Best Harry Potter book thus far?

Slime

Which of the published HP books is the best?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the published HP books is the best?

• Philosopher's Stone
    • Chamber of Secrets
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Goblet of Fire
    • Order of the Phoenix
    • Half Blood Prince

My vote goes for Goblet of Fire. That's when the story really "begins", I feel. The first two provided background and the third was just a segway to the fourth. Love them all, of course cool.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first five were great, but Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was epic. It was seriously powerful and mythical enough to make you forget you're reading a book written for young teens. I was getting flashes of Amon Hen and the last scenes from The Fellowship of the Ring all throughout the ending. It was really moving.

while all 6 so far have been great, have to go with the 4th one, it's when everything in the puzzle starts going together.....the 5th was a little too drawn out and wordy, and the 6th seemed to be a bit rushed. The 4th struck the perfect balance with the action and narative, as well as how long it was.

i duno i don't think i can vote.

it probably wouldn't be one of the first two, i know that much. those two were great but they weren't that deep and epic yet, they were just kind of the warm-ups for the series. but they were still excellently written and build up the story-line well.

the third one was the turning point in the series. at first it just seems like another conflict connected to big V, and really that's what it is but unlike the first two, this particular conflict sets the stage for the entire rest of the series pretty much. brilliant segue (i think that's how it's spelled, good word choice slime) but again probably isn't the best in the series.

however i suppose the "turning point" of the third book could be overshadowed by the very much MORE pivotal event of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which is excellent because it goes deeper into the emotions of the characters and is the one that really starts to get dark and move towards the main part of the plot line of the series. the tri-wizard tournament also had some awesome action.

the fifth one just seems to me like the more dramatic, darker, and crazier Part 2 of the fourth one, and i loved it.

and the 6th one is great because of the plot-development. you finally start to go further into big V's past (i like to call him that lol) and of course the developments between the characters (i won't elaborate in case anyone hasn't read it), and then the big plot twist at....well, both the beginning AND the end i suppose. not very much action (except at the end) but very gripping plot, i thougth it was excellent.

i personally thought the books get progressively better every time, except that i'm not sure if i like the 6th one better than the 5th one, which is why i can't pick, but i think it would have to be between those 2.

wow i probably didn't have to make that long of a post but i can't help it lol, i love reviewing things.

I Would Have To Say "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" has been the best Harry Potter book so far, "Goblet" coming in a very close second.

It was a very intense book, and I remember last summer near the end of the book, not being able to put it down, and I almost cried when *insert spoiler here* died, sortof like when *Insert second spoiler here* died in "Goblet", during the movie.

I definitely cant wait until the movie for "Half Blood Prince" comes out, i'll probably be in tears by the end.

I also noticed that at the end of this, the Harry Potter series turned into a sort of mystery series, because there are many things still not revieled.

I betcha' that the seventh one will be even better. I hope it wont end up being like "Order", which wasnt as good and "Goblet" or "Prince"

hmm seems like most people think Order of the Pheonix went kinda downhill from The Goblet of Fire. honestly, i thought Order was better. although i guess i've read Goblet like 3 times and Order only once still, i'll probably have to read through it the second time before i decide.

but yea i'll bet the 7th one will be the best one. as long as it doesn't end all corny like "harry potter defeated voldemort with love" or anything like that lol.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 26 2006, 12:16 AM)
but yea i'll bet the 7th one will be the best one. as long as it doesn't end all corny like "harry potter defeated voldemort with love" or anything like that lol.

that would be a cop-out ending. if it happens, I think most readers will be severely disapointed.......

*WILD SPECULATION FOLLOWS*

I still think that, of the trio, Ron is the most likely to die. He'll probably force the issue somehow, seeing as how Harry, at this point, will not ALLOW anyone else to get between him and Voldemort. Malfoy or Snape could also be good candidates, even though their sacrifice would be of the wrong nature to make Harry invincible again. It would probably be a "hey, look over there!" while Harry powers up his AK (nice initials for a spell, eh? wink.gif).

On a side note, I don't buy a theory I've seen stating that Harry himself is a Horcrux. There's no way Voldy would put his soul into a vessel containing the power (love) he hates the most. It probably wouldn't survive.

yea i've heard that theory too, i don't think a human can be a horcrux.

what do you make of the theory that *insert obvious name here from half-blood prince* is still alive?

at first i thought "no way" but after looking at a site that had clues and such and i think it's very possible though i'm not set in the belief that the person is still alive, i think it's possible either way.

edit: i decided to vote after all, i went with half-blood prince cuz it's the most emotionally powerful and has the best plot-development in my opinion. i really do think they just get better with each book.

Edited by Freedom_Fighter

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 25 2006, 09:58 PM)
nope, that one is dead, has to be, if for no other reason than the hero has to complete the journey without the protection of said dead character.....

Agreed. It would negate what I loved about that book, sadly. Tragedy is better when it remains tragic.

I cannot decide between HBP and OOTP.

I love how angry Harry is in OOTP. Hes mad, wants answers, wants to be with Sirius and so on. Love the whole book.

HBP brings tons together. We find out what made Tom Riddle, who he was and he came to came to be. I also like that relationships finally started to come together. I was shocked by the death but after I thought about it then it made sense, and yes he is dead.

As for Book 7, I dont want Ron to die and I dont think he will. With Ron and the Weasleys Harry has the closest thing he can have to a family. I dont think Harry will die, God I hope not! I do believe Snape and Luna will die. Luna and Neville are so great together and JKR has said that they will not be.

Snape is an enigma! Is he good, is he bad? Either way he has gone too far on both sides and I dont think he will make it out of there.

I have tons more theories, man am I in deep with the Series! So further questions (and some things I have theories about);

How did Tom Riddle find out about Horcruxes?

What is so important about Lily's eyes, where did her and James work?

How did DD defeat Grindelwald?

What is Snapes patronus? Is he an unregistered animagus?

Is there a connection between Irma Pince and Eileen Prince?

Who is RAB and did he have an accomplice?

Where are the remaining Horcruxes?

And those are only a small part of the questions! The list is a mile long!

I was also kinda hoping Luna and Neville would end up together. But it is Mrs. Rowling's universe and she can do what she wants sad.gif

If Rowling brings back *theonethatdied*, she'll be guilty of fantasy novel cliche. Thus, I think she'll avoid it. Not having *theonethatdied* around will force Harry to become stronger. Better story will come of that, naturally.

I guess this is the official HP discussion thread. Go us!

As for Ron dying, I think it is the most plausible. What other event could have more impact on Harry? He'd probably be so angry and filled with AK goodness that he'd scare Voldemort.

As for Voldemort's fate, here is what I think will happen: He will be killed sans Horcrux protection. As a result, he will become a ghost and realize what Dumbledore was trying to tell him all along. He will know a fate worse than death. To be in the world and yet unable to affect anything. But he could still have the ability to scare, if you consider the relationship between Peeves and The Bloody Baron (If I were Peeves, I'd just laugh at the Baron).

Ok so JKR just wrapped up an interview on the judy and Richard show. The transcript isnt out yet but here is one major highlight on Book 7!

2 people are going to die that she had orginally intended to live and one will live that she was going to have die (Reprieve is her word)!

She also made 2 comments on the will Harry live or die.

She noted the suggestion that she would kill Harry off for the simple reason that no one could write sequels to the book when she's finished.

And that she could write a book on Harrys mid-life crisis, joking of course. Of course I cannot vouch for this as the video is not online yet.

Video for the interview will be coming up soon and I will post the link for those that want to see it.

JKR has also said that she is writing a childrens book, a book for much younger kids and she is not yet done with that either.

Edited by pixey

aw c'mon! i was hoping she'd keep writing stuff that more mature audiences can enjoy too.

but anyway, pixie: i'm really glad someone else agrees with me that OOTP rocked!

and yea snape is a pretty wicked character, huh? even after *insert events of HBP here* you still gotta wonder if he's got another trick up his sleeve and will be turning his story around once again. i mean, even after what he did, considering how his character was made out to be earlier on in the story i can hardly believe he's really a bad guy.

by the way, if this is the official HP discussion thread, can we decide to let spoilers for up to the HBP be allowed? i think if we're gonna discuss it we don't need to do the whole *insert character name here* thing.

but if any spoilers somehow leak out for the 7th book, everybody better keep their mouth shut, cuz i had to end of the half blood prince spoiled for me and i was SO ANGRY!

I remember when the papers broke the death rumour. After looking at the cover of HBP I guessed that the rumour was correct. It wasn't a huge shock when it finally happened...but still fairly sad sad.gif.

If we were to have HP discussion, we'd need another thread with a huge spoiler warning in the title, obvious for all to see. At least I think so.

I'm glad that all the votes so far are for book 4 or book 6. I voted book 4. I thought each book was better than the last until book 5, which was just a notch under book 4, though still great. Book 6 MIGHT be as good as book 4, but I haven't gone through it enough to determine yet. I think it's easily either the 1st or 2nd best of the books.

Can't wait for #7!

I had a thread in the regular forum that included spoilers but it dropped way down. Maybe somebody can bring it back and put it in here. I would love to chat spoilers, theories, characters and so on with my fellow Rush fans. Besides I find it hard to be on a forum that has 50k members, threads come and go so quickly at the Leaky Lounge and over at Mugglenet.

That's too true. Even if you can potentially find an entire thread on one particular theory, it is just too big to handle. I like discussing HP and all, and I'll do it right here smile.gif.

About the length of book seven: JK Rowling has said that she won't make it longer than Phoenix. I think that SUCKS; the trio has way too much work to do and getting it done in any length shorter than Phoenix times two will be a great deal of fast scenes. Of course, since she may pretty much be done with backstory and character development, the action will run quite smoothly and brilliantly.

Be prepared peeps because it looks like our beloved Harry will meet his fate. It was suggested to her that she would have good reason to kill Harry off in Book 7 so that no one could write sequels to the book when she's finished.

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

My guesses on the two deaths, Ron and Hermione. Reprieve, Snape.

I can only pray that JKR isnt going to kill Harry off but will in the epilogue say that he had a great life and died at 150.

just can't see both ending up 6 feet under...seems a little cruel, save the world, but have the only true family he's ever had end up dead.....one or the other ends up dead, and I'm betting it's Ron, just seems the more likely to end up the sacrifice that ends up saving the world