Hey you.....yes....YOU!

D-13

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My aunt tells the story of she and my pregnant (with me) mother going to see my dad play (bass) with one of his bands in late '66 (yes, I am old). At one point during the set my mother grabs my aunt's hand to place it on her stomach so that my aunt could feel the "fetal" me kick in time to my dad's band.

My first real musical memory is of watching my father tap out a beat to a record on my first (of many) toy drumset on Christmas day when I was 3. I immediately grabbed the sticks and played the beat he played to the music.

When I was 5 or 6 I became interested in bass guitar after a very vivid dream that I still can remember glimpses of today. Being only 6 years old the bass was right out, but I later got my first electric guitar and amp, and lessons from the teacher who taught my dad. They went over my head a bit, but served me well later in life.

A couple years later I joined the school band and my parents rented me a real snare drum. I had learned how to read the rhythm of the notes from my guitar teacher and played percussion pretty much by ear and memory by this time. My parents' deepest fear, giving birth to a drummer.

For my 10th birthday I got a set of Ludwig drums, that were my age as well, in a gawdy orange swirl, Mod Orange. Yuck. They were ugly as hell, but they were mine!

Drums have been my primary instrument ever since.

Around the age of 12 I started playing in rock bands and started to get more interested in guitars again. I picked up things from my friends and whe I was 14 I bought a Gibson SG. My growth as a guitar player really started then and still continues.

When I was 18 I started to get into recording and it was around then that I really started to think about the bass as something unique to itself, noting that all of my favorite bands had really good bass players. I started playing (my dad's) bass on my own recordings then started to gig as a sub occasionally with my friend Adam on drums.

When I got into junior college I began to study music theory which led me to the keyboard, and even vocals, which I list as my weakest abilities musically.

But I like to think that if it makes a sound I can figure out how to work it.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 26 2004, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 26 2004, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 26 2004, 09:14 PM)
Hey, I can play the Radio!!  (stole that line from GG)

Seriously, I have been wanting to take up an instrument.  I'm thinking of the drums, but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it.

I just want to learn to play something.

What's the easiest instrument to learn/teach yourself:

Guitar
Bass
Piano
Drums

Any help would be appreciated

I would pick up a guitar - you can get starter kits with video, etc for about $150 with an amp and electric guitar (not high quality but good to start). Someone like 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 would be a great person to ask. He is a guitar player.

I've always wanted to play the guitar, but recently the drums seem like they would be more....FUN.

I have an acoustic Fender Malibu that was my brothers. I should probably stick with what I've got.

Thanks

The drums are a great choice to start playing. I know some guy who bought some drums and practiced every day for a year and then got into a pretty good band playing in bars every weekend. He got better and better and ended up being one of the best drummers that I've ever known personally. I started playing guitar in 1981 and practiced in my room for 4 years before I ever played in a band.

When you say that drums are fun to play I would have to agree. I'm a guitarist first but I have picked up drums on the side. I was steady in different bands since the late 80's until about 3 years ago. Most of the time the band rehearsals would be in my garage so the drummer kept his drums in my garage. Almost everyday after I got off work I would go straight to the garage and start jamming on the drums for an hour or so. I started getting better and better and then I got in bands with drummers who liked to show up an hour or so late all the time. Instead of waiting on him I setup a 4 track recorder and the rest of the band would start playing while I played the drums just to see what we could come up with. Our bass player played rhythm guitar really well so it worked well for writing the base of a tune and that's all you really need, we worked through the changes then I would throw on a sweet solo and we had us a tune. We would record a rough version and I'd make everyone a tape to listen to until next rehersal. Then we spent a couple hours on getting the song tight at the next practice.

There were a few times when we started writing a song on monday, rehearse it Wed and Thurs along with the rest of our set and then we would be playing the song live in front of a couple hundred people live on Friday and Saturday. Playing a new original was my favorite part of playing in bars.

When the drummer finally showed up we would let him hear the tape and get it into his head. Then I would grab the guitar or sometimes the bass, since I played the new song on the drums I would have it in my head bigtime. By the time he changed some drum parts and I changed up what the bass player was playing on the guitar it was a totally different song. We found this a good way to write about 40 songs in a couple years of playing together. It worked, we had fun, we played in bars, so it was worth it.

I don't think this is how too many other bands writes their songs but when I think back to how we did it, it was pretty cool. cool.gif

Back to the original question of the thread.

I play......

Guitar

Drums

Bass

Piano

Late on this thread, but...

I've been playing bass (badly) for a couple of years now.

Have played acoustic guitar since 6th grade (sporadically)

Played flute for years, and can still get a tune out of the thing if I want to...

But recently my instrument of choice is voice.

Now to just master the fine art of playing bass and singing, and I'll be one step closer to "cool" wink.gif

started on piano very young, up to grade 2.

Then onto euphonium and trombone through senior school.

At the same time, in seniors, I mucked about with bass, but soon moved to guitar.

Never had a lesson in my life and I'm still playing the thing.

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Aug 31 2004, 04:07 PM)
I'm a dork. I had piano lessons for several years. Took up the saxophone in 6th grade and stayed in band all through high school. Played alto sax but switched to tenor for jazz band.

*BAND GEEK* laugh.gif

I still remember all the notes on the trumpet.

And learned how to play "The Pass" on my bass the other day!

Yay for tabs!

Time to lose all credibility here. I'm the achetypal guy who can play about five chords on the guitar and mess about with a keyboard and tin whistle.

My real musical outlet though is voice and specifically musicals in local amateur societies. Just tonight, I auditioned for the part of Emile de Beque in South Pacific. although I'm a bass/baritone rather than a tenor.

Interesting contrast, drive to rehearsal blasting the RIR CD in the car, then spend an hour singing "Some Enchanted Evening"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 30 2004, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 30 2004, 08:07 PM)
Cool! another 17 year old! nice nice.....keep drumming dude!

Drumming's my drug, I can't stop it even if I tried.

hahaha cool I like that saying! laugh.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Sep 2 2004, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 30 2004, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 30 2004, 08:07 PM)
Cool! another 17 year old! nice nice.....keep drumming dude!

Drumming's my drug, I can't stop it even if I tried.

hahaha cool I like that saying! laugh.gif

It's true though.

Glad you like it BTW.

I've been playing rhythm guitar for about 21 years now, and I am actually a country musician who absolutely adores and worships Rush. I've been pretty much considering learning how to play bass recently due to the lack of live entertainment country clubs up here in the new england area, as my brother can already kick my ass with his lead guitar playing ability (we're talking about 2/3's Alex's ability - and that's not just sisterly pride speaking wink.gif, and I'd really like to start up a band with him again biggrin.gif

musik19.gif gg.gif blah.gif

2.gif

I have been playing bass for 21 years Ive played jass,conrty, heavy metal,70s rock,80s rock and todays music.I also play guitar,trumpet, sax, keybords,drums and I sing a high tenor. 653.gif trink39.gif signs015.gif

QUOTE (JON MARLOWE @ Sep 5 2004, 12:07 PM)
I have been playing bass for 21 years Ive played jass,conrty, heavy metal,70s rock,80s rock and todays music.I also play guitar,trumpet, sax, keybords,drums and I sing a high tenor. 653.gif trink39.gif signs015.gif

Jazz Is SOOOOO hard for me as a drummer.....i'm gettin used to it....but it's still very hard! wacko.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 3 2004, 02:15 AM)
Time to lose all credibility here. I'm the achetypal guy who can play about five chords on the guitar and mess about with a keyboard and tin whistle.

My real musical outlet though is voice and specifically musicals in local amateur societies. Just tonight, I auditioned for the part of Emile de Beque in South Pacific. although I'm a bass/baritone rather than a tenor.

Interesting contrast, drive to rehearsal blasting the RIR CD in the car, then spend an hour singing "Some Enchanted Evening"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Quick update - I didn't get the part of Emile, but I got the part of Luther Billis.

Not as much singing, but more fun.

I thought you might like to know that!!! blah.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 19 2004, 12:32 PM)

Quick update - I didn't get the part of Emile, but I got the part of Luther Billis.

Cool! GJ! trink36.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 19 2004, 03:32 PM)

Very cool, madra! Now, do the right thing and sneak a Rush lyric into each show! 2.gif

I play the Harmonium. I used to play synthesizers, and bass, but I found want I wanted expressivley ina 1904 Mustel Art Harmonium. Yeah... I don't understand either, but that is the way it is!

I've been playing bass now for about 10 years. Not exactly Geddy-like, but then again who is.... If there is anyone out there who can steer me towards some not too difficult Rush stuff that would be appreciated. smile.gif smile.gif I have to say it's kind of discouraging trying to play along with my rush cd's. doh.gif

Hi everyone. I've been playing drums on and off for about 25 years. Actual dedicated time more like 10. Never dove into it too seriously, and I find I have some strong abilities mixed with some weak abilities. I play more by ear than anything else. I do some nifty stuff, but have no idea what it was - how it should be counted, etc. ... so don't expect to hear it from me again. laugh.gif

I'd say my biggest challenge is stamina. To play solid and consistent for an hour or more with little rest is almost impossible for me. unsure.gif

My big claim to fame was opening for Quiet Riot about 10 years ago. They came in with their 10,000 watt system into a small night club and basically made everyone's ears bleed. The mid-range sound was literally painful. People were running to the bar for napkins to plug their ears with. It was funny.

Still love playing - but work, marriage, the house, and kids..... make it more like an occassional hobby anymore.

Archived