Blue Öyster Cult

*Limelight*

I'm a Fan , Was a Hugh fan back in the 80's , I do go to see them when the come to town, But it's nothing like the Rock Shows from year past. I remember a show back in 1980 with Black Sabbath, It was the Famous " Black & Blue " Tour. Here in Phoenix it got Slammed by a summer Monsoon/Thunderstorm & they tried to play untill lightning struck the stage, WOW, what a SHOW ! everybody scattered & the show was abruply cancelled & they came back a couple month's later & played the Big indoor arena.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 14 2006, 11:06 AM)
They originated here on Long Island.

I thought they were Canadian?

I like what I know of them. I have some of their songs, and would like to delve deeper.

My second favorite band next to rush is blue oyster cult I meet the keyboard player alan laneir [excuse spelling] I left my cig's out in my car when I saw them in DALLAS,TEXAS at the arcadia and bummed a cig from who turned out to be the keyboard player we talked for at least 45 minutes he asked me what song I wanted to hear they played a song called "IN THEE" off mirrors for me 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif

thanks for that last post I did not know what happened to those guys bought the newest live dvd from the boc and noticed they were not their I was hoping they were still alive brain suregion I'll check them out. boc has a show from 1976 that every boc fan must see

The only Blue Oyster Cult-related item I have is a cd by The Stalk-Forrest Group (later morphed into Blue Oyster Cult) called St. Cecelia: The Elektra Recordings. This was a completed album recorded in 1970, but never released until VERY recently.

It's a VERY good album (just short of greatness), is very jammy and somewhat proggy. It's definitely worth picking up.

I only have their big hits to go on in terms of BOC, and while they're all really good 70's arena classic rock kinds of songs in the vein of Boston, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and that ilk, it was never enough (like with those other bands) to inspire me to bother to pick anything of theirs up...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 20 2006, 11:45 AM)
I only have their big hits to go on in terms of BOC, and while they're all really good 70's arena classic rock kinds of songs in the vein of Boston, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and that ilk, it was never enough (like with those other bands) to inspire me to bother to pick anything of theirs up...

This is EXACTLY how I feel about a lot of those bands. I won't necessarily change the station if they come on the radio, but I've never felt at all compelled to own even a best-of.

I do, however, own Boston's self-titled debut. It was given to me for my birthday last week by my guitarist, who is obsessed with it. It's the 30th anniversary remaster that came out a month or two ago. Some great liner notes by Tom Scholz and David Wild, and Scholz remastered the thing himself, and so it sounds PHENOMINAL, and it's only like $10.99. Not that I ever need to listen to it more than a couple times a year, I hear it on the radio enough, but it's a good one to own.

ive seen them 7 times back in the day. owned 3 albums , have kinda forgotten them for years but a quality band for sure.

I am a HUGE BOC fan! I go see them as much as possible since they give me something to do until RUSH tours again. I enjoy seeing a classic band in smaller venues. I would have loved to see RUSH in the old days in a club. You can check www.pollstar.com for a tour schedule.Buck Dharma (Donald Roeser) is a highly talented and an underrated guitarist.

GotRush,

BOC will be part of a KLPX radio show in Tuscon on 8/19 and I'll be there. I think that Alice Cooper will also be playing. By the way, Cricket Pavilion is a great venue for a RUSH concert. I am from Texas but I was there in 04.

third hand grace,

BOC has produded a lot of excellent music. If I was going to suggest a starting point then I would suggest Secret Treaties. The song Astronomy is a masterpiece and it was covered by Metallica. Fire of Unknown Origin is also very good. It has Burnin for You. Agents of Fortune is good and it has Don't Fear the Reaper and ETI. You may PM me if you would like any more information.

Yoda,

That is a good story about Allen. He is usually the most recluse of the bunch. This band is very approachable and I have hung out with them after shows in hotel bars. I like to joke with the young bass player that he is the next Geddy Lee. He realizes that it is a huge compliment and he always thanks me. He has a great bass solo on Godzilla.

Thanks *Limelight* for starting this post and I thougt that I was alone on this site. Harvest Moon and Shooting Shark are also two of my favorites along with Astronomy (My favorite), Cities on Flame, Flaming Telelpaths, Harvester of Eyes, Veteran of the Psychic Wars, ETI, I Love the Night, Seven Sreaming Diz Busters, Last Days of May, Pocket, and many others. One of the appealing factors to me is that they write interesting and intelligent songs like RUSH. Their songs are often from the Sci-Fi genre. I agree that they should tour Canada more often. They just returned from a tour of the UK.

Anyone who thinks that they only have three good songs (Reaper, Burnin for you, and Godzilla) is as mistaken as someone who thinks that RUSH only has a couple of good songs. I personally wish that they would leave Burnin and Godzilla off the set listbut you have to appeal to the casual fan. I think that some of the younger members on this site would enjoy BOC since they are obviously intelligent by appreciating the brilliance of RUSH.

Rick

The last BOC I bought was Fire of Unknown Origin. Really Good!

A few years later they played club in hometown (Canton) Club Ninja I believe was the album they were supporting. They were really bad! Forgot words to Reaper half way through song had to start over again!

Embrassing not only for that but the fact a few short years earlier saw them play Richfield Coliseum in front of 17,000 then playing in front of a few hundred at a 3rd tier market.

One of my favorite live albums is On your feet Or on your knees.

Well, I used to love "don't fear the reaper" when I was a kid. Then, in 1998, my old band had the good fortune to open for Blue Oyster Cult in concert. Those guys wouldn't even make eye contact with us or talk to us. That sucks. How cool is that?wtf.gif I think they're somewhat broke and miserable these days...

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Aug 1 2006, 11:41 AM)
Well, I used to love "don't fear the reaper" when I was a kid. Then, in 1998, my old band had the good fortune to open for Blue Oyster Cult in concert. Those guys wouldn't even make eye contact with us or talk to us. That sucks. How cool is that?wtf.gif I think they're somewhat broke and miserable these days...

Wow...

Really?

And think of all the lineup changes they have gone through.

And getting up there in age.

It all adds to the anger