Shark jumping moments

Slime

I just saw a clip of a Family Guy episode where Brian gets out the Banana suit and does the "peanut butter jelly" routine. I honestly lost about fifty points of respect for FG that night, and it will never come back. The other FG episodes laden with references at the expense of original jokes were forgiveable, but with that clip i think FG just jumped the shark. Unless I'm horribly mistaken and they somehow invented that routine, but I doubt it.

www.jumptheshark.com if you need an explanation. Pretty cool website that features pretty much every show you could think of from American television.

Share your shark jumping moments here!

'Family Guy' jumped the shark when they brought back the series. None of the new eps have been as funny as the originals.

As I recall, "jump the shark" originated with the sitcom Happy Days when Fonzie was dared to jump over a cage of sharks while the cast of the show was visiting California, for whatever reason.

When that happened, the show's popularity began to fall.

When I get time I'll post my own opinions of when particular "jumped the shark".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 20 2006, 12:22 AM)
As I recall, "jump the shark" originated with the sitcom Happy Days when Fonzie was dared to jump over a cage of sharks while the cast of the show was visiting California, for whatever reason.

laugh.gif

I was JUST writing about this incident when I saw your post. yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2006, 11:26 AM)

laugh.gif

Great mind think alike! wink.gif smile.gif

I've also heard of such a thing as "jump the couch" which has a similar premise as "jump the shark" except it signifies the moment when a given celebrity starts doing strange things. It's based on Tom Cruise's Oprah episode wherein he jumped her couch.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 19 2006, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2006, 11:26 AM)

laugh.gif

Great mind think alike! wink.gif smile.gif

I've also heard of such a thing as "jump the couch" which has a similar premise as "jump the shark" except it signifies the moment when a given celebrity starts doing strange things. It's based on Tom Cruise's Oprah episode wherein he jumped her couch.

'Jump the couch'! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 19 2006, 10:22 AM)

When I get time I'll post my own opinions of when particular "jumped the shark".

To me it jumped when Ron Howard left. The whole basis of that show was the interaction between Fonz and Richie. With Rich gone, the dynamic changed and just never recovered. Then we stuck with Jenny Piccolo. Bleh.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 19 2006, 11:56 AM)

To me it jumped when Ron Howard left. The whole basis of that show was the interaction between Fonz and Richie. With Rich gone, the dynamic changed and just never recovered. Then we stuck with Jenny Piccolo. Bleh.

I think the show started "jumping the shark" when Ted McGinley (a cousin of Richie's) came onto the show. He annoyed the hell out of me.

I also recall that the hairstyles were "ahead" of it's time during the last half of the show's run. I mean, Chachi's hair was long well ahead of the hippie movement.

Golden Girls jumped the shark sometime during the 5th season. I know that there was a change or writers along this time. Marc Sotkin was one of them. The episodes were getting a bit too silly and not believable. I'll see if I can look up the episode where I think it happened and edit this post accordingly.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 19 2006, 10:22 AM)
'Family Guy' jumped the shark when they brought back the series. None of the new eps have been as funny as the originals.

I'm addicted to the Family Guy still find it hilarious.

Now the spin off American Dad ? It has it's moments but dosen't work when you hear the same voices from Family Guy doing it's characters.

I think even putting this on the air in the first place jumps the shark.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 20 2006, 01:36 AM)

I think the show started "jumping the shark" when Ted McGinley (a cousin of Richie's) came onto the show. He annoyed the hell out of me.

I also recall that the hairstyles were "ahead" of it's time during the last half of the show's run. I mean, Chachi's hair was long well ahead of the hippie movement.

I actually thought the best episodes were when Fonzie wore the blue jacket and rarely spoke. The episodes seemed more based around Richie dating/growing up. Hell, he even had an older brother named 'Chuck' in those. Also, the theme song was 'Rock around the Clock'.

Oh, wasn't that McGinley guy the neighbor in Married With Children?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2006, 01:08 PM)

I actually thought the best episodes were when Fonzie wore the blue jacket and rarely spoke. The episodes seemed more based around Richie dating/growing up. Hell, he even had an older brother named 'Chuck' in those. Also, the theme song was 'Rock around the Clock'.

yes, that was him. He also played on the "Love Boat" during the last one or two seasons and "Revenge of the Nerds".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 19 2006, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2006, 01:08 PM)

yes, that was him. He also played on the "Love Boat" during the last one or two seasons and "Revenge of the Nerds".

Wow! CT, I think you need a new member title. Maybe: "TV Answer Man". wink.gif

Another shark-jumping moment: When "Three's Company" took off Suzanne Somers and replaced her with someone else I can't stand. There were two replacements in all. It was the first one who only lasted one season.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 19 2006, 12:55 PM)
Another shark-jumping moment: When "Three's Company" took off Suzanne Somers and replaced her with someone else I can't stand. There were two replacements in all. It was the first one who only lasted one season.

They first replaced Chrissy Snow (Suzanne Somers) with her cousin, Cindy Snow (Jennilee Harrison). Then they introduced Terri the nurse (Priscilla Barnes) as the new roommate.

(I'm even more of a "TV answer man" than CT! I want to go on that VH1 game show, "World Series of Pop Culture.")

Regarding the "Happy Days" thing:

• Ritchie was still on the series when Fonzie jumped the shark. He was driving the boat! If the show "jumped the shark" when Fonzie jumped the shark, Ron Howard was still in the cast, and the show lost credibility even before he left. But yeah, after Ritchie left, the show really went downhill! When the previously unseen Jenny Piccolo is now a central character, something's wrong. (Imagine Ted Danson leaving "Cheers," and they then make Norm's wife, Vera, a major character!)
  • Ted McGinley is the kiss of death for any television show. He's a good guy and good actor, but the kiss of death nevertheless; don't ask me why.
Edited by GeddyRulz

McGinley was Marcy's second husband on Married. Until that point he was known as a "show killer," meaning every time he was cast into a late-running series that show would end soon after. As was the case with Happy Days and Love Boat (I think he was the ship photographer for 20 minutes or something).

He was also on John Larroquette's show for a brief time before that one got cancelled. Coincidentally, he was married to one of the show's actresses.

And don't ask me how I know so much about this man. I'm not stalking him, okay? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 19 2006, 02:12 PM)
McGinley was Marcy's second husband on Married. Until that point he was known as a "show killer," meaning every time he was cast into a late-running series that show would end soon after.

He was pretty good on Married...With Children. That turned out to be a pretty funny plotline.

I don't think that show jumped the shark until they tried introducing that annoying little kid, Five. That was the point where you knew it was all downhill from there.

QUOTE (Maddy @ Jul 19 2006, 12:35 PM)
McGinley was Marcy's second husband on Married. Until that point he was known as a "show killer," meaning every time he was cast into a late-running series that show would end soon after.

He was pretty good on Married...With Children. That turned out to be a pretty funny plotline.

I don't think that show jumped the shark until they tried introducing that annoying little kid, Five. That was the point where you knew it was all downhill from there.

I agree with you on that one. yes.gif

That Jennilee Harrison chick got on my nerves too. She was also cast as some long lost relative of J.R.'s. When I saw her appear I remember thinking "oh, no!" angry.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 19 2006, 09:22 AM)

Jack, I just started watching Family Guy, but I watch it late night on Adult Swim. I find it hilarious. Are the Adult Swim episodes different than the ones on Fox?

How many seasons did they have of the "good" family guy?

I think the Shark jumping moments for Too Close For Comfort & Family Ties came when the mothers in both shows had a kid (both of whom were named Andrew). It might've even happened when their pregnancy was announced.

For Brady Bunch it came when they introduced the younger cousin Oliver. Who am I kidding? That show always blew. Yet, I've seen every episode. laugh.gif

Jump the Shark is one of the funniest sites around. I visit it quite often for a good laugh

on the Ted McGinley front, he was not the kiss of death for Married...with Children. That would have been when they decided to add that annoying kid Seven. adding kids always tends to be the death sentence for any show- witness what happened to the Cosby Show when that little brat Raven Simone was added to the cast, went straight down the crapper, as did the Brady Bunch with the addition of Oliver.

McGinley is a very good, funny actor....just seems weird that when he joins a series that has already been established, the show seems to jump. Maybe it's that the show had already jumped the shark, but once the new character has been added it seems much more noticable.....almsot sad that ted McGinley has become the patron saint of shark jumping, and yet it is really funny.

Oh, and Family Guy jumped with the episode that had Tom Brady making a guest appearance.....what a horrible excuse for a Family Guy episode. Not funny at all.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 19 2006, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 19 2006, 09:22 AM)

Jack, I just started watching Family Guy, but I watch it late night on Adult Swim. I find it hilarious. Are the Adult Swim episodes different than the ones on Fox?

How many seasons did they have of the "good" family guy?

I don't think that the AS versions are different from the Fox versions. I could be wrong, though. AS has a lot more latitude than Fox, so the eps may have been edited . The first two seasons are what I consider to be the good ones. There's a list of them here.

He was also on John Larroquette's show

Wasen't that a rip off of John Cleese "Fawlty Towers"?

FT is still a laugh riot to watch after all these years!

Wish they would of made more episodes then they did. sad.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jul 20 2006, 02:12 AM)

He was also on John Larroquette's show

Wasen't that a rip off of John Cleese "Fawlty Towers"?

FT is still a laugh riot to watch after all these years!

Wish they would of made more episodes then they did. sad.gif

Well, JL did a Fawlty ripoff, but that wasn't the show I was referring to.

Before that, and after Night Court, "The John Larroquette Show" was this very funny sitcom set in a St. Louis bus depot. Larroquette played a recovering alcoholic who interacted with a number of people who hung out there. One of the cops was played by the same actor who play Dennis Leary's uncle on Rescue Me.