Thank God for Superman Returns!

Holdyourfireal

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Jul 1 2006, 10:55 AM)
Dork

is that really necessary? Perhaps that type of behaviour is acceptable at other places, but that's not what we are about in here.

Edited by pedro2112

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 1 2006, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Jul 1 2006, 10:55 AM)
Dork

is that really necessary? Perhaps that type of behaviour is acceptable at other places, but that's not what we are about in here.

Thank you, Pedro.

HammerofThor, whatever personal baggage you fellows may have from any other forums, keep them out of mine. Any more of this garbage and I'm going to start deleting posts. Don't screw with me on this. I'm in a bad mood and my tolerance level is at precisely zero.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Jul 1 2006, 08:52 PM)
If I may interject, Al and Hammer are close personal friends, for many years I think. Only those that know that would know it was a joke.

All right.

Al, I'm going to do something I have not done much of before, and agree with you....I just saw Superman Returns tonight, and it was pretty freakin' sweet. I thought it was well plotted, well scripted, the effects were fantastic, and Routh was fantastic as Superman. also, a classy touch during the credits, to have the film dedicated to the late, great Christopher Reeve

if they decide to make any more Superman films, hopefully they will live up to what this one achieved.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Jul 1 2006, 06:52 PM)
If I may interject, Al and Hammer are close personal friends, for many years I think. Only those that know that would know it was a joke.

Thanks for lightning the situation, Grizz trink39.gif

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jul 1 2006, 11:35 PM)
Al, I'm going to do something I have not done much of before, and agree with you....I just saw Superman Returns tonight, and it was pretty freakin' sweet. I thought it was well plotted, well scripted, the effects were fantastic, and Routh was fantastic as Superman. also, a classy touch during the credits, to have the film dedicated to the late, great Christopher Reeve

if they decide to make any more Superman films, hopefully they will live up to what this one achieved.

Thank God someone agrees! I'm so pissed about the box office totals! I'n seeing it again Tuesday after work. If they don't make a sequel, I'll be pissed!

Al

QUOTE (Holdyourfireal @ Jul 2 2006, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 2 2006, 08:32 AM)
I'll definitely be seeing this one when it opens here next month.  yes.gif

Did you see the Ghost Rider trailer?

I saw that triler when I saw X-Men a few weeks ago.....thought it looked lame....then again, until I saw the preview I did not know there was a Ghost Rider comic book......

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jul 3 2006, 09:18 AM)

I saw that triler when I saw X-Men a few weeks ago.....thought it looked lame....then again, until I saw the preview I did not know there was a Ghost Rider comic book......

Nope, I haven't seen the Ghost Rider trailer yet.

Ghost Rider in the comics was cool. Not sure how this one's going to work on screen. The whole thing sounds like 'The Wraith' with Charlie Sheen. But I will see it regardless.

I just watched a "making of" type show about this on HBO. This might be the first money I've spent on anything from Hollywierd in nearly 10 years. I will not waste my money at a theatre due to all the horror stories I've heard about cel phones and patrons talking. I will however buy or rent this on DVD and watch it in the comfort of my own home.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 2 2006, 09:13 PM)
I just watched a "making of" type show about this on HBO. This might be the first money I've spent on anything from Hollywierd in nearly 10 years. I will not waste my money at a theatre due to all the horror stories I've heard about cel phones and patrons talking. I will however buy or rent this on DVD and watch it in the comfort of my own home.

Oh God,

I hear you about the cel phones and the talking...

Return of the King--ruined

So many others...

I hardly go to the theatre too...

Only if I really want to support a film/production house

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Jul 1 2006, 10:16 AM)
It wasn't meant to be mean spirited at all, but it is very nice to see people finally sticking up for HYFAL!

He he!!!

Hey Al!!!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 2 2006, 09:20 PM)

Ghost Rider in the comics was cool. Not sure how this one's going to work on screen. The whole thing sounds like 'The Wraith' with Charlie Sheen. But I will see it regardless.

Did you ever read the final (about 10-15) issues of the original series? I believe it ended around #81. This is the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider I'm speaking about. They are some of the best comics ever produced!

Al

QUOTE (Holdyourfireal @ Jul 3 2006, 03:54 AM)

Did you ever read the final (about 10-15) issues of the original series? I believe it ended around #81. This is the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider I'm speaking about. They are some of the best comics ever produced!

Al

I did. I'm a huge Ghost Rider nut. BUT... i prefer the Danny Ketch/Noble Kale (Spirit of Vengeance) version to the Johnny Blaze/Zarathos version.

Blaze being possessed by a demon and controlling it's power seems too far fetched, but an actual Spirit of Vengeance sharing time with a human host to impose vengeance on deserving individuals is a much better concept. I'm bummin' about this.

NOW... onto SUPERMAN. I'm hearing things I definitely DO NOT like. I totally understand that movies take a different route with their tales than the comics, but this one particular difference I'm talking about is just WRONG. Not liking what i'm hearing and because of it, I may not go see it.

Just like FF. When I heard how they turned Doom into some ordinary bad guy instead of the megalomaniacal, yet somewhat honorable and noble crazed whacko that he IS... then I just couldn't bother to see it.

Ok, don't get me wrong about SR here. From an entertaining factor, I liked the movie, but from a Superman mythology POV, it was just plain ok. The plane scene was just amazing and the fight scene on the roof was awesome. Brandon Routh was excellent in his portrayal of the character, flawlessly matching Christopher Reeve as both Clark Kent and Superman. His posture, presentation, even the way he talked was spot on.

Spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen it and don't want to be spoiled. Highlight text to read.

If the kid was really Superman's, then why did he have asthma? Why couldn't he open the door in the boat when they were trapped, but could throw a piano to save his mother?

If the island Luthor was building was really made out of Kryptonite, why did Supes get the living shit beaten out of him while he was fighting Lex on it, but then why could he lift it and send it out into space?

And uh I think Kevin Smith wrote it best regarding Superman getting Lois pregnant:

"It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I guarantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry her child?He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

Edited by kazzman

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 3 2006, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (Holdyourfireal @ Jul 3 2006, 03:54 AM)

Al

I did. I'm a huge Ghost Rider nut. BUT... i prefer the Danny Ketch/Noble Kale (Spirit of Vengeance) version to the Johnny Blaze/Zarathos version.

Blaze being possessed by a demon and controlling it's power seems too far fetched, but an actual Spirit of Vengeance sharing time with a human host to impose vengeance on deserving individuals is a much better concept. I'm bummin' about this.

NOW... onto SUPERMAN. I'm hearing things I definitely DO NOT like. I totally understand that movies take a different route with their tales than the comics, but this one particular difference I'm talking about is just WRONG. Not liking what i'm hearing and because of it, I may not go see it.

Just like FF. When I heard how they turned Doom into some ordinary bad guy instead of the megalomaniacal, yet somewhat honorable and noble crazed whacko that he IS... then I just couldn't bother to see it.

I know the difference that you are speaking about. I won't spoil it for anyone. I must disagree with you here. Unlike the FF, Superman comics have never been that great. I think most of his popularity comes from TV & movies. The Doctor Doom thing in FF was stupid. There was no reason to change things. He should have worn the armor, not bonded with it! The Superman thing is a natural progression of the movies and I have no problem with it. I think it was handled very well.

Al