Firefly / Serenity

GeddyRulz

I know this cancelled TV show (and the movie made from it) had a cult following, and since there's so many Sci-Fi fans on this board (and fans of "cult" things!), I figured there must be "Firefly" and/or "Serenity" fans here. Who's a fan? How rabid?

I recently borrowed the "complete series" DVD from my brother-in-law, and I'm enjoying watching the episodes at my own pace. A lot of the episdoes have been good, but I just watched one today called "Our Mrs. Reynolds" which I thought was fantastic! I'm getting into it...

For those who are unfamiliar with the show but curious, here's my take: the show combines elements of Science Fiction and Western/Adventure. The action takes place in a future year, where - as the back of the DVD says - "there's a whole new frontier, and the crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity want to stake their claim." Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his ragtag crew will take any job and transport anything aboard their transport ship - even some jobs and some cargos that are illegal - in order to earn money to eat and keep fuel in the tanks. (They're kinda like Han Solo the smuggler, before he met Luke and Leia.) The crew must watch out for the totalitarian military government - the Alliance - who are hunting for one of the ship's passengers, and the flesh-eating beings known as the Reavers. Things can get pretty exciting.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001B3YTM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(The crew of Serenity, L to R: Jayne, River, Simon, Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds, Inara, Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, and Shepherd Book)

Edited by GeddyRulz

I saw some of this show, it was all right, and I did like the concept of a 'space western'. Whedon is a good writer, but he tends to get a little too cutesy for my tastes. I have to say, though, that I really liked 'Serenity'.

Loved the show, loved the movie, miss it horribly, wish the movie would have raked in $300 mil like it deserved to so they could make more movies and/or resurrect the series.

Alas, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Still, I miss it.

Schro

"... but you put them all together, you got a firefly. Thing'll run forever, they got a mechanic even half awake."

I've watched all the episodes on the "complete series" DVD, and I've gone back to the beginning to watch them again! They're much better the second time around - you understand the characters, their history, and the conversation style they use, so you can catch more. I've also bought my own copy of "Serenity."

This show was awesome.

I'm not much of a sci-fi person or anything , but recently I found out about this show and I loved it . The movie was great also and very sad as it turned out. We can only hope for a new season of Firefly but that might not happen........... sad.gif

I got hooked on this show in September by my EX.

He had all the episodes... and we would watch one a night.

THEN went to see the movie.

I am hooked and bought the movie when it came out... DAY it came out.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

I'm almost embarassed to say how long its taken me to finally getting around to watching this. However, I finally got hold of both the Firefly box set and the Serenity DVD and I'm totally hooked. Let's just hope that someone sees the light and brings its back in some form or other soon.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 5 2008, 01:10 PM)
I'm almost embarassed to say how long its taken me to finally getting around to watching this. However, I finally got hold of both the Firefly box set and the Serenity DVD and I'm totally hooked. Let's just hope that someone sees the light and brings its back in some form or other soon.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 24 2006, 02:46 PM)
I know this cancelled TV show (and the movie made from it) had a cult following, and since there's so many Sci-Fi fans on this board (and fans of "cult" things!), I figured there must be "Firefly" and/or "Serenity" fans here. Who's a fan? How rabid?

I recently borrowed the "complete series" DVD from my brother-in-law, and I'm enjoying watching the episodes at my own pace. A lot of the episdoes have been good, but I just watched one today called "Our Mrs. Reynolds" which I thought was fantastic! I'm getting into it...

For those who are unfamiliar with the show but curious, here's my take: the show combines elements of Science Fiction and Western/Adventure. The action takes place in a future year, where - as the back of the DVD says - "there's a whole new frontier, and the crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity want to stake their claim." Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his ragtag crew will take any job and transport anything aboard their transport ship - even some jobs and some cargos that are illegal - in order to earn money to eat and keep fuel in the tanks. (They're kinda like Han Solo the smuggler, before he met Luke and Leia.) The crew must watch out for the totalitarian military government - the Alliance - who are hunting for one of the ship's passengers, and the flesh-eating beings known as the Reavers. Things can get pretty exciting.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001B3YTM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
(The crew of Serenity, L to R: Jayne, River, Simon, Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds, Inara, Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, and Shepherd Book)

GeddyRulz, you are fast becoming one of my favorites!

I have the book, Finding Serenity, the movie Serenity and the four-disc Firefly set. I was surprised that I loved Firefly so much. From the series I got into the movie and from the movie I got into the book. I didn't really like the book so much but the TV series was awesome! The show wasn't something I would have considered watching, honestly, but one of my theatre co-workers basically wouldn't leave me alone until I watched it. I'm glad she forced it down my gullet because, seriously, I found I really enjoyed the show.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 5 2008, 03:22 PM)
GeddyRulz, you are fast becoming one of my favorites!

blush4.gif

At my wife's behest, I'm giving the show a second chance. I watched the pilot last night and I'll probably watch a couple more tonight.

Huge FireFly fan, in fact my fav episode, Objects in Space, is sitting on the TivoHD right now, grabbed it off UniHD over the holidays and watched it a couple times. Love the DVD set and was glad to see the Serenity movie finally got the special edition treatment it deserved.

I think one of the main reasons it took me so long was the fact that Firefly has not yet had a terrestrial or freeview airing in the UK - to the best of my knowledge, its only been shown on the UK Sci-Fi channel which, even when I had satellite, I didn't tend to watch as it was, on the whole, pretty poor viewing (most days the highlight was the 1999 TV version of 'The Lost World'). However, three main names piqued my interest.

Joss Whedon, of course - I've been a big fan of Buffy since it first aired on BBC2 and, every now and agin, I'll dig out my DVDs and give them a spin.

Nathan Fillion - his performance as Caleb in Buffy Season 7 was brilliant. Of course, at the time, I didn't realise that Buffy Season 7 was following on after Firefly had been cancelled but there you go.

Gina Torres - likewise with Nathan Fillion, she came to my attention post-Firefly when she appeared in Angel, Season 4 as Jasmine.

However, like I said, I'm totally hooked now and the various DVDs are on almost continuous rotation at home (except when my kids come round as its a bit adult for them.

Finally, I'd just like to say that those who cancelled it are a load of 脑子死的非法蠢人

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 6 2008, 01:54 PM)
I think one of the main reasons it took me so long was the fact that Firefly has not yet had a terrestrial or freeview airing in the UK - to the best of my knowledge, its only been shown on the UK Sci-Fi channel which, even when I had satellite, I didn't tend to watch as it was, on the whole, pretty poor viewing (most days the highlight was the 1999 TV version of 'The Lost World'). However, three main names piqued my interest.

Joss Whedon, of course - I've been a big fan of Buffy since it first aired on BBC2 and, every now and agin, I'll dig out my DVDs and give them a spin.

Nathan Fillion - his performance as Caleb in Buffy Season 7 was brilliant. Of course, at the time, I didn't realise that Buffy Season 7 was following on after Firefly had been cancelled but there you go.

Gina Torres - likewise with Nathan Fillion, she came to my attention post-Firefly when she appeared in Angel, Season 4 as Jasmine.

However, like I said, I'm totally hooked now and the various DVDs are on almost continuous rotation at home (except when my kids come round as its a bit adult for them.

Finally, I'd just like to say that those who cancelled it are a load of 脑子死的非法蠢人

Let's not forget the lovely Jewel Staite who plays Kaylee. She's got that "girl next door" quality and I've always been a sucker for that.

Hmm, I wanted to post a pic of her, but Photobucket seems to be having issues today. All those interested in seeing what she looks like should do an image search.

Also, check out Nathan Fillion in 'Slither'. I didn't think I'd like that movie, but it was pretty damn funny. He plays the sheriff and has some of the best lines I've heard in a movie recently.

Oh, and a little trivia: did you know that Gina Torres is married to Lawrence Fishburne?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 6 2008, 06:41 PM)
Let's not forget the lovely Jewel Staite who plays Kaylee. She's got that "girl next door" quality and I've always been a sucker for that.

Hmm, I wanted to post a pic of her, but Photobucket seems to be having issues today. All those interested in seeing what she looks like should do an image search.

Will this do for you?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/serenity/250px-Ff_kaylee.jpg

and just to let those who haven't watched know what they're missing out on, we also have:

Morena Baccarin as Inara

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/serenity/250px-Inara_Serra1.jpg

Summer Glau as River

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/serenity/280px-Summerglau.jpg

Gina Torres as Zoe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/serenity/Zoe23.jpg

And, because I couldn't resist it, all four of them together

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/serenity/firefly_serenity_movie_promotional_.jpg

OK, the two adults in this household LOVE some "Firefly/Serenity."

I think we only have the movie but wouldn't mind having the series sitting around.

Yes the ladies are talented and lovely, but let's not forget the men folk here.

Nathan Fillion as Capt. Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds; Ron Glass as Shepherd Book; Adam Baldwin as Jayne Cobb; Sean Maher as Dr. Simon Tam and Alan Tudyk as Hoban "Wash" Washburne.

I think my favorite quirky aspect of this show is that Chinese is depicted as the universal language, not English, and that "companions" (prostitutes) such as Inara are often revered in the culture. (Morena Baccarin plays Inara)

Great, interesting show. Wish they would pull it back together for a short run or another movie.

I absolutely love this show/movie. The characters are awesome. And it is hilarious and action packed at the same time!

I'm a huge Whedon fan. I was majorly addicted to Buffy/Angel. I thought I'd be all over this show, but for some reason, previews never bit me hard enough for me to check it out.

My son keeps telling me that it's awesome and I need to check it out. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Can you watch the movie without having seen the series?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 8 2008, 10:16 AM)
I'm a huge Whedon fan. I was majorly addicted to Buffy/Angel. I thought I'd be all over this show, but for some reason, previews never bit me hard enough for me to check it out.

My son keeps telling me that it's awesome and I need to check it out. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Can you watch the movie without having seen the series?

You can. The movie stands on it's own. But you in enjoy it a lot more, knowing what has happened before Serenity. The characters mean a lot more. There isn't a lot of room in an action sci fi movie for major character development.

Incidentally, Joss Whedon is still working on Firefly. He's just released a three-issue comic called 'Better Days' which acts as a prequel to the Serenity cinematic outing.

Here's the SFX review:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/serenity/BetterDays-SFX-168.jpg