Shark jumping moments

Slime

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 19 2006, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 19 2006, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2006, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 20 2006, 12:22 AM)
As I recall, "jump the shark" originated with the sitcom Happy Days when Fonzie was dared to jump over a cage of sharks while the cast of the show was visiting California, for whatever reason.

When that happened, the show's popularity began to fall.

laugh.gif

I was JUST writing about this incident when I saw your post. yes.gif

Great mind think alike! wink.gif smile.gif

I've also heard of such a thing as "jump the couch" which has a similar premise as "jump the shark" except it signifies the moment when a given celebrity starts doing strange things. It's based on Tom Cruise's Oprah episode wherein he jumped her couch.

'Jump the couch'! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

well little story for ya , when i saw a thread a few months back in random samples called "jump the couch" i thought to myself , jump the couch , thats stupid. then i thought , i have the new catch phrase ! and thus BAKE THE ROLLS WAS BORN ! 1022.gif i know some peeps know here know thats the origin but for the ones who didnt. laugh.gif

Some would argue that Seinfeld never jumped the shark, but I couldn't say. Same with Friends.

Regarding a show I was a huge fan of in the mid to late '90s, ER, I have to say that it started to jump the shark after Anthony Edwards left and his character died of a brain tumor. At that point, the only original cast member all the way from the beginning was Noah Wyle and he left the end of last year's season. Many would argue it is still a good show, but I have been finding it difficult to gain interest as most of the characters I remember are gone and many of the story lines seem repeated.

Even CSI, which was an amazing show when it started, has seemed to become a little stale and has been losing credibility with all the spin offs. What's next? CSI: BFE?

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jul 21 2006, 07:13 AM)
Some would argue that Seinfeld never jumped the shark, but I couldn't say. Same with Friends.

Regarding a show I was a huge fan of in the mid to late '90s, ER, I have to say that it started to jump the shark after Anthony Edwards left and his character died of a brain tumor. At that point, the only original cast member all the way from the beginning was Noah Wyle and he left the end of last year's season. Many would argue it is still a good show, but I have been finding it difficult to gain interest as most of the characters I remember are gone and many of the story lines seem repeated.

Even CSI, which was an amazing show when it started, has seemed to become a little stale and has been losing credibility with all the spin offs. What's next? CSI: BFE?

I'm still surprised that "ER" is still running. It is probably dying from a slow painful death.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 21 2006, 11:37 AM)
ER jumped for me when Clooney left. With him gone you lost the whole Ross/Green dynamic that was one of the show's strong points.

I remember when Kelli Martin joined the cast. Yuck! 062802puke_prv.gif

Apparently many people shared my opinion and was justifiably killed off.

Good Times: I guess would be after John Amos (James Evans, Sr.) left the show. But one of the stupidest episodes, which aired the first season without John Amos, was when J.J. aided this short red-haired comedienne try to land herself a career. Um, "Send in the Clowns" was sung by her onstage. While this performance may have been good, it just did not fit in with the overall format of the show.

Interestingly, the first 2 episodes of this first season without James was among the very best. Here we find out in this two part episode that James had been killed in a car accident as the family was preparing to move to Mississippi. The second episode was primarily about Florida Evans dealing with the death of her husband. For the majority of the episode, Florida has not yet comprehended what has happened and therefore hasn't accepted James' death, until the very end of the episode when reality hits her. She put on probably the best performance of her career in this scene.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jul 19 2006, 07:51 PM)
Jump the Shark is one of the funniest sites around. I visit it quite often for a good laugh

on the Ted McGinley front, he was not the kiss of death for Married...with Children. That would have been when they decided to add that annoying kid Seven. adding kids always tends to be the death sentence for any show- witness what happened to the Cosby Show when that little brat Raven Simone was added to the cast, went straight down the crapper, as did the Brady Bunch with the addition of Oliver.

McGinley is a very good, funny actor....just seems weird that when he joins a series that has already been established, the show seems to jump. Maybe it's that the show had already jumped the shark, but once the new character has been added it seems much more noticable.....almsot sad that ted McGinley has become the patron saint of shark jumping, and yet it is really funny.

Oh, and Family Guy jumped with the episode that had Tom Brady making a guest appearance.....what a horrible excuse for a Family Guy episode. Not funny at all.

Seven, not Five...I knew it was a number. My bad...

Ted McGinley was hilarious on Married...With Children. I loved it when Marcy admitted she'd gotten married in Vegas and had no idea what the guy looked like...

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jul 21 2006, 07:13 AM)

LOL, on the 'Jumped the Shark' website, most people voted that Friends never jumped the shark.......the second most popular vote was that it jumped the shark on the first episode! rofl3.gif

My favorite shows never jumped: Soap, Cheers, Seinfeld...