Country

BenMink

As I've said before, the genre 'Country and Irish' which exists in this fair isle is the music that will be played in hell. Total mawkish unredeemable shite of the highest order, by and large.

However, I'm more than partial to a lot of what's happening in the USA alt.country or whatever it's called, and one of the most enjoyable sets at Oxegen this year was Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins (arguably more gospel than country, but who's nitpicking?).

Neko Case is another artiste I love - Is it country or folk?.

There's a lot of great music out there that would be classified as country - The problem is when people's perception of country stretches no further than the bland MOR of people like Garth Brooks, it's got a serious identity crisis.

I basically hate country, but some Kris Kristofferson and Johnny Cash is pretty good.

Johnny's solo stuff is usually a bit dark and heavy, but his stuff with June Carter is just the opposite - perky and fun. Their album Carryin' On With Johnny Cash and June Carter contains some fun duets, like "Long-Legged Guitar Pickin' Man," "Fast Boat to Sydney," Jackson," their version of Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me, Babe," and their version of Ray Charles's "I Got a Woman." I like this album; my mother played it all the time when I was a kid, and I was inspired to grab my own CD copy after seing Walk the Line.

As for Kristofferson - what can you say? He's a great songwriter.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 18 2006, 04:00 PM)
I'm not into country. I personally feel I've heard a little bit of almost every genre. The only genres or types of music that I don't care for are country and rap/hip-hop. smile.gif

I say the same thing, although I own a Johnny Cash/June Carter album (country), a Run-DMC album (rap), and want a copy of the Office Space soundtrack (gangsta rap).

But yeah, I hate country and rap. Also the blues and southern rock. tongue.gif

I'm not a huge country fan, but it's not without value. The only country artist I would consider among my favorites is Johnny Cash, but that's due only to not having heard much. Some Merle Haggard stuff I've heard is pretty good too. And Dylan and Neil Young's country-sounding albums (Nashvile Skyline/New Morning and Harvest Moon respectively) tend to be pretty good.

I hate mainstream modern country like Toby Keith and Shania Twain and that poppy stuff like that.

And the Eagles fancied themselves a country bad too, and they are/were fairly wretched.

We've been down this route a few times, and I agree with everything Madra says on the topic.

Country and Irish is a living nightmare. Never travel on a bus in Ireland. You will not get a job as a bus driver in Ireland unless you have a deep love for all things C'n'I. It's all you'll ever hear on an Irish bus. That and, "Can you smell wee"?

I had to buy my mother-in-law 2 Daniel O'Donnell tickets yesterday. I was seriously embarrassed, I should be more mature but I couldn't help it. I could read the girl in the music store's mind - "He likes Daniel O'Donnell, what a knob".

The last time I was that embarrassed was in the mid-80's when I had to buy a copy of Huey Lewis and The News "Fore" for a buddy

Certainly Dylan's country period, especially "Nashville Skyline" is fanastic. Listen to "Girl from the North Country" duet with Johnny Cash.

Buy any Mike Nesmith solo album from the '70's.

You will not be disappointed.

Flying Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons wonderful stuff indeed.

Others on the critical list are:

Early George Jones

Johnny Cash

Hank Williams

Willie Nelson

Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne ( the best alt. country album ever, IMHO)

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 18 2006, 01:00 PM)
I'm not into country. I personally feel I've heard a little bit of almost every genre. The only genres or types of music that I don't care for are country and rap/hip-hop. smile.gif

If someone put a gun to my head and made me listen to one, it would be rap over the other one any day, but both are pretty bad.

I think I'd add opera and gospel to that list, but otherwise I agree with you.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 19 2006, 10:07 AM)
Johnny Cash
Emmylou Harris

Ahh, how could I forget Emmylou Harris. She's done many guest performances with the Dave Matthews Band, and I listened to her for the first time through DMB.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 18 2006, 05:09 PM)
I'm not a huge country fan, but it's not without value. The only country artist I would consider among my favorites is Johnny Cash, but that's due only to not having heard much. Some Merle Haggard stuff I've heard is pretty good too. And Dylan and Neil Young's country-sounding albums (Nashvile Skyline/New Morning and Harvest Moon respectively) tend to be pretty good.

I hate mainstream modern country like Toby Keith and Shania Twain and that poppy stuff like that.

And the Eagles fancied themselves a country bad too, and they are/were fairly wretched.

The Eagles were country-rock although they wanted to rock. On the first album, Glyn Johns(the producer) didn't want the band to rock he liked the banjo, the mandolin and the harmonies. Once they got with Bill Szymczyk and added Don Felder, they slowly shied away from country to more rock and roll. The Joe Walsh era albums were straight ahead rock, especially The Long Run although Hotel California had some ballads but that was their first non-country album.

man...

I've had my "phases" of everything. I've had periods of a few weeks where I would like jazz, then metal, then prog, then classical, then rap, then back to metal, etc...but one genre I've never ever gotten into the least bit is country.

Sorry man.

About the closest I'll come to country is the Closer to the Heart jam tongue.gif

There's confusion nowadays as to what's 'country' and what's not. The crap they're putting out on the radio/t.v., claiming to be country music, is NOT real country. Much of it is a product of the machine called the Nashville music industry. My dad, who has been a musician for many years, has spent a lot of years playing country music and says it is a lucrative business. However, the real stuff, the good stuff came out awhile ago. Artists like George Jones, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard....these people were singing about real life things. You can almost hear the pain in their voices at times. I bet George Jones was guzzling a bottle of whiskey in the studio trink38.gif laugh.gif , while singing about 'here's a picture of me without you'.

I like the old, real country music!

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jul 22 2006, 01:12 AM)
There's confusion nowadays as to what's 'country' and what's not. The crap they're putting out on the radio/t.v., claiming to be country music, is NOT real country. Much of it is a product of the machine called the Nashville music industry. My dad, who has been a musician for many years, has spent a lot of years playing country music and says it is a lucrative business. However, the real stuff, the good stuff came out awhile ago. Artists like George Jones, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard....these people were singing about real life things. You can almost hear the pain in their voices at times. I bet George Jones was guzzling a bottle of whiskey in the studio trink38.gif laugh.gif , while singing about 'here's a picture of me without you'.

I like the old, real country music!

goodpost.gif I agree REAL country is dead.

If you want to hear a great album listen to Taking The Long Way the Dixie Chicks latest magnificent! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Charlie Daniels Band

Willie nelson

hank williams(sr.)

merle haggard

woody guthrie

neil young

Ah yes, the Charlie Daniels Band, one of my all time favorites. They say the man can play any instrument with a string. The best work done by CDB, IMHO is Night Rider and Fire on the Mountain.

Too bad Charlie will no longer sing the original lyrics to Long-Haired Country Boy.

I am also a big Lyle Lovett fan. Kinda country kinda not.

Has any else out there heard the X-Rated discs by David Allen Coe?

Charlie daniels band played the 4th of july festival by my house and I missed it becuase my wife didn't want to deal with the crowd. I/m still pissed.

there's a man w/ talent and integrity.

The "Silver Fox". CHARLIE RICH.

The BEHIND CLOSED DOORS album.

This is an album that you play all the way through.

His two biggest songs are on this album:

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, and THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD.

I like Charlie's voice over anybody in Country. He truly wore his heart on his sleeve, and you can hear it in his voice.

I'll take his voice over ELVIS' any day!

elvis sucks

I like some older country music and some of Hank III's stuff, but honestly I'd never go out of my way to listen to it. Tiger Army has a country song on their first album that I don't skip. That's about the extent of my country listening.

Some of my family listens to the new country shit, and it has to be the worst music ever.

Country is incredibly hit or miss. I don't believe there are any specific patterns as to what era of country is better than another though.

For instance, there's a guy like Brad Paisley; one of the greatest voices in country, and can actually handle a guitar as well as, if not better than, most rockers. Whereas there's someone like Keith Urban who's pop-country is worth about as much as the contents of a 'biffy'. Some people would consider them the same genre/style. Then there are the classic. Charlie Daniels, Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, and David Allan Coe, who's voices are simply amazing.

Country is hit or miss, not all country is crap like Rascal Flatts or the Dixie Chicks.

Archived