Best Harry Potter book thus far?

Slime

Which of the published HP books is the best?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the published HP books is the best?

• Philosopher's Stone
    • Chamber of Secrets
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Goblet of Fire
    • Order of the Phoenix
    • Half Blood Prince

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have to think that the deaths of harry, ron or hermoine would be devestating to people, especially when you consider they're technically kids books (though of course we all know better unsure.gif ).

check it out:

1. ron and hermoine - these two are SO obviously destined to be together. it's been hinted at over and over and over in the books. was all that just for one or both of them to die???

2. harry - doesn't the prophecy say that one of them has to die and one of them has to kill the other (harry and voldemort). obviously it's not gonna end with voldemort succeeding and beginning an evil empire, and if the prophecy is what it is, harry therefore CAN'T die.

i'm thinking even if it's major characters, it'll be you know, maybe one of the weasley's, one of ron's parents or maybe ginny, perhaps neville longbottom or luna lovegood or cho chang or professor mcgonigal or someone from the order, or snape or draco or any host of other individuals.

of course only time will tell. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

So this is the Harry Potter Discussion thread? sweet.

I wonder what the rest of the Horcruxes are. i've had this theory for a few months now, about the Horcruxes: I think the Sorceror's Stone is a Horcrux, for some reason. I think all the books have some relivance to the Horcruxes.

As for the dieing thing: I've always thought that Harry and He Who Must Not Be Named would both fire an Avada Kadavra (Sp?) at eachother, killing both of them. But this is most definitely wrong.

Isn't it so fun to come up with theories and ideas for HP? Rowling really is keeping us in suspense, and I love it. The seventh book will really tie everything together, just like Revenge of the Sith, it basically ties up all the loose ends in the series.

it's been MORE than hinted that ron and hermione are gonna be together.

and i don't think it'll be ginny, that would be just as devastating as one of the three main characters.

and i guess i forgot about the prophecy saying one of them had to live, i guess that negates harry.

i'm thinking maybe it'll be neville, or it could be Malfoy, or it could be just about anyone else i suppose.

what i'm wondering is are we ever gonna hear from lucius or any of those other death eaters that got captures again? i'm wondering if their part of the story is done with them being in jail, or if big V is gonna break 'em out in the seventh book. i'll bet he does, and they get out to fight the war.

Heres the Prophecy;

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches.... Born to those who have thriced defied him, born as the seventh month dies.... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have the powere the Dark Lord knows not.....And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Remember, Snape only heard the first part of the prophecy, thats why they were in the MOM.

Now heres where it gets sticky: Can Harry go through with killing Voldemort or will he weaken him with the destruction of the Horcruxes and make him mortal? As DD said, there are fates worse than death.

As for the Horcruxes, heres my list and whats already been destroyed.

Tom Riddles Diary-Harry destroyed that in COS

Marvolo Gaunts Ring-DD destroyed that.

Salazar Slytherins Locket- RAB could have already destroyed it. It could be the Locket that was found as they were cleaning out 12 Grimmauld Place. Kreacher kept stealing items and Mundugus Fletcher was trying to sell items stolen from there.

Hufflepuffs Cup-We know Tom killed Hepzibiah Smith and stole the cup and she had the Slytherin Locket. She could also be related to current Hogwarts student Zacharias Smith who is a Hufflepuff.

Ravenclaw Tiara- Mrs. Weasely told Fleur that her aunt had a beautiful tiara that she could probably get for her wedding. also in the RoR at Hogwarts Harry placed a tiara on top of his copy of his Potions book when he was hiding it from Snape.

Now that leaves something of Gryffindors but we know DD has said that the sorting Hat and Sword had both been checked. It seems unlikely that DD would overlook the Gryffindor knocker. So that leaves us with a couple of more odder Horcruxes. Harry, Nangini, the Basilisk, Wormtails silver hand or momentos from his time in the Orphanage. The last seems much more plausible.

I also had the idea that something from Godrics Hollow was made into a Horcrux and that Petunia may have it.

It is possible that Harry doent have to destroy them in order to destroy LV. How I dont know but JKR would find a way!

If Harry does need to find them he needs to tell more people than Ron and Hermione. He needs help!

Other thoughts on the 2 deaths, Luna, Hagrid, Lupin, Percy, Tonks, Fleur, Bill, Charlie, Draco.

NOT HARRY!

Here's a horrifying thought that has just entered my mind:

The fake horcrux supposedly stolen by one R.A.B was actually planted by LV himself to throw seekers off the path. How diabolically clever would that be? He'd then know that somebody out there is coming to get his precious horcruxes and be able to shift them around like so many Risk tokens. LV could have set up many horcrux chambers a la HBP and hide the real ones in only a few of them.

Here's another one that just came to me: He keeps one on his person at all times so that nobody could realistically get at it without taking him out first, which we know is a very tall order.

As for the death of Ron or Hermione: It will suck, knowing that they are pretty much meant fo each other. But I imagine a scene where Ron disables Harry and explains his whole "I'm gonna go book 1 on us again" while Hermione is unconscious somehow. That'd be pretty lame, I admit, but it is in keeping with standard story telling.

The best thing of course would be Malfoy sacrificing himself for the ultimate good end. Never liked that kid.

Fans are speculating that Nangini is a Horcrux, which means just what you said, Nangini is always with LV.

I dont however see a fake horcrux in there. There is no way that LV thinks that anyone would find out about that cave. Besides he underestimates people. Just like in GOF where he made the Goblet into a portkey, he never expected harry to make it out of that graveyard but he did.

In CoS there does seem to be a bit of foreshadowing when Ron sacrifices himself. I would not be surprised at all after yesterdays comment to hear of R&H dying.

Any ideas on such the big importance of Lily? JKR has said we will learn something extremely important about her.

JKR has also said that someone will do magic that normally they can not. A kinda once in their lifetime deal. Any ideas?

LV was trying to kill Harry, not make him a Horcrux.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches.... Born to those who have thriced defied him, born as the seventh month dies....

This was all that Snape heard, he didnt hear the last parts. LV knew from this prophecy that someone is having a child as the month of July was ending and that child would have the power to Vanquish him.

We know that both Harry and Neville were born at the end of July. The reason Harry was chosen is because one of his Parents was Muggle born, the same as himself. He thought Harry was more of a danger than Neville because of this fact. The major problem with killing Harry was that yet again he didnt think things through and he never heard the whole prophecy. By trying to kill Harry he set in motion his own demise.

Now the problem with this is we dont know how a Horcrux is created nor do we know how the old magic that saved Harry was created or works. Thats the problem with the whole Harry is a Horcrux theory. I dont see how LV would be able to accidently create a Horcrux.

Edited to give you a link to this.

USA Today Article/Poll

This was a poll/ question according from USA Today in which the 2 leading people at Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet were asked the odds on a couple of the main characters, survival rate really.

Edited by pixey

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 27 2006, 08:37 PM)
JKR has also said that someone will do magic that normally they can not. A kinda once in their lifetime deal. Any ideas?

Aunt Petunia, definitely.

Nope not Petunia, she has said NO on her site. Maybe Arabella Figg or Filch but everyone thought that it was going to be Petunia. I dont think it is one of the Dursleys (now that she said No to to Petunia) but it would be hilarious if it was Dudley.

Speaking of the Dursleys, since Ron and Hermione plan on going with Harry then I cant wait to see them at the Dursleys! Can you imagine if Dudley is smitten with Hermione! There is also the issue with the creaky stair there too. Why is it that they have a creaky stair when Petunia has to have everything perfect? Wouldnt it be something if thats where Petunia has hidden DD's letters and perhaps some things of Lily's!? What is Petunia hiding anyway? She knows much much more than what she is saying.

I've thought of the whole Dudley smitten by Hermione thing myself, and the only end result I see is him with another pig's tail. But it would be really neat if Ron and Hermione didn't introduce themselves AS wizard and witch - perhaps the Dursleys would see that they are really nice people, until Harry springs the whole magic bit on them. That'd be an interesting reaction, assuming they don't clue in on the fact that Harry isn't likely to have non-magic friends.

Who will perform unexpected magic?

Answer: Hagrid. We know he can perform SOME magic, but he says he was "never great shakes at magic" in book 4. If someone is going to perform magic normally beyond their ability, it will be him. He will perform some supremely complex and powerful spell with his umbrella wand (biggrin.gif) and save the day, or at least the moment.

Slime, I'm with you on the Hagrid doing something unexpected magically.....I just don't see anyone else randomly coming up with some magical ability from thin air- unless it's Mrs Figg, but that's just too weird......

however, I also have a feeling he might end up dead in an attempt to protect Harry or kill Snape........

We know that Hagrid can do magic though. He was at Hogwarts until Tom Riddle got him thrown out because of Aragog. The Umbrella he uses is his wand put back together the best it can be by DD. Hagrid is Magical, not a Squib or Muggle. Even though he isnt supposed to learn magic DD has obviously been teaching him, look at the magic he has used around Harry.

This is once in a lifetime magic, someone who doesnt do magic at all but on this very rare occasion does manage to do it.

That is too crazy a plot twist though, and far too illogical considering what she's told us about the genetics of magic. I think it has to be somebody who has not too much talent magically who comes up with some brilliance that saves the moment.

Sorry I dont have time to find the exact quote but she said once in a lifetime, never be able to perform magic again, under dire circumstances the magic will be performed. Check out quick quotes quill as they will have it or it was on her site.

Fans speculate that there will be a battle at Fleur and Bills wedding, also leads speculation that LV relizes the Tiara Horcrux is gone and then suspects it's the one Fleur is wearing since Molly's family was Ravenclaws. Maybe someone will die there. If any Weasley dies I suspect Percy. Hopefully not Bill or Charlie or any of the other Weasley's.

I hope there's no battle at the wedding. What will happen is some tensions between Harry and Ginny noticed by the rest of the clan. They may or may not decide to divulge the fact that they want each other. I also think that the wedding would be the perfect time for Ron and Hermione to finally admit to one another that they are meant to be together. I imagine a scene where Harry and Ginny walk in on the kissing or something, with thoroughly amusing results.

At that point, Harry will realize that this is the last time he'll be able to feel truly happy for a very long time and go all serious on us. But as he, Ron and Hermione are leaving, somebody will notice them or overhear their intentions and decide to tag along, probably Ginny. The last scene of the book will, or should, feature at least the six key members of Dumbledore's Army.

ok I havent updated in awhile so here we go!

Half Blood prince the movie is scheduled for release in November of 2008!

****SPOILERS****

Opening scene of the movie will take place with Dudley and Harry walking home. Dudley is teasing Harry about something to do with Cedric, Harry then approaches Dudley with his wand. All of a sudden the skies turn black and the wind begins to blow, Dementors have arrived!

McGonagall and Hagrid will be talking after she is stunned outside of Hagrids Hut.

The Slytherins are talking about Voldemort returning and Malfoy talks about how how his Father and the Deatheaters will now win.

Check out some photos of the filming! OOTP filming

QUOTE (pixey @ Aug 8 2006, 10:28 AM)
ok I havent updated in awhile so here we go!

Half Blood prince the movie is scheduled for release in November of 2008!

****SPOILERS****

Opening scene of the movie will take place with Dudley and Harry walking home. Dudley is teasing Harry about something to do with Cedric, Harry then approaches Dudley with his wand. All of a sudden the skies turn black and the wind begins to blow, Dementors have arrived!

McGonagall and Hagrid will be talking after she is stunned outside of Hagrids Hut.

The Slytherins are talking about Voldemort returning and Malfoy talks about how how his Father and the Deatheaters will now win.

Check out some photos of the filming! OOTP filming

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

thanx Pixey!!!!!!!