Hey you.....yes....YOU!

D-13

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 19 2004, 02:32 PM)
Quick update - I didn't get the part of Emile, but I got the part of Luther Billis.

Not as much singing, but more fun.

I thought you might like to know that!!! blah.gif

Hey Madra - congrats on landing the part!!! trink39.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have been playing guitar for 7 years. (has it been that long?) I suck at lead but rock at rhythm. I can play the bass probably better than guitar but do not own one. i used to play the trumpet. and I absolutley suck on the drums but love playing them.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 26 2004, 07:21 PM)
What do you guys play?...
...And I have to say Neil is my instructor! lol what about you guys?

I've been playing piano since I was 7, guitar since 12, bass since 15 and drums since 27 (I just turned 37). I also "play" vibraphone, sitar and tabla (note the quotes which indicate "don't play well").

Alex Lifeson was my unofficial guitar teacher. I taught myself guitar with Rush albums and a really poorly compiled Rush songbook (knowing how to read music from the piano was a big help). At one point, when I was about 15, I could play every single Rush song from Fly By Night through Signals and 2 or 3 from the first album.

I earn a living these days teaching piano, guitar and bass to people of all ages.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 20 2004, 08:06 PM)
I started playing piano in 4th grade and drums in 5th grade. I'm in 9th grade now. I quit piano last year because I was bored with it, but I still play drums.

I would strongly suggest picking the piano back up. If you have been playing for the last 5 years, no doubt you have quite a bit of talent in your hands, there is just so much of a range of music you can play with that kind of skill. It's my personal belief the piano is really the backbone of music as we know it, and responsible for highly complex forms of art. There is some good keyboard based music out there if you know where to look, plus there is a lot of room for improvisation with the piano.

I really wish I took it up as a kid, I only had a couple lessons and decided it wasnt for me, how foolish sad.gif

I played piano through high school and made it up to Grade 9 before I went off to university and drifted away from it. Definitely going to get some type of keyboard over the next few years for the kids, and I'll pick i back up.

Been playing guitar for about twenty years, really heavily through the school years. We played lots of 2.gif tunes in my buddies basement, and that's where my love of 2.gif grew. Lately with family/career/etc it has drifted off as a hobby and my chops are really rusty. I'll get back into it though as the kids grow.

An aside....my three year old boy wants "a yellow guitar and a green pick" for Christmas (and he's going to get it). You should see him hammer away on my acoustic and sing Itsy Bitsy Spider. Priceless biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 5 2004, 04:28 PM)
The Yamaha 12-string and the Les Paul look sweet. Those Carvin pickups are the ones with 12 pole pieces on each coil, right? How do you like them?

And the bass is your son's, right? How's he doing with it? GeddyFinal.gif

Yup, the bass is my son's. He's doing pretty good. Have to remind him to practice, though. Guess I was hoping he'd be addicted to it and I wouldn't have to remind him. But time will tell. He is currently working out of the Mel Bay Method book with some "fun" things like Smoke on the Water thrown in to keep it entertaining. I'm working with him to play a simple bass line along with me playing Broon's Bane and that's kinda cool.

Yeah, the LP has the Carvins with 11 pole pieces on each coil. They sound pretty good but I wish I hadn't messed with the LP. It was a Deluxe (I guess it still is technically) that came with the "mini" humbuckers. I had to rout it out to fit the Carvin's in there doh.gif It seemed like a good idea when I was 17 tongue.gif But not now. I destroyed any value the thing had when I routed it.

The Yamaha is a $300 jobber that I picked up at a local store simply because I took it down off the rack just to fool around and couldn't believe the amazing sound that was coming from this thing. It was a total impulse buy. After I heard it I had to have it.

The Elite was bought after watching the ESL video and seeing Alex playing his Adamas on Broon's Bane. Naturally, I couldn't afford an Adamas when I was a teenager, so I saved $800 and bought the Elite. It's got the spruce top and has been beat up quite a bit.

nasty.gif I play any rock instrument you can think of- Bass, Lead and acoustic guitar, drums, piano, etc.

My main and favorite instrument is THE BASS! I've got an Ibanez.

But I have a question- why does my D string keep breaking approximately every 3 months? I don't play too hard, and I expect Bass strings to last a lot longer... my original E, A and G strings are still on there from the first time I got it, but I've broken my D string 3 times... can anyone help me here? confused13.gif

And just in case anyone cares to know, I've been around drums for my entire life (15 years), and my family is made up of professional drummers. I've known how to play a basic drumbeat ever since I learned to read.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Dec 5 2004, 05:17 PM)
But I have a question- why does my D string keep breaking approximately every 3 months? I don't play too hard, and I expect Bass strings to last a lot longer... my original E, A and G strings are still on there from the first time I got it, but I've broken my D string 3 times... can anyone help me here? confused13.gif

Does it always break in the same spot, like at the bridge or the nut?

Snowdog:

I don't think there was too much damage done to the Les Paul. The Deluxes with mini-humbuckers aren't in real high demand. My dad has a gold top deluxe from '77. It's value was nowhere near what I thought it might be a few years ago. Granted, the Carvin's don't really add to the value, but at least if you put PAFs in it someone will find some value in it should you want to get rid of it. I like the finish on it. Nice face!

The thing about the Deluxes are the mahogany they were using at the time was especially dense because of the soil where the wood was grown. I was told the wood absorbed a lot of minerals, so those guitars tend to be the heavier of the Les Pauls made. Also the Deluxes usually have what is called a sandwich back on them, because of the seam along the sides from the two thick plys of mahogany used for the back of the guitars. The mini humbuckers were left over from the American Epiphone factory and when Gibson bought Epiphone in the late 60s they wanted to get rid of them so they created the Deluxe model guitars. I used to have an SG that had minis on it.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 6 2004, 02:47 AM)
Snowdog:
I don't think there was too much damage done to the Les Paul. The Deluxes with mini-humbuckers aren't in real high demand. My dad has a gold top deluxe from '77. It's value was nowhere near what I thought it might be a few years ago. Granted, the Carvin's don't really add to the value, but at least if you put PAFs in it someone will find some value in it should you want to get rid of it. I like the finish on it. Nice face!
The thing about the Deluxes are the mahogany they were using at the time was especially dense because of the soil where the wood was grown. I was told the wood absorbed a lot of minerals, so those guitars tend to be the heavier of the Les Pauls made. Also the Deluxes usually have what is called a sandwich back on them, because of the seam along the sides from the two thick plys of mahogany used for the back of the guitars. The mini humbuckers were left over from the American Epiphone factory and when Gibson bought Epiphone in the late 60s they wanted to get rid of them so they created the Deluxe model guitars. I used to have an SG that had minis on it.

That makes me feel better, Cyg. Thanks. And yeah, it's a log, even for a LP. But it plays beautifully and sounds great. I thought about the PAF's, and almost did it. But then I thought, why spend the $ when I'm perfectly happy with the sound I have?

Hey there,

I've played since the mid 80's...current setup is Fender Mexican Strat, and Takamine 240 Acoustic with a Fender Princeton 65 Amp...low budget, but they sound pretty damn good... and I'm definately on a tight budget !

Favorite band - RUSH - tighest band ever....seen them several times live and NEVER been dissapointed !!

Keith

GeddyFinal.gif for 8 months now. I play La Villa Strangiato (the Rio version) pretty well. I looked at myself in the mirror while playing Strangiato some days ago, to see how easy it looked like. Actually, it looks easier to play that guitar than it is! I know I'm weird, but I'M PROUD OF IT!! trink39.gif

Archived