Most hated current Hollywood trend?

Slime

Which of the following things is the worst?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following things is the worst?

• Remakes
    • unnecessary sequels/sequels to movies that suck
    • movies based on books/comics
    • movies based on video games
    • recycled stuff in different movies
    • jes' plain bad movies!

I recently saw a trailer for Clerks 2....

WHY???????????

I swear it will cheapen the legacy of Clerks. I haven't seen the first, but I know how popular it is with many people. Movies like that don't NEED sequels.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 6 2006, 07:26 AM)
QUOTE (MikeEdisonBaggins @ Jul 6 2006, 01:30 PM)
Gilligan's Island! There'd be a great T.V. show remake! Yes!

It's hard to tell if this is sarcasm or not. I just assumed that no one would have wanted a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND remake regardless of whether you liked the show or not.

I wrote a screenplay one time for a Gilligan's Island movie that I submitted to a producer, and we were in negotiations before the whole thing fell through.

The story involved the castaways figuring out a way to get off the island, but Gilligan ends up screwing it up in the end.

Obviously there was a lot more to it, but that's the general premise. I'm still shopping my screenplay around if anyone has any connections in the industry.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 5 2006, 09:23 PM)
The reason I would have voted for isn't there.

I'll abstain from voting.

Or commenting further.

dazed025.gif

The story involved the castaways figuring out a way to get off the island, but Gilligan ends up screwing it up in the end.

z7shysterical.gif

I think I saw an episode like that once! Or a hundred... rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Da Fly @ Jul 5 2006, 09:35 PM)
I vote "Not enough films starring Tony Danza".

... wherein he plays a character named "Tony."

So remakes is kicking the tar out of all the other choices. Pretty much as I expected.

Nobody would dare do a remake of Gilligan's Island, thankfully. I'm pretty sure it is too ingrained into the national consciousness for anybody to accept other actors in those roles.

That's the problem with remakes. The role, whatever it is, was made BY a certain actor at a certain period in time. You just can't recreate a character like Gabe Kotter (though Ice Cube is trying...check Rotten Tomatoes) if you aren't Gabriel Kaplan.

*sigh*

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 7 2006, 10:48 AM)

Nobody would dare do a remake of Gilligan's Island, thankfully. I'm pretty sure it is too ingrained into the national consciousness for anybody to accept other actors in those roles.

I hope you're right. BUT it didn't stop them from making a reality show based on GI. And there were a few tv movies made after the show was cancelled that didn't use the same GINGER actress.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 6 2006, 10:10 PM)

I hope you're right. BUT it didn't stop them from making a reality show based on GI. And there were a few tv movies made after the show was cancelled that didn't use the same GINGER actress.

That would be Tina Louise who played Ginger. I think there was some friction behind the scenes regarding that actress.

In the seventies, she played on The Stepford Wives movie and Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2006, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 5 2006, 04:05 PM)
I think it comes down to sequels and remakes.  Hollywood keeps doing them because they make money, and because there is a much lower financial risk factor associated with sequels and remakes.  That is the essence of a successful mature business model, the best return for the least amount of risk.  Trust me, they will beat those concepts to death, i.e. until they start losing money doing them.

Art is now market campaigns instead of expression.

I'm going to add to this. I, too, voted the "remakes" as the worst idea. But upon further reflection, I think the "correct" response would be a mix of "recycled stuff in different movies" and "just plain bad movies"...

let me explain..

As anagram indicated, there is a reason that Hollywood keeps coming out with these remakes. It's the same reason that you are seeing a ton of comic book movies now, and that you saw a slew of Sci Fi movies after Star Wars came out.. etc..

It's called lack of imagination. Why reinvent the wheel, when someone already has figured out what people want? Sure, these remakes probably won't make a ton of money, but there is a good chance that they wont lose any money either. I think the TV series remake craze started after the Addams Family movies came out. Why? Because they were good. Heck, I liked the movies better than the TV Series.

I don't think that people would complain about "remakes" or "sequels" or TV Series movies if they were actually good. But like everything else in Hollywood, "good" only means safely getting a return on your investement, not good Art.

Yes, but, attendence at theaters is at an all time low. Nobody wants to pay for expensive tickets to see a movie that is most likely a dud.

That is the reason why the movie business is tanking, no one likes the movies coming out. Just like the music business, sales are down cos the music sucks!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2006, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Jul 5 2006, 04:33 PM)
Well, at least they're cutting down on the 'movies based on old tv shows' thing they had going on a few years ago....or have they? unsure.gif

Actually, it's been going on for much longer. "The Addams Family" and "Beverly Hillbillies" came out in the early 90's.

Worse yet I heard there making a movie on "Threes Company"

WHY FOR GOD'S SAKE ARE THEY KNOCKING ON THAT DOOR!! eh.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jul 7 2006, 03:07 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2006, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Jul 5 2006, 04:33 PM)
Well, at least they're cutting down on the 'movies based on old tv shows' thing they had going on a few years ago....or have they? unsure.gif

Actually, it's been going on for much longer. "The Addams Family" and "Beverly Hillbillies" came out in the early 90's.

Worse yet I heard there making a movie on "Threes Company"

WHY FOR GOD'S SAKE ARE THEY KNOCKING ON THAT DOOR!! eh.gif

dear god, no the horror, the horror......the series was bad enough, but now they are going to make a film.....I'm afraid

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 6 2006, 07:33 PM)

That would be Tina Louise who played Ginger. I think there was some friction behind the scenes regarding that actress.

In the seventies, she played on The Stepford Wives movie and Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby.

She was such a hottie in her day!

QUOTE (JARG @ Jul 7 2006, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 6 2006, 07:33 PM)

She was such a hottie in her day!

I know on the Stepford Wives she was very good looking. When she was on Gilligan's Island, I wasn't too impressed.

JUST PLAIN BAD MOVIES - It seems that every year the list of credible/critically acclaimed movies just gets smaller and smaller -

They keep dumbing the movies down.

Is it this new generation of 17-23 years olds who never seem to mature, that they are trying to appeal too?

You know who i'm talking about - The ones who grew up on the simpsons and spend all their time watching the comedy channel -

I can say these things because my 21 year old son is one of them -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 7 2006, 08:44 PM)
JUST PLAIN BAD MOVIES - It seems that every year the list of credible/critically acclaimed movies just gets smaller and smaller -

Is it this new generation of 17-23 years olds who never seem to mature, that they are trying to appeal too?

You know who i'm talking about - The ones who grew up on the simpsons and spend all their time watching the comedy channel -

You should check out some indie films if they show them out by you. This is where you're going to be more likely to find good acting and good writing. They are not marketed like offerings from major studios. Good movies are still made, but they just don't have the marketing budgets that the mass marketed crap movies have. It's like choosing between Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, which get marketed to death and are terrible, or going out there in search of that perfect microbrew. Good luck.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 8 2006, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 7 2006, 08:44 PM)

You should check out some indie films if they show them out by you. This is where you're going to be more likely to find good acting and good writing. They are not marketed like offerings from major studios. Good movies are still made, but they just don't have the marketing budgets that the mass marketed crap movies have. It's like choosing between Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, which get marketed to death and are terrible, or going out there in search of that perfect microbrew. Good luck.

I agree wholeheartedly -

We do have a couple theaters that stick to the indie films - Landmark - Hillcrest - in San Diego -

Unfortunately i can never get my Grown Up kids to go themselves -