Most hated current Hollywood trend?

Slime

Which of the following things is the worst?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following things is the worst?

• Remakes
    • unnecessary sequels/sequels to movies that suck
    • movies based on books/comics
    • movies based on video games
    • recycled stuff in different movies
    • jes' plain bad movies!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2006, 01:23 PM)
I would agree with Grizz, but if I HAD to pick just one, then I'd say remakes.

I concur.

I thought for sure "the liberal views of Hollywood actors" would've been a choice, but I'm glad it's not.

Sorry. Let's not go there.

Well, at least they're cutting down on the 'movies based on old tv shows' thing they had going on a few years ago....or have they? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Jul 5 2006, 04:33 PM)
Well, at least they're cutting down on the 'movies based on old tv shows' thing they had going on a few years ago....or have they? unsure.gif

Actually, it's been going on for much longer. "The Addams Family" and "Beverly Hillbillies" came out in the early 90's.

Speaking of films from TV shows, I have been wondering whatever happened to Babylon 5. So i googled. Turns out it's old news, but efforts to make the movie failed. sad.gif

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17289

In the end, however, the deal could (not) be put together, and it did not

look as if that was going to change at any point in the foreseeable

future. So the option has reverted, and to all intents and purposes,

the project has dead ended. Nor do I think this particular incarnation

will arise again at any point in the future, though prognostication has

always been a tricky art, especially if you have to do it without the

benefit of hindsight.

This was not the first time someone's taken a run at a B5 feature film,

and it will not be the last. Eventually it will happen, because such

things are simply inevitable. If they can do a Brady Bunch movie, you

can be sure that sooner or later, somebody's going to do a B5 movie.

The only thing I can say without equivocation is that when that day

comes, as the rights-holder, I will make darned sure that it's done

right, because I'd rather have no B5 movie than one that doesn't live

up to what fans and I myself would want to see.

To that end...I can wait.

I voted for movies based on video games. One other category is movies made from tv-series. How long 'till we have a 6 Million Dollar Man movie (Johnny Knoxville or Jim Cary, you decide)? Or a Love Boat movie?

I think it comes down to sequels and remakes. Hollywood keeps doing them because they make money, and because there is a much lower financial risk factor associated with sequels and remakes. That is the essence of a successful mature business model, the best return for the least amount of risk. Trust me, they will beat those concepts to death, i.e. until they start losing money doing them.

Art is now market campaigns instead of expression.

QUOTE (JARG @ Jul 5 2006, 01:17 PM)
I voted for movies based on video games. One other category is movies made from tv-series. How long 'till we have a 6 Million Dollar Man movie (Johnny Knoxville or Jim Cary, you decide)? Or a Love Boat movie?

i think a love boat movie could be great if it was played completely ridiculous:

vince vaughan as captain stubing

luke wilson as doctor bricker

steve carrell as gopher

chris rock as isaac

kathy griffin as julie

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 5 2006, 04:05 PM)
I think it comes down to sequels and remakes. Hollywood keeps doing them because they make money, and because there is a much lower financial risk factor associated with sequels and remakes. That is the essence of a successful mature business model, the best return for the least amount of risk. Trust me, they will beat those concepts to death, i.e. until they start losing money doing them.

I'm going to add to this. I, too, voted the "remakes" as the worst idea. But upon further reflection, I think the "correct" response would be a mix of "recycled stuff in different movies" and "just plain bad movies"...

let me explain..

As anagram indicated, there is a reason that Hollywood keeps coming out with these remakes. It's the same reason that you are seeing a ton of comic book movies now, and that you saw a slew of Sci Fi movies after Star Wars came out.. etc..

It's called lack of imagination. Why reinvent the wheel, when someone already has figured out what people want? Sure, these remakes probably won't make a ton of money, but there is a good chance that they wont lose any money either. I think the TV series remake craze started after the Addams Family movies came out. Why? Because they were good. Heck, I liked the movies better than the TV Series.

I don't think that people would complain about "remakes" or "sequels" or TV Series movies if they were actually good. But like everything else in Hollywood, "good" only means safely getting a return on your investement, not good Art.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:17 PM)
I think it comes down to sequels and remakes.  Hollywood keeps doing them because they make money, and because there is a much lower financial risk factor associated with sequels and remakes.  That is the essence of a successful mature business model, the best return for the least amount of risk.  Trust me, they will beat those concepts to death, i.e. until they start losing money doing them.

I'm going to add to this. I, too, voted the "remakes" as the worst idea. But upon further reflection, I think the "correct" response would be a mix of "recycled stuff in different movies" and "just plain bad movies"...

let me explain..

As anagram indicated, there is a reason that Hollywood keeps coming out with these remakes. It's the same reason that you are seeing a ton of comic book movies now, and that you saw a slew of Sci Fi movies after Star Wars came out.. etc..

It's called lack of imagination. Why reinvent the wheel, when someone already has figured out what people want? Sure, these remakes probably won't make a ton of money, but there is a good chance that they wont lose any money either. I think the TV series remake craze started after the Addams Family movies came out. Why? Because they were good. Heck, I liked the movies better than the TV Series.

I don't think that people would complain about "remakes" or "sequels" or TV Series movies if they were actually good. But like everything else in Hollywood, "good" only means safely getting a return on your investement, not good Art.

Yes, but, attendence at theaters is at an all time low. Nobody wants to pay for expensive tickets to see a movie that is most likely a dud.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2006, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:17 PM)
I think it comes down to sequels and remakes.  Hollywood keeps doing them because they make money, and because there is a much lower financial risk factor associated with sequels and remakes.  That is the essence of a successful mature business model, the best return for the least amount of risk.  Trust me, they will beat those concepts to death, i.e. until they start losing money doing them.

let me explain..

Yes, but, attendence at theaters is at an all time low. Nobody wants to pay for expensive tickets to see a movie that is most likely a dud.

Theaters are only one of a number of revenue sources now, as opposed to being the only one. Today, we "wait for it to come out on cable." Or we "wait for it to come out on video." And the studio still will make money there. Then they make even more money on the international distribution.

Another route that studios are going is the lower budget independent production. There are a lot of these. Here in Chicago, I have ample opportunity to go see tons of these films at the theater, if only I had the time. There are a number of theaters that show these kinds of films. They are not meant to be blockbusters, and the budget is much lower, so they don't need to be. And I must say, I have no problem with these kinds of films. I think it's good that more of them are being made. Some of them are excellent films. Sometimes I would go to one of these theaters and see a film without knowing a damn thing about it. Not always would they be good, but often they would be. And there is something to be said for seeing a movie without having read any reviews or synopses about it.

QUOTE (JARG @ Jul 5 2006, 05:17 PM)

NO NO Please Don't wacko.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 5 2006, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (JARG @ Jul 5 2006, 01:17 PM)

i think a love boat movie could be great if it was played completely ridiculous:

vince vaughan as captain stubing

luke wilson as doctor bricker

steve carrell as gopher

chris rock as isaac

kathy griffin as julie

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (MikeEdisonBaggins @ Jul 6 2006, 01:30 PM)
Gilligan's Island! There'd be a great T.V. show remake! Yes!

It's hard to tell if this is sarcasm or not. I just assumed that no one would have wanted a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND remake regardless of whether you liked the show or not.