John Irving

GeddyRulz

Are there any other fans of John Irving out there? He's probably my favorite novelist, and I know that he also has fans in Geddy (see "Presto" tourbook) and Neil (see write-up of "Until I Find You" on Neil's website).

I've read everything by Irving from World According to Garp (his fourth) to the present, although I haven't started his latest yet ("Until I Find You"). I've tried reading his first three novels, but didn't make it.

My favorite is probably A Prayer for Owen Meany, but I love most of them, including his collection of short works.

Irving's books:

• Setting Free the Bears
  • The Water Method Man
  • The 158 Pound Marriage
  • The World According to Garp
  • The Hotel New Hampshire
  • The Cider House Rules
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany
  • A Son of the Circus
  • A Widow for One Year
  • The Fourth Hand
  • Until I Find You

• Trying to Save Piggy Sneed (a collection of shorter works, including a few good memoirs)
  • My Movie Business (a memoir of Irving's involvement with the films made from his novels, particularly "Cider House")

Any other fans?

I've only read Owen, Hotel and Garp. I liked them though and wouldn't mind starting from the beginning. My next task is to finally finish Water Method Man, but I've tried and failed a few times when new books come my way. Oh well.

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 18 2006, 11:09 AM)
I've only read Owen, Hotel and Garp.

Those are probably the three best, in my opinion.

My next task is to finally finish Water Method Man, but I've tried and failed a few times when new books come my way. Oh well.

Ditto. Of his first three novels, I think I'd like "Water Method Man" the best, so it's the one I keep trying to read. I've picked it up a few times, and I haven't been successful yet.