

smile.gif

Aye, they're both alright............................ unsure.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 27 2006, 07:36 AM)
Anyway, I rarely, rarely listen to their stuff anymore as I'm so caught up in my 60's and 70's music pursuits that I rarely re-visit the rare 80's and 90's music I've enjoyed in the past

It's amazing how everything comes around again!

Lately I've been in a post-1970's listening music phase, rediscovering all my awesome 80's and 90's music (of which I don't have a tremendous amount of) I forgot about for awhile.

This led me back to my absolute favorite post-1970's group, The Cocteau Twins! Before starting my own thread, I did a search and found one that already existed and that I even had posted in previously. ohmy.gif

All I can say is WOW what an amazing stupendous group this was! yes.gif biggrin.gif

Their music is transportive and stunning. I'm working on creating a best of cd of my favorite songs of theirs (for my own personal use), and we're talking about 3 hours of material I've come up with so far - that's 3 cd's of best of tracks only!

Ethereal, dreamy, ecstatic - there is NOTHING like the music of the Cocteau Twins. This was a group that broke the mold and actually seemed to get better from album to album. That made it even more of a shame when they broke up - they likely still had their finest work ahead of them, even though it's hard to imagine anything better than some of their latter works.

Listening to music with (really beautiful) singing that either doesn't involve lyrics or are sung in such a way that you can't make out most or often all of it is odd to say the least, and can make them a bit of an acquired taste (even though it didn't take me long personally). My wife who loves to analyze lyrics is somewhat mistifyed by them. Definitely very non-linear music that is purely emotional and atmospheric, yet powerful.

Anyway, check them out if you can. They don't sound like anything you've ever heard before and they might have to grow on you. The best starting places are either Blue Bell Knoll, Heaven or Las Vegas, Four-Calendar Cafe or Milk & Kisses...

Edited by rushgoober

I don't think I can add to what has already been said well, other than that I too am a HUGE Cocteau Twins fan.

I don't see why Cocteau Twins wouldn't be in any prog-rock fans collection. What Liz and Robin did with thier voice and guitar are groundbreaking and amazing!

I became an instant fan when I saw the video for Evangeline on MTV's 120 Minutes back in '93.

Another taste... Pandora from the Treasure album.

I highly recommend Treasure, Four Calender Cafe, Victorialand, Blue Bell Knoll, Heaven Or Las Vegas, and Milk & Kisses.

So sad they are no more.

I like some of their songs like "Carolyn's Fingers" and "Ice Blink Luck". It's easy to see they were at the forefront of the shoe gazer scene.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 28 2011, 09:21 AM)
I like some of their songs like "Carolyn's Fingers" and "Ice Blink Luck". It's easy to see they were at the forefront of the shoe gazer scene.

they actually pre-dated that scene, and by enough years that they were one of the 'godfathers' of it, even though they were still active during those years

I was just starting to go to clubs to see shows regularly in the late 80's/early 90's

I saw Lush, Curve, Blonde Redhead and Kitchens Of Distinction every chance I got, but I never considered Cocteau Twins an active part of that loose 'scene' at all

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 28 2011, 03:10 PM)

they actually pre-dated that scene, and by enough years that they were one of the 'godfathers' of it, even though they were still active during those years

I was just starting to go to clubs to see shows regularly in the late 80's/early 90's

I saw Lush, Curve, Blonde Redhead and Kitchens Of Distinction every chance I got, but I never considered Cocteau Twins an active part of that loose 'scene' at all

They weren't part of it, but they helped instigate it. The guitar work in Cocteau Twins is practically identical to Lush.

However, My Bloody Valentine, a very different kind of sound instigated the whole guitar distortion and are also credited as the source of shoegaze.

(and while I'm thinking about it...)

these have been the 'top ten' CT/CT-related songs for me for some time

and as always, subject to flux...

The Ghost Has No Home - from Budd/Raymonde/Guthrie/Fraser

The Itchy Glowbo Blow - from Blue Bell Knoll

Fifty-Fifty Clown - from Heaven Or Las Vegas

Road River & Rail - from Heaven Or Las Vegas

Know Who You Are At Every Age - from Four-Calendar Cafe

Theft & Wandering Around Lost - from Four-Calendar Cafe

Three Swept - from the Bluebeard single

Teardrop - from Massive Attack's Mezzanine

Group Four (Mad Professor remix) - from Massive Attack's 90/98 singles box set

Roach - from Elisabeth Fraser's solo album demos (unreleased sad.gif )

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 28 2011, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 28 2011, 03:10 PM)

They weren't part of it, but they helped instigate it. The guitar work in Cocteau Twins is practically identical to Lush.

However, My Bloody Valentine, a very different kind of sound instigated the whole guitar distortion and are also credited as the source of shoegaze.

right

we're (almost) making the same point trink38.gif

Yeah, "ice blink luck" sounds every bit like Lush.

With shoe gaze there were variations. My Bloody Valentine weren't the gentle pussycats that Cocteau Twins were. MBV put more "rock" into their tunes. Belinda Butcher's singing style is inspired by Suzanne Vega (according to their guitarist who loved Suzanne's vocal style).

I LOVE Cocteau Twins. wub.gif I simply cannot pick a favourite of theirs as it is all so good. Elizabeth Fraser is my favourite vocalist ever, though. yes.gif wub.gif notworthy.gif Edited by Show Don't Tell