Best Harry Potter book thus far?

Slime

Which of the published HP books is the best?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the published HP books is the best?

• Philosopher's Stone
    • Chamber of Secrets
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Goblet of Fire
    • Order of the Phoenix
    • Half Blood Prince

Go look at the Laky Cauldron Forum and you'll get it. There are many, many things in the books that you just dont get or think of till you talk to another fan about it. The series is indepth, mysterious, and on and on.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 12:23 AM)
I don't get the whole Harry Potter phenom...

confused13.gif

Me neither, bud.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2006, 10:23 PM)
I don't get the whole Harry Potter phenom...

confused13.gif

I do. But I'm afraid I can't tell anyone else. sad.gif

laugh.gif

Order was pretty cool. I definitely think that it was when Harry truly hit the most believable sort of teen angst. Order is probably the most character driven of the books. Plus you get Dolores Umbridge. Even seeing her name on the page just starts up all sorts of emotions in me!

...she was such a bitch!

I voted for OOTP. I loved the emotional roller coaster this book took me on.

The frustration Harry felt with Dumbledore was heartbreaking.

Umbridge is so vile and for some reason found myself hating her more than Lord Voldy at times.

Recently I have gone through and reread the series and am on my second outing with Half Blood Prince.

Wondering how many times I'll go through them before book 7.

Here's a question for all readers that I think is QUITE valid

Question: Is Dolores Umbridge a Death Eater?

My answer: yes

some reasons: I was convinced that she was a Death Eater after she was contemplating using the Cruciatus curse on Harry when he was in her office. I don't think that anybody BUT a Death Eater would think of using the curse to gather information. I think she is a DE based on more than the "she's so evil!" thing.

I wondered the same thing for a while but Sirius' agrument in OOTP about how 'the world isn't split into good people and death eaters' convinced me otherwise.

She is one of those people who puts forward one face, the pink sweater, the bows in the hair, the kittens on the plates (oh I'm so sweet) while hiding her true self. She's ambitious and self serving and seems to want whatever is in the best interest of the Ministry, not the actual wizarding world and certainly NOT the students.

Just my thought.

I think that Sirius has it wrong, personally. Dolores Umbridge would be a perfect spy within the MOM. If Voldemort was smart, he'd have a few working for him that don't have the Dark Mark. He'd still be able to get in touch with them somehow. Umbridge still has a high place inside the Ministry and that is the kind of person Voldemort needs most.

Very good points about Umbridge.

I do think she has been rendered unusable from this point though...just bang a couple of coconut halves together to resemble the sound of horses hooves and she'd fall to pieces! LOL Just my humble and silly opinion. smile.gif

What do you think is going on with Percy Weasly?

Just turned mega butthead? Imperious curse? Any ideas on him.

Sorry if this has all been discussed to death previously.

Edited by Sleepless Wind

Naw, this is the HP discussion thread.

Percy = dick. That is all. He's not a DE for sure, since we know he doesn't hold prejudiced opinions about Muggle borns - Voldy wouldn't have him. He's just hurting over being wrong about Harry. Plus I'm pretty sure he doesn't like his family (they've always made severe fun of him for his pomposity).

If Percy does any evil, it is the Imperius Curse.

Haven't seen this anywhere yet...although I haven't looked EVERYWHERE!

This is from Rowlings site...just one more tidbit she gives us to chew on. ( I so love her...lol)

NAQ... which means, 'never asked question'.

Why did Dumbledore have James' invisibility cloak at the time of James' death, given that Dumbledore could make himself invisible without a cloak?

Prior to posting this I had a quick look on-line, and realised that some fans have been speculating about this question. However, nobody has ever asked me about it, and they really should have done. Just to allay the fears of the justifiably suspicious, this isn't what we in the know call 'a Mark Evans situation.'* There IS a significant - even crucial - answer.

Edited by Sleepless Wind

I still cant decide between OOTP and HBP, both are excellant.

As for DD having the cloak, it is odd. DD doesnt need it because he can become invisible all on his own.

Time Turners, DD and someone else at Godrics Hollow. The night is filled with so many unanswered questions.

I would have thought that DD had James' cloak simply because it was James' property and Harry would have inherited it rightfully. But if Jo says it is crucial, then I say next July just can't arrive fast enough.

I don't think it could be a Horcrux, though. Dumbdledore tried wearing a Horcrux once, and it almost took him out. Harry has worn the Cloak many more times, and he's had a jolly good time doing it. I think Voldemort has put similar curses on ALL of the Horcruxes, evidenced by what happened to Ginny in COS and DD in HBP.

What a tricky guy!

The kids and I have been throwing around ideas about the importance of DD having the cloak.

Was someone else at Lily & James house that night under the cloak?

Could there have been another moment of someone invisible, frozen under the cloak witnessing what happened there that night?

I both love and hate when Jo does this...I love the discussion it brings out but it's so frustrating too!

wacko.gif

If there was somebody else at the house on that fateful night, the only way they'll ever know is to have that person captured or else confess.

If that scenario is true, I think it would most likely have been Wormtail, since he knew about it. If if were a friend/ally of the Potters, they would have at least tried taking on Voldemort. It could not have been a case of James immobilizing them, since there was enough of a gap between the death of James and Voldemort going after the other two for somebody under that curse and cloak to act in time.

This is just a WILD idea and I don't necessarily believe it's true, but love to ponder every possibilty.

Could it have been Snape? Maybe he went to warn them?

Okay, for this to fly you have to believe the whole Lily/Snape thing too. (nothing icky)

Snape goes to warn them , Voldy approaches, Lily stuns him puts him under cloak, or something along those lines. Snape witnesses entire scene but is rendered unable to do a thing about it.

DD arrives, finds Snape under cloak and that is how he came to have it!

LOL

Just a wild idea like I said. But it's so fun to try and figure it out. Although it does frequently cause headaches!

Lily, at most, would have only been sympathetic to Snape instead of genuinely liking him.

But I don't think that works. When would Voldemort have left for the Potter's place after receiving Wormtail's information?

Answer: Immediately. Harry was apparently too much of a threat, based on Snape's testimony, to be allowed to live one minute longer.

For Snape to be at the scene of the crime, he would have had to know where the Potters were, which would only be possible (based on information about the Fidelus charm) if Peter Pettigrew told him. The Potters would have only informed one person, since even two people knowing their location would be too dangerous. That rules out Snape knowing for sure about the Potter's location. Snape may have been able to use Legelimency to get the information necessary, but we haven't been told yet how Legelimency verus the Fidelus charm works.

Personally I think that the Potters were alone on that night and that's how they were able to be defeated. I don't think Voldemort would have been able to handle both Potters plus somebody under an invisibility cloak. It would have worked like an RPG battle, with the person under the cloak casting all kinds of support spells while the Potters delivered the final AK.

Speculation is fun.

The speculation that someone else was at Godrics Hollw is not baseless. I may be wrong but JKR has hinted to it.

Snape is the one name on the Harry Potter boards that comes up the most. It is more than possible that he was indeed there. If Snape is Voldies man then its not out of the question that Snape was there when Wormtail told Voldie. But that doesnt answer why DD had the cloak.

Possible candidate.

Petunia, yes thats a long one but we do know that Petunia knows much more than she says. She also would be the last person expected so that does make sense. It would also explain how DD found out so quickly about the Potters death. Few details were released about that night, if someone was there they would not be expected and they would have to be trusted.

Wormtail obviously, but thats pretty tidy. JKR leads us off all the time so I would expect to expect the unexpected. lol

Who could have NOT been there?

Everyone expects Harry to go straight to Petunias after he leaves Hogwarts. We know from JKR that she will tell Harry something important, Just what is it?

If Snape was spying on Voldemort's conversation with Wormtail, than Snape had better hope Voldy doesn't find out. Voldemort likes to work in secret and, as I've said before, too many people knowing too much about the Potters would be dangerous. If Snape was at Godric's Hollow on Voldemort's orders, there would have been no need for the cloak, since both Potters died anyway and Snape was supposedly on side.

Petunia being there makes sense. She would certainly have enough brains to stay under an invisibilty cloak if told, especially if she saw either Potter murdered. If it was any OOTP or Ministry witch or wizard under that cloak, we must presume that they would try to help the Potters at least escape with their invisibilty advantage.

...and to think, I was content to just say that James' cloak is Harry's inheritance! tongue.gif

Agreed Slime. Also Snape could have been by Voldies side when Wormtail told him, he wouldnt have had to spy on him.

If you head on over to The Leaky Cauldron they have a ton of new pics from the set of OOTP. One of Luna who by the way looks perfect. Also of the DA, Harry fighting the Dementors, Umbridge and the trio.

I saw the girl they are using for Luna, but it all comes down to the acting. I think the next movie will be the best of the lot IF they do the drama correctly. I'm just upset that there will be no Quiddicth and no "Weasley is our king!" story line sad.gif