Keyboard / Synth Thread

limeloaf

Hi, can you guys tell me it's possible to connect a USB Midi Controller meant for a laptop to your keyboard that has a USB port and use the controller to augment and change the sounds coming from the keyboard? If you need any information these are the two pieces of technology I'm referring two-

Midi controller- http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B006IBZ2W6

Keyboard- http://www.amazon.co...64059268&sr=8-1

Well first of all the USB connectors will be different so no. There is a computer connector at one end and a device connector at the other of any USB cable.

Trying figure out what you're trying to accomplish here. That controller is minimal at best with just a couple octaves and 4 buttons while the keyboard is not exactly what I would call fully functional. It probably doesn't have many modifiable parameters in the first place. You might as well just use the keyboard by itself. You would be better off with a better controller and using any software in a laptop than that particular keyboard.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Hey Kids!

A couple of vintage pieces for you to drool over :drool:

Purchased from the boys in the late 80s when they were retired/obsolete, first, a Sequencial Circuits sequencer....set-list still attached!

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/066_zpsba5e7727.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/008_zps89644226.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/007_zps5aad2806.jpg

And the pièce de résistance.... Ged's Oberheim OB-Xa!

Let me tell you, If I ever need cheering up or just a bit of inspiration I'll hit that low "E" on the OB-Xa set to the Tom Sawyer patch (you know....the opening fiter sweep salvo!) or play some Camera Eye. Glorious! :notworthy:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/OBXA1_zpsa7bc4837.png

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/OBXA22_zps427e6527.png

Edited by LerxstLuthier
  • Like 2

After using analog and digital synths for the past 25 years I threw in the towel with my Tribute act and went MIDI. I am also playing bass so it makes it much easier to switch everything at once. I have a Roland fantom, Roland Pk-5 and an M audio board all MIDI's into Mainstage 3. I got the lowdown on Geddy's rig from Tony Geranios himself although they use Ableton live9. I have Live 9 but haven't had the time to figure it out just yet.

After using analog and digital synths for the past 25 years I threw in the towel with my Tribute act and went MIDI. I am also playing bass so it makes it much easier to switch everything at once. I have a Roland fantom, Roland Pk-5 and an M audio board all MIDI's into Mainstage 3. I got the lowdown on Geddy's rig from Tony Geranios himself although they use Ableton live9. I have Live 9 but haven't had the time to figure it out just yet.

Jealous. I know that is my future but I don't have the $1500 to spend on a Mac laptop and the software. :huh:

I am really old school (cheap) and stretching every bit of my keys. Controller MIDI'd to a TX81Z, a Yamaha PSR-530 and PK-5's.

I really have to go soft synth. Sucks to be poor.

By a used intel Mac laptop. You can find them for less than what you'd think. I got a MacPro last year for my PTHD rig for around $600. You could probably find a laptop for a similar price. There are companies that only deal in used macs. Since OS X 10.8 some are really cheap, though they don't have much future the cheaper they go.

So, now that I'm back visiting the forum somewhat regularly....

What's the typical Rush head using for synths today? Are you an analog kid or a digital man?

What do you use to get that intro Tom Sawyer dive sound? Are you a dedicated keyboard player playing Rush, or are you a guitarist or bass player that plays keys on the side?

Just checking to see if there are enough here to get some good keyboard conversation going.

Hey guys

I'm wondering if anyone can give me the settings to get the subdivisions sound using garageband presets.

thanks

When you choose your Instrument, select the Keyboard (not the Smart Keyboard). Tap on the picture of the Grand Piano, and from the choices select "leads" from along the top row. Vintage Lead sounds close enough for the Subdivisions sound.

I like to use the double keyboard option (lower right corner), so you can play the low parts and the high parts at the same time.

• Like 1

What's the typical Rush head using for synths today? Are you an analog kid or a digital man?

What do you use to get that intro Tom Sawyer dive sound? Are you a dedicated keyboard player playing Rush, or are you a guitarist or bass player that plays keys on the side?

Just checking to see if there are enough here to get some good keyboard conversation going.

Guitar player here playing bass and keys on the side.

I use an OB-8 for the tom sawyer growl an old minimoog model d for the lead sounds and OP-X vst for other rush sounds,

I grew up at the right time to grow with Rush and the oberheim sound that is so prominent on alot of Rush stuff is pretty much burned in my head (well that and VH Jump that you couldnt escape in 1984) so it was a big influence when I came across an oberheim to just say Ill buy it and after that ask how much.

I prefer the flexability of VSTs of course (OP-X and Alicas Keys from NI being two of my favorites) and the save of real estate in a small room but I have to admit there is something that gives me warm fuzzies when using hardware synths. Hope that helps

JB

I play in a Rush tribute and am the dedicated Keyboardist. You can see my rig listed in the signature below. 7 keyboards. :)

hello. I'm not a keyboard or synth player by any means but i like to learn rush songs because i am a bass player. I am looking for a new keyboard/synth. i have a old keyboard that doesn't have a lot of sounds on it. My question is...... is there a keyboard/synth i can buy that has all the "rush" sounds i would need all in one place. Thank you

hello. I'm not a keyboard or synth player by any means but i like to learn rush songs because i am a bass player. I am looking for a new keyboard/synth. i have a old keyboard that doesn't have a lot of sounds on it. My question is...... is there a keyboard/synth i can buy that has all the "rush" sounds i would need all in one place. Thank you

hardware or software?

What era?

software wise older rush had alot of moog and oberheim.

OP-X is a great oberheim software synth http://www.sonicproj...vstversion.html

minimogue is a good minimoog vst (32 bit only) http://www.vst4free...._vst.php?id=405 (free)

also u-he diva for minimoog https://www.u-he.com/cms/diva

suggest staying away from anything arturia

having said that about software synths I very much belive that having a minimoog in front of you and any given minimoog vst it still just a world of differnce. very hard to explain but something about the analouge synth is just different. In particular the minimoog. But its a huge investment in money, maint, and space as well. so I guess I should also have asked what your priority is? mobility? money? space?

hardware wise not sure what a jack of all trades synth is really. similar, Im not a synth player but a guitarist.

Edited by boofie

I've been reporducing Rush tones in Reason for years. Recently I have been working with Native Instruments' Massive which is part of their Komplete assortment of products. Understanding synthesis is kind of important because Rush patches aren't exactly part of the standard fare when it comes to synth presets. There are lots of nice current hardware synths available but I personally prefer software with midi controllers for variety and more control of the tones I make/use. One can really set up keyboard splits and layering of tones a lot more freely.

I've been reporducing Rush tones in Reason for years. Recently I have been working with Native Instruments' Massive which is part of their Komplete assortment of products. Understanding synthesis is kind of important because Rush patches aren't exactly part of the standard fare when it comes to synth presets. There are lots of nice current hardware synths available but I personally prefer software with midi controllers for variety and more control of the tones I make/use. One can really set up keyboard splits and layering of tones a lot more freely.

I just bought massive like a week ago when they had thier black friday sale. Havent even used it yet. Do you have any decent rush rushish presets you can share?

Not for that yet but I've been working with a guy who used to program presets for a bunch of synth companies in the late 80s/early 90s and he creates patches with ease so I intend to get his help. We've already attempted the wow sound in Natural Science but didn't quite get there. He has done some OB tones and has a Subdivisions patch that he made a couple weeks ago, but I have tones for that already. I made a bunch of patches for Reason for my former Rush band. There are really good Moog refills, even some from Moog. The Maelstrom and Subtractor synths in Reason do some good OB tones. I use Reason because I'm used to it but also I can open multiple instances of it per song making it very useful for live use. Plus it has samplers and sequencers so I can utilize synths, samplers and sequencers with multiple controllers or assign them across a single keyboard. For Spirit of Radio I have a sequencer triggered by one key, a sampler on another and a synth on the rest because of the Combinator which has great, simple programmability. You can combine multiple modules within the Combinator which makes Reason really powerful.

But since my day gig is as a game/picture sound designer I use all kinds of synths as sound effects elements so I have been expanding my palette. There are some cool things in Logic but they're only available there or in the supplemental Mainstage app. I've been using Komplete for a few years now, mostly Massive and Kontakt. My coworker really likes Reaktor too. Komplete has a lot of stuff in it. Really good for composition.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I play in a Rush tribute and am the dedicated Keyboardist. You can see my rig listed in the signature below. 7 keyboards. :)

I had a DW8000 back in the 90s and loved it. I remember getting decent sounds for 2112 intro and Subdivisions. Nowadays I'm using just a Kronos 61-key with a Novation X-station61 MIDI controller. I also use an FCB1010 programmed as bass pedals. Surely you don't bring 7 keyboards to setup and teardown at every gig? If so, kudos to you... that's dedication.

I had a DW8000 back in the 90s and loved it. I remember getting decent sounds for 2112 intro and Subdivisions. Nowadays I'm using just a Kronos 61-key with a Novation X-station61 MIDI controller. I also use an FCB1010 programmed as bass pedals. Surely you don't bring 7 keyboards to setup and teardown at every gig? If so, kudos to you... that's dedication.

Yes, the DW8000 has some great analog patches. A lot of fat bass type stuff which I control with my PK-5 pedals to use on those synth/bass heavy songs, when the bass isn't actually being played. Yes I do use 7 keyboards at every gig. Actually, I stopped using my EX8000. It was not working right for quite awhile, so I have been used to not using it.

Edited by Distant Signals

Geranios has Rush going through Ableton these days. Gone are the days of hardware synths and samplers. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Hello All:

Thought I'd chime-in and keep this thread going...

Been visiting the Rush Forum for about a year now, and became a member this past Sunday...

For those who are interested, I'm a Columbus-based rock musician/singer who also plays electric/acoustic guitar as well as keys, synth, and pedal board.

I guess you could call me a (Rush fanatic) 'digital man' as I do not own any analog gear, mostly solid-state amps along with a digital synth.

My keyboard rig consists of a Roland Fantom-X6, PK-5A, and KC-110. I also run an SM-58 into the keyboard amp for live vocals (with a touch of reverb). Currently, I have about 25 patches dedicated to Rush sounds alone, mostly from the Moving Pictures and Signals albums; I also have an assortment of samples from Permanent Waves, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, which I trigger using the pedal board while I sing and play guitar. In addition, I have a few songs programmed into the sequencer, including Subdivisions, Countdown, and Manhattan Project. All told, there are about 15 songs in my Rush repertoire, the most recent being "Caravan". Being a mostly 80's Rush fan, I would like to add a song from Grace Under Pressure sometime down the road...

Anyway, I really enjoy reading these threads and appreciate the treasure trove of insights that other musicians have to offer. My enthusiasm for (Rush) music continues to be propelled forward by all of this stuff and hopefully I can bring something to the metaphoric table...

By the way, concerning Tom Sawyer, if anyone has a good sample (WAVE file) of the sweeping Oberheim effect that occurs at the very beginning, as well as mid-way thru the song, I would be interested in hearing it and, should that person be interested in hearing any of my Rush samples, feel free to shoot an email my way at laser991@hotmail.com.

-RetroRocker